Can't find a diet that works

Options
So April 2016 will make one year of my fatloss journey. And although I've gotten stronger and more confident in the gym.. I'm still finding it incredibly difficult to make any type of diet work. I've tried cals in/cals out without focusing on macros (probably the thing I stuck to the most but that's when I didn't know any better). I've tried IIFYM and ate mostly junk (meaning I did not eat enough just to fit in junk all day). I've tried clean eating and I've liked this method the best! Except I by like Wednesday or Thursday I get bored and end up binging almost all weekend. I'm wondering if maybe bulking/cuting will work best for me but I don't know much about this method and don't want to waste more time than I should. Do you guys know of any informative articles, old threads, and websites that simplifies it?

Side note: Please don't comment on me labeling food as clean/junk. Please.

Replies

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Not to sure on the bulking/cutting but there is so much great foods out there, you shouldn't be getting bored. Get creative and enjoy a wide range of fantastic healthy foods. What helps me stay on track is I pre plan my meals a week in advance so even on the weekends I know what I am going to eat. If I do end up eating out or at someone's house I just do my best, that's all anyone can do. Hope you find something that works for you.
  • karwowski1992
    karwowski1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not to sure on the bulking/cutting but there is so much great foods out there, you shouldn't be getting bored. Get creative and enjoy a wide range of fantastic healthy foods. What helps me stay on track is I pre plan my meals a week in advance so even on the weekends I know what I am going to eat. If I do end up eating out or at someone's house I just do my best, that's all anyone can do. Hope you find something that works for you.

Maybe that's. Maybe I'm just getting bored with my foods. Any good websites for simple meal ideas?
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I dislike the "d-word" because in our current culture it seems that "d-word-ing" is something done temporarily to reach some number on the scale. Then we can go back to "enjoying food again". Absolute b.s.

I refuse to "d-word".

Instead, I think we have to work on our overall eating habits. Is it a mind game? Sure, but words have power, and the words we use effect our thinking.

One of the eating habits that works for me personally is variety. Trying to eat the same foods week after week after week is boring, monotonous, and doesn't work for me in the long term.

At 1.5 pounds weight loss per week, MFP sets up a 5,250 calorie deficit. I'm constantly reminding myself that if I over eating my calorie goal 1 or 2 days a week it is still nearly impossible to undo the whole week. This helps me stick with it.

If dieting isn't working for you, then quit trying to diet.
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, quit looking at it as a diet and more of a lifestyle change. To me, preparing yourself for a diet is almost like setting yourself up for failure. You have all this build up, "I'll start my diet Monday. I can't eat this and this and this. I hope I can do this. What about blank date where I have a party. Etc etc etc" I do iifym but the it's how I live. I don't eat junk. Iifym should not be a reason to eat junk. It's a FLEXIBLE diet but it shouldn't be one full of empty carbs. I guarantee nothing but empty carbs do not fit your macros.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stop focusing on "clean eating." It means lots of different things anyway.
    Making good food choices for yourself is not all or nothing. Moderation works with choices. :)

Some links you asked for:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10040368/some-thoughts-on-starting-over
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Read the book "The Rosedale Diet". A real eye opener! You'll find all your answers there. :)