Christmas break with kids.....activity ideas????

Options
Before we know it it will be Christmas, for those of you that have kids you may be in a similar situation as me....what to do with the kids while they are home between Christmas and NEw Years???

I would really like to incorporate some fun CALORIE BURNING activities.

My ideas so far:
Roller Skating..bringing my youngest two and two of their friends...all new to rollerskating.,..should be fun.

IF we have snow...snow shoes are waiting....for another first for my kids.

My gym has a pool, so I am sure we will go swimming at least once during break too...

I joined a bowling league with my hubby that starts in January....so guessing we will go bowling at least once during that week also..to try to get used to bowling so we don't make fools of ourselves the first week....lol.

What fun things will you try to do to get moving with your kids?

Getting moving doesn't have to be on a treadmill..I am hoping to incorporate lots more fun things with the kids!

Replies

• pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    my daughter is 5, and so it limits some things but she enjoys being on her bicycle while I jog along beside her. She particularly loves it when we do sprints and race each other, mostly because she wins!! we will also go bowling, and take her to a large soft play area with a friend. she also loves a 'star walk' where we get dressed up in very warm clothes and take a night time stroll to look at stars. I don't have to worry about keeping her active though - she tends to spend every available minute practising cartwheels, rolls etc :-)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If it ever finally snows (second week of December in Ohio and still no snow) I would like to go sledding over the break.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, at home in Sonoma county I'll walk while my girls trail run. Husbands office party will be bowling. Up at our rental cabin in Oregon our snow base is thin, so no snow shoes or xcountry skis yet for us either... but I'm hoping by the end of the month! I'll miss a lot of my y classes for sure so I'll try to do a darebee workout for each class I miss.
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For us (kids aged 9 and 6) it will most likely be roller skating and laser tag. Their cousins are close by so turning them loose in my sister's large basement is also a viable option for us :smiley: We generally have dance parties, either using the Just Dance for the Wii or through my playlist. Don't usually get snow in Maryland until January so I'll probably also take them to the Science Center or Port Discovery as well to burn off excess energy.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest the Just Dance games. My dd likes them.
    You could set up wacky obstacle courses or do scavenger hunts or races.
    If there is snow- snow ball fights, build an igloo, build snow people/creatures, shoveling snow, sledding.
    Go for a walk to look at holiday decorations.
    When my dd was younger we had a house with a large basement and she would ride her little bike or roller skate down there.

Ask your kids to brainstorm activity ideas as well.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If we get antsy, we'll probably do a dance party. My husband might take them sledding. (I hate being cold.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    skiing
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My kids are 2 and 4 so it's a little limiting as they aren't super coordinated yet, but we have a cool trampoline park by our house that is fun. There is a very inexpensive place with giant inflatables. (what? my kids like to bounce?) Other than that we ride our bikes and play at the playground. Even though I'm in the northeast it's been like 60 degrees here. Unless we get a big cool down before Christmas there will definitely not be snow. This weekend average temps will be near 70. they should be near 40. My roses are blooming. Very scary.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hoping for some more snow before break, if we get snow I plan on some crosscountry skiiing and snowshoeing. If it doesnt snow we will probably do some bike riding and just general playing outside, soccer/football, hiking
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Multigenerational dance parties rule. In the kitchen. Wearing jammies. Loaded with the psychological & emotional equivalent of anti-oxidants!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Do you have one of those trampoline places?
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We do have a bounce house place here...I may consider adding that in. Just seems the kids always end up sick after a visit to those places in winter....lol
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you have an ice rink, take them ice-skating. That is pretty fun...and if they enjoy it, you could always play hockey. OR, if you have chalk...then play some chalk games outside (hopscotch, 'cross the river,' etc.). Step, run and jump, or tackle specific crunchy leaves (my girl, 8.5, LOVES that one :smile: )
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    -Simple fox and goose game in the snow. Especially fun as the dog "protects" the kids so if it looks like I am chasing them I get tackled.

-tobogganing, snowshoeing, cross country and downhill skiing.

-ski dooing, very active when you get stuck and have to dig.

-they want to pile a huge mound of snow with the tractor to dig tunnels through this year.

Of course all these are dependant on snow. We don't have any yet and usually there is at least 12" by now. So we are kinda sad. Even the hill can't make snow because it is not cold enough. So I guess until then we continue our hikes, runs, and of course hauling bales for chores.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    iamkarent wrote: »
    We do have a bounce house place here...I may consider adding that in. Just seems the kids always end up sick after a visit to those places in winter....lol

I've noticed that, too! Those indoor playgrounds are a recipe for illness for us.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    We ice skate/play hockey all winter (honestly...we've been going since labor day), but the kids still love to get outside and skate just as much. We either go on our rink in the back yard, or go down to the outdoor rink.

The indoor rink also runs a lot of open skate times during the day over break as well.