Hyperactive Thyroid

Options
Has anyone taken medicine to regulate a hyperactive thyroid? I started about a month ago, and I am noticing rapid weight gain with little to no change in my routine. It is kind of scary. I know the medicine is important, but all of my hard work has gone down the drain. I know the medicine is slowing my metabolism, but I did not expect it to take such a drastic toll on my numbers. I'm just very frustrated because I am one of the few people who actually GAINED weight from hyperthyroidism, and now, I'm gaining even more. I don't know what to do... :sad:

Replies

• sally1313
    sally1313 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi:

You are not alone. The same thing happened to me. I have a hyperactive thyroid and had to have my thyroid removed with the radioactive iodine treatment and have been on the medication for quite some time. I too had reached a weight I thought I could live with through hard work but my happiness was short lived. I've gained weight and no matter what I do it seems like I can not shake this extra weight. I too am frustrated beyond frustrated. I work out faithfully a minimum of 4 days a week. I incorporate body sculpting classes, boxing, cycling, bootcamps and still no luck. But I also know I would be worse if I didn't continue to work out so just don't give up hope. Though I have not lost any weight my muscle to fat ratio is pretty awesome and that did give me some comfort to know that what I do though the number on the scale isn't dropping is actually producing some great benefits.

Sally
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You are going to need to make changes to your eating and exercise.

Hyperactive thyroid means you are producing extra thyroid hormone which in the end means you have an increased metabolism. If you gained weight, then you have to look at why. Typically it's because the increase in metabolism has increased appetite, which leads to an increase in calories and then weight gain.

I did notice a weight gain when I started taking the meds. But once I started journalling my food and making changes that were suitable for me, I dropped the weight.
  • sally1313
    sally1313 Posts: 3
    Options
    Its true it means you have an increased metabolism but only until you are diagnosed with it and medications or other corrections are done. As for me they found out about it fairly quickly after it started and within 2 weeks I had my thyroid radiated out and have been on medication since. Yes food intake does play a part but there are numerous other factors that go into why we retain weight as well such as age, other medications/conditions persons have, etc. I wish everyone well and continued success in meeting your weight loss goals.