Post operative recovery advice

Options
Hi there,
I'm 5ft 2 and my start weight was 146 and my goal weight was 119.

I weighed in on Monday at 118 (yay - super delighted)!!!! but have decided that i'd like to lower my goal to 116/115 gradually over next few weeks...

I worked so hard over the last 4/5 months to reach target and feeling like I've really achieved something. Although on Monday I was disappointed at how much of an anti climax it felt, think the enjoyment has come from my clothes etc.

However, this tuesday I underwent a breast reduction & breast uplift - eek. Part of my reward for losing weight, but also due to a back injury.

I'm quite concerned that I've literally just hit target within this week and all of a sudden totally now sedentary and exercise has come to an absolute halt, I exercised a lot before because I actually really enjoy it.

I was just wondering if people have been in my position, have any words of wisdom or advice for me? My Fitbit said I burnt 1300 cal yesterday - I think because I'm just laid down recovering, I can barely move and it hurts to walk so can't do much at the moment but just rest. but yikes not going to get much of a deficit with 1300 am I? eek.

Doesn't help its December and in surrounded by chocolate, haha. But somehow - no idea how, I'm resisting.

Thanks in advance X

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    I would just focus in healing for now and try not to go too crazy with eating. You do need more calories than your fitbit is counting since it can't calculate calories burned healing from surgery. When you get approved to start being more active then you can tighten back up a little.
  • Bex_hostie
    Bex_hostie Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's true. It's just how the timing worked out, hit target then wham. I'm guessing through the op itself I probably lost a bit of weight ;) but I'm so bloated and big from the surgery medications etc I'm not getting on the scales just yet as I don't want to dishearten myself...
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Calculate your maintenance calorie intake for your current weight at a sedentary (and recovery) lifestyle, and eat at that level while you heal.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will rebuild the amount of glycogen stored around the liver and in muscle tissue when eating at maintenance. Glycogen storage takes a lot of water, so a 4-5 pound bump on the scale isn't fat weight gain. It's going to be water weight.

Heal up well! The exercise will be waiting for you when you're recovered.
  • Bex_hostie
    Options
    That's a really interesting post, thank you! I would've assumed that was a fat gain so I'm glad you've pointed that out. Only thing I'm unsure of really is where my maintenance calories lie, my Fitbit is saying 1300 a day which the poster suggested earlier it maybe more than that. I've found I'm hungrier but I don't know if that's because I'm laid around with nothing else to do so thinking about food more. I can't wait to be allowed to exercise again but they did say at least 6 weeks...
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Bex_hostie wrote: »
    That's a really interesting post, thank you! I would've assumed that was a fat gain so I'm glad you've pointed that out. Only thing I'm unsure of really is where my maintenance calories lie, my Fitbit is saying 1300 a day which the poster suggested earlier it maybe more than that. I've found I'm hungrier but I don't know if that's because I'm laid around with nothing else to do so thinking about food more. I can't wait to be allowed to exercise again but they did say at least 6 weeks...
    So, I'm going to say this with a slight chuckle, "Quit over-thinking and over-complicating it."

I do the same damn thing with so many issues, so I know where you are coming from. Keep it simple, silly (K.I.S.S. method of life).

Plug in your current numbers into MFP, set lifestyle to sedentary, and weight loss to zero. That will give you a really good estimate. In 2 or 3 weeks, you can always tweak your numbers if you feel it necessary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,891 Member
    Options
    I had (much simpler!) surgery in June, a couple of months into my weight loss process (SW 183 in April, weighed around 165 in June, CW 129). I found that I held on to weight for a while during the healing process, even though I believe I was still at a calorie deficit. (As an aside, it would've been smarter - much smarter - to go to maintenance for a bit while healing, I think, but it worked out OK - I'm fine.)

Based on that experience, and the fact that you've had *much* more invasive surgery, it doesn't surprise me that you'd add a bit of weight while healing, even if eating at maintenance. But I suspect it's water weight, or some other temporary effect - though I'm guessing based on my experience, not any kind of scientific knowledge.

After my surgery (laparoscopic gall bladder removal, so pretty minor), my weight held nearly steady for maybe 3 weeks to nearly a month, despite staying on plan, then started dropping steadily again. So, I'd suggest that you try to eat at maintenance (for better healing), give it time (until you're back to regular activity levels, even, which could be quite some time), and see how your weight settles out.

I bet you'll settle back OK.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I just had surgery, too (an arm lift) and had the same concerns. But now that I'm in recovery, I'm realizing how important it is to just rest and heal. It's hard to be hyper motivated for so long, and then be told to sit down for weeks or months! My first few days after surgery, I was starving and so tired. I basically ate, took my meds, and slept every few hours. I braved the scale today out of curiosity, and I'm up 5 pounds. I know it's all water and it'll go away really quickly.
  • Bex_hostie
    Options
    I have been way more hungry than usual, and not been active at all. Just slept on and off for days. Yesterday I decided time for some gentle exercise so I walked into town with my fiancé, very slowly to the cinema.... Well we got there and I had a pick n mix then slept through the entire film, ha! So I guess the healing is really taking the strength out of me. I've decided to relax about it, slightly, I don't want to undo all my hard work but like you its have said I need to eat and give me body the energy it needs. I feel guilty because I'm not active at all but I figured out my body is hungry for a reason. We were bad over weekend with our food choices, but we don't do that very often so that's fine. It was a recovery cheat weekend, haha. My fiancé is very health & fitness minded so we both back on it from yesterday - although I'm not really eating in a deficit, I'm at maintenance just for the next week or so. I figured once I can start doing longer walks etc I can tweak the eating then to follow :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm 5ft 2 and my start weight was 146 and my goal weight was 119.

I weighed in on Monday at 118 (yay - super delighted)!!!! but have decided that i'd like to lower my goal to 116/115 gradually over next few weeks...

I worked so hard over the last 4/5 months to reach target and feeling like I've really achieved something. Although on Monday I was disappointed at how much of an anti climax it felt, think the enjoyment has come from my clothes etc.

However, this tuesday I underwent a breast reduction & breast uplift - eek. Part of my reward for losing weight, but also due to a back injury.

I'm quite concerned that I've literally just hit target within this week and all of a sudden totally now sedentary and exercise has come to an absolute halt, I exercised a lot before because I actually really enjoy it.

I was just wondering if people have been in my position, have any words of wisdom or advice for me? My Fitbit said I burnt 1300 cal yesterday - I think because I'm just laid down recovering, I can barely move and it hurts to walk so can't do much at the moment but just rest. but yikes not going to get much of a deficit with 1300 am I? eek.

Doesn't help its December and in surrounded by chocolate, haha. But somehow - no idea how, I'm resisting.

Thanks in advance X

@Bex_hostie I hope your recovery goes well. We all have set backs as we move forward.

Goggle the term Systemic Enzymes and how they can reduce recovery time and reduce/resolve scars. There are many brands and options. Curing I am trying a brand from Germany that has been on the market for 40-50 years because there is a lot of research on this product and usage by MD's in Europe. It is called Wobenzym N. In fact just Google Wobenzym + any condition/disease.

Best of success.
  • Ggmaccer2015
    Ggmaccer2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Bex

I also found I held onto the weight hit abit then it came off again, dont over think it and I also didn't wright post op to not go scales crazy! I ate low cal high volume foods like soup and veggies too

Good luck
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I have been way more hungry than usual, and not been active at all. Just slept on and off for days. Yesterday I decided time for some gentle exercise so I walked into town with my fiancé, very slowly to the cinema.... Well we got there and I had a pick n mix then slept through the entire film, ha! So I guess the healing is really taking the strength out of me. I've decided to relax about it, slightly, I don't want to undo all my hard work but like you its have said I need to eat and give me body the energy it needs. I feel guilty because I'm not active at all but I figured out my body is hungry for a reason. We were bad over weekend with our food choices, but we don't do that very often so that's fine. It was a recovery cheat weekend, haha. My fiancé is very health & fitness minded so we both back on it from yesterday - although I'm not really eating in a deficit, I'm at maintenance just for the next week or so. I figured once I can start doing longer walks etc I can tweak the eating then to follow :)

On Sunday, I went to the grocery store and came home and slept for over an hour! So crazy to go from super active to unable to do much at all.
  • phoenix41484
    phoenix41484 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, this is my first time commenting in a discussion but I'm glad I found this group. I recently had spinal surgery on 11/6 and have 6 more weeks of no activity until I can start PT around Feb. This was due to a back injury I've had for almost 2 years so my activity was greatly reduced during that whole time. This was all very frustrating as I had been rock climbing and super active before the injury. As soon as I stopped being active, I started to gain weight back (I know shocker, lol) and being so limited was very discouraging. If all goes well, I should be able to return to all activities after I fully heal and go through PT. I know this is prob. several months away but I'm starting to feel some hope that I will be able to go out and do everything that I loved to do before the injury. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and I hope everyone continues to be healing well :) Having to stay put is AWFUL...