Diagnosed with a hiatial hernia

Options
Diagnosed with a hiatal hernia with a 1/3 of my stomach in my chest cavity, which has collapsed my bottom of lungs. I have shortness of breathe and do not know what kind of exercises to do. I found out about all of this by looking up my own hospital records....any ideas????

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    That is a doctor question, 100%! It sounds terrible! I'd probably just lay on the ground and wiggle my legs :/ Maybe attempt weight lifting as long as it didn't get me out of breath or strain my core. Using machines not free weights in this case. I reallly don't know what's safe for you though!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Google is our friend. http://gicare.com/diseases/hiatus-hernia/
    As expected, no core exercises. Bending and stooping can make it worse too. With the collapsed lung cardio exercises would be more challenging. Slow down if you experience pain or shortness of breath. I'd think walking, treadmill, and squats that work your big calf muscles would be fine.

You will benefit from losing weight; less pressure on your stomach.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    presshard wrote: »
    Diagnosed with a hiatal hernia with a 1/3 of my stomach in my chest cavity, which has collapsed my bottom of lungs. I have shortness of breathe and do not know what kind of exercises to do. I found out about all of this by looking up my own hospital records....any ideas????

Is it a sliding hernia or is it fixed? If it is fixed, you need to speak with your doctor about potential strangulation and corrective surgery.

If you have a sliding hernia, here is what has helped mine:
    • lose weight
    • don't wear anything tight around your waist (especially when eating)
    • eat many small meals spread out over the day rather than a couple of big ones
    • eat small portions of foods that digest slowly (like broccoli, cauliflower, meat, etc)
    • drink a cup of water and take a short walk immediately upon waking up. The weight of the water can make the stomach slide back into the abdomen

I really would recommend talking to your doctor to find out exactly what the diagnosis showed and how it affect you. Hiatal hernias are actually quite common, especially in people who are overweight, and most don't even know they have one.

As far as exercises, do what you can but lower the intensity if you get short of breath. Walking would be a great one because you have total control over the speed and distance.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Google is our friend. http://gicare.com/diseases/hiatus-hernia/
    As expected, no core exercises. Bending and stooping can make it worse too. With the collapsed lung cardio exercises would be more challenging. Slow down if you experience pain or shortness of breath. I'd think walking, treadmill, and squats that work your big calf muscles would be fine.

You will benefit from losing weight; less pressure on your stomach.

Great post as usual. Love your new picture!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Get a stool test for h. pylori. It often goes hand in hand with hiatal hernias.

Might wanna look into a kinesiologist. They will know how to manually push your stomach down.
  • presshard
    presshard Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    That is a doctor question, 100%! It sounds terrible! I'd probably just lay on the ground and wiggle my legs :/ Maybe attempt weight lifting as long as it didn't get me out of breath or strain my core. Using machines not free weights in this case. I reallly don't know what's safe for you though!

• presshard
    presshard Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have found out more here then at any hospital!! So I need to find out what kind of hernia I have , next on list... Thank you for all of this help... Good information about exercise..