Knees get warm after exercise

Options
I have recently started exercising three weeks ago. Basic 5x5 weightlifting and some kettlebell swings. This week I added some walking, jogging and a bit of running on the treadmill. Never more than 30 minutes. Usually 10-20 minutes only.

After my jogs my knees get quite warm feeling and they feel sort of "tired out" the evening after exercising. Sometimes my knees "crack" when I do a squat stretch and when I am squatting with weights. These things have me worried there could be inflammation and possible injury in the future. Kind of a strange feeling for me for my knees to get so warm.

Any tips to help me avoid injury and pain as I continue exercising? Should I avoid the treadmill for cardio? I'd like to lower my weight and especially body fat. I am getting more disciplined at my food diary this week as well, which will be my main focus for weight loss.

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty normal to me. As long as you're not feeling any significant pain in the joint, I wouldn't sweat it.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Do they hurt (and not just tired muscle hurt)? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it. My knees typically pop when I first warm up, but I was told that if there is no pain it isn't a big deal. Honestly, the amount they've popped has significantly decreased as I've continued to exercise. Your knees are probably getting tired from squats, swings and running.
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. No luckily there is no pain just a bit of warmth and a small amount of stiffness the next day. I am seeing this as a sign to keep strengthening my knees.