i need to get active.

Options
hi im amanda and i need to be more active...i am not over weight yet but i know im not that healthy.. i want to be able to run a mile or walk for 20min without losing my breath or cramping up

Replies

• LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hi & welcome. Just find something active that you enjoy doing to get started! Good luck!
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    the couch to 5k program is GREAT for beginner runners. My dad is about 290 pounds (down from 365) and using the couch-to-5k program he's now able to jog a whole 5K (5 kilometers is 3.1 miles). It's a 9-week program that slowly builds up your lung strenght, body strength, and endurance so you can run a whole 5K.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Start slow... Run for 2 minutes then walk for 2 minutes then repeat until you are done exercising for the day. Each day after that, bump it up by 1 minute or 2 until you can do it with out giving out. It works for me.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    the couch to 5k program is GREAT for beginner runners. My dad is about 290 pounds (down from 365) and using the couch-to-5k program he's now able to jog a whole 5K (5 kilometers is 3.1 miles). It's a 9-week program that slowly builds up your lung strenght, body strength, and endurance so you can run a whole 5K.

Is there a link?
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i love wii fit plus with the balance board the games etc are so fun and theres jogging and step as well i can easily spend and hr or more a day just playing, jogging, step etc its fun so i dont feel like its exercise and depending on what you choose on it the calorie burn can be great

choose and activity you like or you wont stick at it
  • rcarri7661
    rcarri7661 Posts: 10
    Options
    Everyone is Different. What I did I want to run more long Distance. I set a Goal to do a 12 K run in San Fransisco. So I looked up ways to train. I also started a Coed Softball Team I was suprise on how many people want to play but can't find a team. And I also Play Indoor soccer. Now that is a workout of its own. Check on your community there has to be softball leagues soccer leagues and Let me know about running I can send you a link to the training for Merathons or just training your self to run long distance
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, find something you like and start doing it!

Sounds like walking/running is your thing...start slow with short walks, even it's just for 5-10 minutes and as you get stronger, walk a little farther and/or faster and/or find hills to walk up. Then you can look into doing a running program like Couch to 5K that takes you from walking to running in a fairly short period of time. Make sure you stretch afterwards while your muscles are warm and pliable, make sure you're getting some protein in your diet and eat bananas (or get potassium from another source - helps with cramps).