low-cal low-fat protein low-sodium sources?

Options
Besides boiled/grilled chicken and protein powder, where else can I get low-cal, low-fat, and low-sodium protein sources to meet my 193g per day? Everything good seems to have one of those three bad things (think peanut butter and canned beans, high fat and sodium, respectively). Is there some magical protein source I am missing out on?

Replies

• babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    How about Turkey?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Try google. Tuna is great though.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Opt for dried beans, eliminate most of the sodium of canned beans or buy the no-salt canned beans at the very least.
  • 5weeks
    5weeks Posts: 38
    Options
    Egg whites :)
  • glenna221
    glenna221 Posts: 46
    Options
    Some veggies AND grains have protein. check this article out. while veggies (asparagus) and quinoa are not 100% protein, they can pack a pretty good % of overall cals from protein. If you eat dairy, fat free greek yogurt can pack 15+ grams of protein per serving. Just watch the sugar content and make sure to get fat free versions.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegan-protein-percentages/
  • dietnfit
    dietnfit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Egg whites or egg beaters, fish (salmon, tilapia), ground turkey (turkey burgers, use in tacos, meatloaf), lean roast beef..

Hope this helps!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Seriously? Try google. Tuna is great though.

Let's be nice....:huh:
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    It is becoming really easy to buy low sodium products now. You mentioned beans being a good source of protein but being worried about the sodium. Go to Whole Foods or an organic Co-op and look for "no sodium added" beans. I recommend Eden Organics, because their cans also are BPA free.

Fish is another great source of protein, and it's full of good fats. You will need to take care to buy wild-caught fish though and research which kinds of fish are not mercury contaminated. Wild Alaskan salmon is always a great choice, as well as albacore tuna.

Try grass fed, organic, Omega 3 eggs. I get some locally from a farm that raises eggs, and they have half the cholesterol as normal store-bought eggs and are a great source of good Omega 3 fats.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Egg whites :)

Yes egg whites are the purest source of protein you can get, but they are very dull. I usually try to add some sauteed onions, bellpeppers, & mushrooms to mine.
  • 5weeks
    5weeks Posts: 38
    Options
    They are also awesome with a little parmesan cheese and spinach:happy: