Retaining water after a night of drinking

Options
Does anyone else find themselves a few pounds heavier for a few days after drinking? It was my sister in laws Hen Party at the weekend and according to the scale i've gained 4lb after one night of drinking! I've heard people say they're lighter the next day due to dehydration but I always seem to be heavier!

Replies

• Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm usually 2 pounds lighter after drinking the night before, but it comes back, it's just from being dehydrated like you said. I'm not sure why it would show a gain.....does it go away after a day or two?
  • daisabelle
    daisabelle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Not sure yet, It was saturday night. Hoping it'll clear off by Wednesday. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to gain 4lb of fat in one weekend? :ohwell:
  • xcrystalx
    xcrystalx Posts: 19
    Options
    were you drinking high calorific drinks and eating a lot before hand? if im going out drinking i dont eat much that day and stick to vodka and diet coke and i always lose weight.
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm usually heavier, but I tend to drink extra water when I am drinking because I don't want to become dehydrated (helps reduce hangovers). The other thing is I tend to eat salty foods when I am drinking, and this can make you retain water. I would give it a couple of days and I bet you go back to "normal" soon.
  • QuaanB
    QuaanB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I seem to be a few pounds heavier after a night of drinking, especially if i had a lot. After a couple of days the excess water seems to go away :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm always heavier as well. I just drink lots of water and it goes away.
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    ♥ That is soooo me!! Especially if i drink Cocktails.. Beer goes right through me.. but, the good stuff always leaves me feeling bloated for a few days... I try not to weigh myself the day after I drink because I know it will just piss me off ♥ Someone told me to take a Water pill on the day you know your going to drink alot of alcohol. I know you will have to keep running to the bathroom but hey it may stop you from gaining weight or retaining alot of water weight♥
  • chloecox
    chloecox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    after just recovering from three weeks of heavy alcohol consumption (just finished second year uni exams, this is not the amount I usually drink!) I can definitely feel the impact of my splurge! I am extremely bloated and feel a few pounds heavier, but I have found that drinking lots of water improves things!!
  • daisabelle
    daisabelle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was on vodka and diet soda for the majority of the night (but it was a lot of vodka! :embarassed:) and a few beers...plus there was a lot of finger food there, and we all know finger food= sodium! :laugh: I've upped my water intake for the past few days and got back into my exercise routine. I attend a weekly weight watchers meeting to keep me in check and really want it to go by Wednesday (when the meeting is)
  • regelski2
    regelski2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same thing here 4 lbs heavier after a rumchata night! Ugh