not loosing help!

Options
I am eating between 600 -700 calories a day. Ive lost 5 punds lotal and cant seem to loose more. Im stuck. I feel cravings specially at night so i usually have a hard boiled egg or a turkey frank. Any advice? I also try to drink a gallon of water a day. I really want to loose 20 pounds and i feel im going too slow

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose the 5 pounds? Are you working out? Are you using a food scale? Current height, weight and age?
  • paulina_sperber
    paulina_sperber Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 5 weeks. Im 35 years old. Im 5"2 and i am now 128-29. Cant get past this weight. I am not working out due to a bone bruise on my knee and i dont use a food scale.
  • paulina_sperber
    Options
    I look forward to your advice :)
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Ok, well, if you lost 5 pounds in 5 weeks, you are averaging 1 pound per week, so you are running a deficit of 500 calories per day on average. Based on your stats your TDEE if sedentary is around 1600 to maintain (via two different calculators), so you are netting around 1100 on average. Your rate of loss tells the tale. This would be an absolute minimum for a female of shorter stature.

I would highly recommend using a food scale and eating 1200 calories per day. Maybe 1100 as you get closer to goal.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at least 1200 calories. Anything less and you may do permanent damage to yourself.
    Get a scale and weigh all your food, measure your liquids with measuring cups and spoons designed for that purpose.
    You are within your normal BMI for your height so weight loss will be slow, and tight logging of your intake will help you get results, especially if you can't work out.
    Expect to lose between .5-1lb a week.

You can do this- it is just slow, sometimes very slow.
    I speak from experience. ( 5'1 was 130 now 103)

Cheers, h.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    For a few of your points specifically though, while you'd like to lose faster, you're better off to lose slowly. The faster you lose, the more of your loss will be from lean muscle mass. The slower you lose, the more likely it is to come from fat. I always joke that we all want to look good naked at the end, and the best way to get there is to lose fat and preserve muscle mass.

For nighttime hunger, I find that I am always hungry at night, so I will typically save a third of my calories for evening snacking.
  • paulina_sperber
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! Night munchies are my worse enemy haha but i will keep it up and start measuring i guess...
  • paulina_sperber
    Options
    Do u guys eat cheese? Or black beans?
  • paulina_sperber
    Options
    Thank you both again for taking the time to reply. I got so excited to see my replies
  • blankiefinder
    Options

I eat everything in moderation. So I eat meat, veggies, fruit, dairy, starches, grains, and the occasional treat. I try to make sure I hit my protein goals, and my calorie goal, and pretty much let the rest fall where it may.

I make a yummy shredded chicken dish with black beans, corn, salsa, sour cream and rice, it's one of my favourite meals. I just reduce the portion of rice as it has a lot of calories, and increase the portion of chicken to help fit my goals above. It took me approximately 7 months to lose 35 pounds, but I wish I had lost a bit slower and maintained more muscle mass.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Not the black beans, just not a fan of them. But I love cheese, all kinds. I usually get myself a small portion of something tasty each week, to have with crackers and fruit a couple of evenongs a week. This week it is Bourough Market Stilton, imported form the UK.

Work your calories so you have some left for an evening snack like @blankiefinder said. It doesn't matter how or when you eat, just make sure you are eating the calories MFP gave you to reach your goal. You don't have to exercise, MFP hasn't accounted for any in your goal.

Cheers, h.
  • miguelacaballero19
    Options
    Hello ive lost 20lbs in about 2.5 months by intermittent fasting and using myfitnesspal. and as for the cheese what really helps my night cravings (and overall) is cottage cheese. Cottage cheese comes premixed with sour cream, that's why the creaminess and flavor. Try buying the large curd low fat (i dont like fat free, it tastes too much like chemical) Pour 1/3 cup on a coffee filter, then rinse the sour cream off until only the curds are left then put it in a bowl/tupperware then add another 1/3 cup straight from the container, mix it and spread it on a toasted wheat bread. It only takes me about 2-3 minutes to prepare! and as far as other cheeses, well, i believe this is the only healthy cheese! check the nut. facts, youll be surprised how much protein it has per serving.

Remember, you know what's in the past and not in the future, so compensate 300 calories for the night snack attack on cottage cheese!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If you aren't using a food scale, and are losing about a pound a week, you are eating closer to 1100 calories per day, not 600-700. And you absolutely shouldn't eat any less than you are. Give it more time. Even if I ate the exact thing every day I wouldn't lose the same amount each week. Some weeks you hold onto water weight so the scale doesn't show the fat you've lost. For females this is particularly common around their TOM, but among other things can be also be related to eating a lot of sodium.

5 pounds is a great beginning. Give it time, I doubt you are really stalled.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    well, i believe this is the only healthy cheese

Do tell
  • miguelacaballero19
    Options
    Not the black beans, just not a fan of them. But I love cheese, all kinds. I usually get myself a small portion of something tasty each week, to have with crackers and fruit a couple of evenongs a week. This week it is Bourough Market Stilton, imported form the UK.

Work your calories so you have some left for an evening snack like @blankiefinder said. It doesn't matter how or when you eat, just make sure you are eating the calories MFP gave you to reach your goal. You don't have to exercise, MFP hasn't accounted for any in your goal.

Cheers, h.
    Shes right no need to exercise, as long as you input all intake and not go over your max.
  • dhaug44
    dhaug44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Besides increasing your calories you need to give you body a break it is under an enormous amount of stress go up to 1500 or 1600 for a week and the back down to 1200. Also make sure you logging your drinks as well as your food every single calorie
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I love cheese, and black beans, but the cheese is certainly a favorite. I must say I was sadly disappointed at how small an actual portion of cheese is when you weight it on the kitchen scale. The scale is a must for calorie accuracy. You've gotten some great advice (save some calories, take it slower, be patient). Are you able to do some swimming, or walking? You don't need to be active to lose weight, but it can certainly help. (also 5'2" and a little bit older than you)
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Hello ive lost 20lbs in about 2.5 months by intermittent fasting and using myfitnesspal. and as for the cheese what really helps my night cravings (and overall) is cottage cheese. Cottage cheese comes premixed with sour cream, that's why the creaminess and flavor. Try buying the large curd low fat (i dont like fat free, it tastes too much like chemical) Pour 1/3 cup on a coffee filter, then rinse the sour cream off until only the curds are left then put it in a bowl/tupperware then add another 1/3 cup straight from the container, mix it and spread it on a toasted wheat bread. It only takes me about 2-3 minutes to prepare! and as far as other cheeses, well, i believe this is the only healthy cheese! check the nut. facts, youll be surprised how much protein it has per serving.

Remember, you know what's in the past and not in the future, so compensate 300 calories for the night snack attack on cottage cheese!

Cottage cheese is not mixed with sour cream. No need to drain it or rinse it unless this is how you like to eat it. Some people like it straight, like me. Others like it topped with fruit. Some like it on toast.

It is also not the only healthy cheese, although it is a very healthy snack choice. Any cheese is healthy in moderation.
  • paulina_sperber
    Options
    Thank you for the lovley and super useful replies!