Steroid injections and weight gain

Options
Hi all. Not sure which is the most suitable topic to post this is.. So here goes. I have been told I probably have a herniated disc and the next step would be epidural steroid injections. I was all for this until I found a possible side effect is considerable weight gain. Has anyone had any experience of this? Lots of forums online saying yes but medical literature stating no....

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    With a steroid injection? Typically even a 7 day course of oral wouldn't give you weight gain. Usually the weight gain from steroids is from long term use.
    Be leery of any online forum. Trust medical literature at least over a online forum of individuals giving their individual opinion.
  • robertfhub
    robertfhub Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Corticosteroid or Anabolic? If you watch your diet it can be very manageable
  • robertfhub
    robertfhub Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    robertfhub wrote: »
    Corticosteroid or Anabolic? If you watch your diet it can be very manageable

• drspoon2013
    drspoon2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A one off corticosteroid injection.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Corticosteroid may cause weight gain, but it's usually not from injection. Oral prednisone can cause weight gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Having had both many many times, the only one I find to cause weight gain is the oral.. (yes yes I know someone is going to come along and say it doesn't CAUSE weight gain, CICO does.... ) The injections do little else to me, except give me pain relief and energy...
  • drspoon2013
    drspoon2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how long the pain relief lasted? I'm weighing up whether it is worth it as paying privately for it and have been told success not 100%