Running and calories

Options
yoplait311
yoplait311 Posts: 56 Member
edited December 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi running friends...
I've been wondering if I'm eating the proper amount of calories considering my training routine (swim/run/lifting). I am stuck in this awful place were I feel guilty if I eat more than say, 1600 calories, despite a 10 mile run. That said, my weight loss is slow, and my running is going fairly well. My diary is open and I'll take any feedback or advice. If I'm being mental - let me know :smile:

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    There's always a possibility that if you eat more you could lose more weight. I was doing a lot of cardio and was low on calories for a while and weight loss was slow if not stagnant. I decided to try and gain weight and purposely increased calories and cut back on cardio, and I ended up losing more weight
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary records you seem like you pay attention to detail, but if you are running 10 miles and not losing, you are eating more than you think. Now granted I'm probably heavier and male, but after a 10 mile run I can eat 3000+ calories and still lose weight for the week. So I guess my question is this. You say your weight loss is slow. How slow?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    That's way too low. I'm 122 lbs and at 1600 calories, I'd melt. It's hard enough to stay at my current weight with my regular program (swim, bike, run, weights).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't have a lot of weight to lose. That would explain why your loss is slow.

Some questions.

What are your stats and what are you using to calculate your exercise burns?
  • lucy16076
    lucy16076 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Maybe because running is more a cardio workout than a fat burning workout?? I could be way off, but from what I've read, it's low intensity that burns calories & high intensity (running) that is more for heart health....correct me if I'm wrong. I could stand to learn as well :)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    lucy16076 wrote: »
    Maybe because running is more a cardio workout than a fat burning workout?? I could be way off, but from what I've read, it's low intensity that burns calories & high intensity (running) that is more for heart health....correct me if I'm wrong. I could stand to learn as well :)

Nope. Running burns a lot of calories. More so than most other forms of exercise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lucy16076 wrote: »

You are thinking of fat burning zone (which running can be in). It's not accurate that you don't burn calories when exercising more intensely -- in fact, you burn more calories (even if you are burning glycogen stores in the moment), which translates to a larger deficit in the day (if you hold eating constant) and a larger net loss of fat.
  • yoplait311
    yoplait311 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    As for how I calculate my burn- I use a Garmin 920xt and a HR Monitor. I find the calories expended to be very reasonable. For example, my 8 mile run today burned 790 calories bc it was an easy intensity.

I lose about .5 lbs a week but I feel like I should be losing faster considering the deficits. I do try to track as accurately as possible and pay attention to what I eat. I love to cook and rarely eat out.

I've struggled with eating very low calories in the past so I want to make sure I'm smart this time around.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reduce cardio, and increase pumping iron.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body.....I just completed a half and throughout my training I ate are a large deficit....without it impacting my training or recovery. I averaged 1800cals a day (I'm 5'5" & 175#). My friend who trained with me is approximately the same size and was ravenously hungry at any less than 2500 call a day.