Where my runners at?

Options
Libertysfate
Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Short or long distance. Whatcha guys up to? Training for anything?
How do you train? How are y'all eating to keep up with your body?
Tips on how to deal with aches (calves and ankles)?

I'm up to 11 miles and have my first half this weekend. My best pace for 11 miles is 8:19
My best pace overall for shorter distances is around 7:30, I believe. I got a few miles down to under 7 minutes but I think that's because I was going down a very steep hill.

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    See my post to the guy that wants to run a 6 min mile pace. My reply applies to you as well regarding training.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10295495/run-a-6-min-mile

Eating. Most important thing is your recovery meal. 3-4 grams of carbs to every 1 gram of protein. You will want at most 10-20 grams of protein (depending on intensity of your run or if there is an incline or strength training involved) and 30-80 grams of carbs (depending on how long your workout was). You eat or drink this recovery meal within 30 minutes of your run to ensure you start the recovery process immediately to get the maximum benefit of the recovery meal. The rest of the day you want to eat enough carbs, proteins, and healthy fats.

As far as aches...

My go to Yin Yoga workout for releaving aches in the shins, ankles, and calves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3haRNn-5I

For hamstrings and hips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmzfot_6HcE

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Good luck this weekend! I'm inbetween training for half marathons (ran one 11/28 and will run another in may but havent started a formal training plan for that one yet).

I like the second yoga video posted above! Its a great stretch and one of my favorites.

I don't eat any specific way when training....just keep to my calorie goals on here (still in a deficit trying to lose another 20#). I do always try to have a protein shake and piece of fruit after any long runs though.
  • IvyRose8
    IvyRose8 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your first Half!! I ran two of them in October and plan on doing a Full next October. This is "down" season, so I'm doing more cross training stuff during the winter and only a few runs per week. The best part about running long distances is the need to eat more carbs. Yay!

You've already done the training... now go enjoy that 13.1 mile victory lap!
  • MrWilson6
    MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    We're in a group called "Rascally Runners" too. Come join us if you like. All experience levels are welcome.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Short or long distance. Whatcha guys up to? Training for anything?
    How do you train? How are y'all eating to keep up with your body?
    Tips on how to deal with aches (calves and ankles)?

I'm up to 11 miles and have my first half this weekend. My best pace for 11 miles is 8:19
    My best pace overall for shorter distances is around 7:30, I believe. I got a few miles down to under 7 minutes but I think that's because I was going down a very steep hill.

Hey now! That's super fast! Looks like you're already getting good advice so I just wanted to say keep it up and well done. :-)

#YNBQ
  • Libertysfate
    Options
    Aww thanks everyone. :) I was told runners are a friendly bunch. And Andy, I shall see ya, there.

IvyRose - I know! That's the best part. I burn so much I can barely eat to keep up but really I just see it as more reason to eat cake. lol Not that I need a reason. I love carbs.
  • c1ownfishie
    c1ownfishie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a full marathon in February. Running 4x per week and trying to get in some cross training as well. I'm definitely no where near as fast as you are. I usually hold 11-12 min miles on any run over 5 miles. But I've always been a slow runner and I'm totally ok with that! :smile:

Focusing on eating lean proteins and high fiber carbs, but I love my sweets too! It can be pretty tough to get in enough calories after a long run.
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been running since 2008 when i first started loosing weight and exercising. My running peaked back in, 2010 and 2011 where i ran a couple of marathons and my best ever half (1h36min). After that I slacked off and gained some weight back. Currently getting rid of it again. Training for a full in the spring.
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your half. :) Enjoy it!
    I only started running this year, so I've only managed a 10k so far. I'm still only an 8 mile minute girl, but I seem to be getting faster without trying??
    There's a half marathon coming up in the spring near where I live that I'd love to train for, but I've been sidelined recently due to a mild case of extensor tendonitis which I don't want to aggravate. :/
    I've started using the Nike training club app recently to do strength exercises to keep those various running injuries at bay... we'll see if it works once my tendon is all fixed up.
  • laurainottawa
    laurainottawa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a 6k in going to run in June, I did it this year, it took me 1 hour 45 minutes (there's also 19 obstacles along the way) I've lost 30 lbs since then, and I'm still going, I want to finish much faster next year!

A friend just got me to agree to a half marathon September 2016, a bit crazy, but I figured I've got 8 months to train for it.

I ran (with a few walk breaks) 5km today in 45 minutes. Working on getting that to steady running.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Focusing on eating lean proteins and high fiber carbs, but I love my sweets too! It can be pretty tough to get in enough calories after a long run.

fun-day.JPG

It's never tough to get enough if you are focused, and eat that pizza!
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That pace is amazing!! I'm significantly slower, so I'm always in awe of people who run under 9 min/mile consistently. Wishing you continued success!

I'm also in between halfs . . . ran one in October and my next is in May. I've got a few races, varying from 3-miles to 10K over the next few months (I don't train, per se, for these). In January, I'll start my half training again (I loosely follow Hal Higdon's plan). I'm planning on at least 3 halfs in 2016. By next summer, I'll start training for a full that I hope to do in January 2017.

Especially for longer runs, quality stretching, at least 15 minutes worth, both before and after my run helps me a ton, both during the run and recovery. I also wear calf compression sleeves for 10K or longer. If I'm finding I'm having pain, it's usually related to needing new shoes. I generally replace my running sneakers every 4-5 months.
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    rrcoffey wrote: »
    If I'm finding I'm having pain, it's usually related to needing new shoes. I generally replace my running sneakers every 4-5 months.

Oh man, I literally just bought new shoes today. When the sales lady and I looked at the soles of my old shoes, they were completely wrecked.
    Went for a run in my new shoes just now with hardly a twang from my foot. Wish I'd learned that lesson sooner!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm in my "off season", so I'm not specifically training for anything.

As I get older, I'm trying to pay more attention to, and be more proactive with, my little aches and pains. I give myself an extra day of rest (depending on what's aching and what's paining), and try to be better about my mobility work.

As for eating... I eat what I like. I try to keep my cals in line with my weight loss/gain goals, but that's about as specific as I get.
  • Libertysfate
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Good luck this weekend!
    Caitoriri wrote: »
    Good luck on your half. :)

Thank you! :)
    rrcoffey wrote: »
    That pace is amazing!! I'm significantly slower, so I'm always in awe of people who run under 9 min/mile consistently. Wishing you continued success!

I'm also in between halfs . . . ran one in October and my next is in May. I've got a few races, varying from 3-miles to 10K over the next few months (I don't train, per se, for these). In January, I'll start my half training again (I loosely follow Hal Higdon's plan). I'm planning on at least 3 halfs in 2016. By next summer, I'll start training for a full that I hope to do in January 2017.

Especially for longer runs, quality stretching, at least 15 minutes worth, both before and after my run helps me a ton, both during the run and recovery. I also wear calf compression sleeves for 10K or longer. If I'm finding I'm having pain, it's usually related to needing new shoes. I generally replace my running sneakers every 4-5 months.

I have the issue with my ankles regardless of shoes. :/ I thought my shoes were the issue, too, but I have about 4 pairs of fairly new running shoes I alternate among depending on the terrain I'm running on (and yes, sometimes to coordinate with my running clothes lol). It's more so after running in hilly areas, which in my area is pretty much everywhere.