Thinking about competing in powerlifting

Options
Jen Sinkler just put out an ebook that answers a lot of questions about what you need to know going into your first competition. I like all the info in one place.
http://www.unapologeticallypowerful.com/friends/?r=8ad854d0b4dd

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I also like that it is written by two strong women.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Bumpity
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I've actually been considering it but am a bit over-whelmed. @nakedraygun can you help me too? What do first? Find a meet or find a fed?
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    I would find which federation does the most meets in your area. You can look up meets on powerlifting watch.com or go to a specific Feds website to look up meets.

Don't be overwhelmed, it's so much fun.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I would find which federation does the most meets in your area. You can look up meets on powerlifting watch.com or go to a specific Feds website to look up meets.

Yeah I've been looking on there. There's really only one I can travel to. Eerie PA I think. I should really just do it.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

I agree, find a fed, find a meet and just do it! The more you do the more fun it gets, especially when you really start getting to know people.
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yeah I've been looking on there. There's really only one I can travel to. Eerie PA I think. I should really just do it.

Do it! Do it! Also, check which Fed seems to have the most nearby then go to their website and check to see if they have more listed on their calendar. I lift in the Southern Powerlifting Federation (SPF) and unless the meet director adds it to the calendar on Powerlifting Watch (and many don't), it won't be listed.
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Do it @arditarose! Meets are so fun! If anything, at least go watch one first so you have an idea if you are still unsure.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Anyone else feel this way about powerlifting watch that it is a terrible, terrible, terrible webtsite to use? Stuck in Web 0.5. Use it for reference if you have to, but after you find the federation you want to compete in, look them up on Facebook and like/subscribe to their events there. You'll get notifications and better and more accurate information that way.
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    Anyone else feel this way about powerlifting watch that it is a terrible, terrible, terrible webtsite to use? Stuck in Web 0.5. Use it for reference if you have to, but after you find the federation you want to compete in, look them up on Facebook and like/subscribe to their events there. You'll get notifications and better and more accurate information that way.

Yes.