Anyone have a good/ simple low cal pumpkin recipe

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
yesterday I made a protein pumpkin loaf. Unfortunately all I had around was a strawberry flavored whey at my parents house which I think screwed up the taste but was bored and wanted to cook. I'm now back home and have more flavors of protein. Yesterday I used 2 servings of canned pumpkin, 40 grams of oats, 14 grams of chickpea flower, cinnamon, 2.5 servings egg beaters, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, Greek yogurt, and a splash of cashew milk. I mixed all together and made a low cal pumpkin protein bread, unfortunately it did not taste amazing. Anyone have a simple low cal recipe that doesn't use any white or whole wheat flour (preferably oat flour) that tastes good?(: also tips for keeping it moist, but not mushy? Thanks! Any recipes regarding this too is fine. So cookies, loafs, breads...etc!(:

Replies

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I eat pumpkin the same way I eat sweet potatoes: plain (and hot) with a bit of cinnamon and sugar. I've made pumpkin loaves with almond meal for some gluten free friends of mine, and that's turned out fine. Oat flour will soak up most of the pumpkin's moisture, I think, so if you use it try not to over-mix. Otherwise the bread will come out more tough than chewy.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    There's a pumpkin curry soup recipe I use that is reasonable on cals. It's on pumpkinnook.com in the recipe section. I just leave off any suggestions such as half and half or cream and substitute lowfat milk or fat free sour cream . Tastes SUPER good.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    CyberTone's Pumpkin Pie Bars​

1.00 container 8 oz. (454g), Original Cream Cheese, room temperature
    1.00 container 100% Natural Pumpkin 15 oz. (425g) Can
    12.00 tbsp, ​(184g) ​Original Egg Substitute (Egg Whites)
    1.00 tsp, Vanilla extract
    1.00 tsp, Spices - Cinnamon, ground
    0.25 tsp, Spices - Ginger, ground
    0.25 tsp, Spices - Nutmeg, ground
    0.25 tsp, Spices - Cloves, ground ​(optional)​
    0.25 tsp, Spices - Mace, ground ​(optional)​
    14.00 g, ​(1/2 cup) ​Sweetener, Sucralose, Maltodextrin, Granulated Equivalent, Compare to Splenda

​Beat cream cheese in medium bowl with hand mixer for 30 seconds. Add in pumpkin, sucralose, vanilla, and spices and mix until blended. Add egg substitute and mix on slowest speed for 15 seconds. Pour into 8"x8" glass baking dish lightly sprayed with cooking oil. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350F and continue baking for 50 minutes. Servings: 12.

Serving size: 1/12 (52 g)
    Amount Per Serving: Calories 95, Total Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 4g, Cholesterol 23mg, Sodium 123mg, Total Carbohydrate 5g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 88%, Vitamin C 3%, Calcium 3%, Iron 3%
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    For dessert, I like Cambodian pumpkin custard. Essentially a coconut milk custard cooked in a whole pumpkin where you cut away a hole around the stem so you can scoop out the seeds. The classic ways to do this is to either steam the whole pumpkin and custard together or to bake in the oven. I find zapping on the defrost setting of the microwave until both the pumpkin is cooked and the custard is set works well.

Example recipe with photos.
    http://theasiangrandmotherscookbook.com/2008/10/01/pumpkin-coconut-custard/
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Ive made a version of this ( a few substitutions to suit my tastes) and thought it was great!

http://proteinpow.com/2014/09/pumpkin-pie-protein-bread.html

Protein Pow has a lot of pumpkin recipes on the site.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Turned out pretty good!(: I adjusted the recipe a little and topped with some oats to give it a crunch topping, but it's delicious! Especially with some fat free cream cheese on top(:d76uztjax9pr.jpg
    1vfsw226vwjt.jpg