Strange side effect of lots of walking

Options
I've been going a little nuts with walking over the past six weeks, usually logging 3 miles per day, and sometimes as much as 6 if I have time. I started at 170, weigh 160 now, and am aiming for 140 as a goal, so I haven't got too far to go. Yesterday I realized that the nylon knee socks I always wear are now super-tight at the tops. Last night after I took them off there was still a mark around my leg three hours later. Today, luckily I'm wearing pants because I actually had to pull the socks down to my ankles because they were cutting into my legs. These are the same socks I wore when I was ten pounds heavier! I hope I don't end up with ridiculously muscular calves!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    pretty sure you're going to be fine...
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My first thought is edema. Weight loss would make your lower legs smaller and gaining noticeable muscle in the lower leg takes a LONG time.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    At first I thought it might be water retention, but since I've been eating so much better than my usual high-sodium "frat-boy" diet I discounted that idea. Maybe I should look into it further.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    At first I thought it might be water retention, but since I've been eating so much better than my usual high-sodium "frat-boy" diet I discounted that idea. Maybe I should look into it further.

regular exercise causes some water retention...it's not just about sodium or not sodium.

building muscle takes a very long time and honestly you're not going to build much muscle walking, even if you weren't dieting...if you're dieting, you're not putting on muscle mass as you cannot be both catabolic and anabolic at the same time.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Water retention I think. That, or you shrunk your socks.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    13bbird13 wrote: »

regular exercise causes some water retention...it's not just about sodium or not sodium.

building muscle takes a very long time and honestly you're not going to build much muscle walking, even if you weren't dieting...if you're dieting, you're not putting on muscle mass as you cannot be both catabolic and anabolic at the same time.

^This
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're walking 3 miles, occasionally 6?

Don't panic, you certainly aren't building muscle

Maybe some water retention from suddenly getting more active

Well done you ..it's great to walk
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the replies; I had no idea exercise would cause some water retention (but then again, I'm a very sedentary person unless I make a specific effort). I will also keep an eye on my sodium because that, rather than sweets, is my usual downfall. And I'll definitely keep walking... that and swimming twice a week are my two non-negotiable targets for December!
  • lucy16076
    lucy16076 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Keep up the good work!! You are just fine :)