Laser hair removal

Options
Shweedog
Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
I reached my goal a while back and am now bikini ready. Well, kind of. Anyone out there ever had laser hair removal? I shave everyday and absolutely hate it!

Replies

• andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenjenlv
    jenjenlv Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm going through it right now and it's awesome! Doing my facial hair and it's helped my skin and my time and my confidence
  • AmberM6912
    AmberM6912 Posts: 79
    Options
    I have had it done on my underarms and my bikini area. I have light hair and I will say that it has not worked as well on me as it has a friend of mine who has really dark hair. It has definitely made a difference I just think it will take more sessions for me than it would someone with darker hair. I HIGHLY recommend it. It can be a little uncomfortable but it definitely isn't unbearable. I think it would be a good reward for your hard work paying off!
  • pcronberg
    pcronberg Posts: 224
    Options
    I have had laser hair removal on my armpits... It was a reward from my husband for reaching 25lbs lost! What do you want to know about it??
    I reached my goal a while back and am now bikini ready. Well, kind of. Anyone out there ever had laser hair removal? I shave everyday and absolutely hate it!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    DOES IT HURT?! and how long do you stay red afterward?
  • guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a home kit , it works but its quite slow almost done my underarms , bikini line next ouch!
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    no way you shave every day?! I couldnt do that!! Although Ireland is pretty cold and rains all year, so no big deal!! Im getting IPL at the moment which is similar to Laser. Im doing underarm and brazilian, happy so far!! But you cant go in the sun while youre getting treatments, so if you are getting it and plan on going on hols you cant expose that skin to sunlight etc.
  • mrslisamprice
    Options
    I've had it done and absolutely loved the results. You have to undergo several rounds of treatments, but after you stop the treatments and it's important to remember that laser hair removal is NOT permanent. You will have to do follow-up treatments annually to maintain your results. Depending on your skin tone and color of your hair, you may not even be a candidate for the treatments.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shweedog
    Options
    I have had laser hair removal on my armpits... It was a reward from my husband for reaching 25lbs lost! What do you want to know about it??

Does it hurt? Does it work well? I am fair skinned with thick dark hair. I am told I am the perfect candidate! Basically, is it worth the expense?
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had it done to my underarms. It was painful for me, because I wasn't able to use the lidocaine. However, the session goes by pretty quick and I really like the results.
  • Shweedog
    Options
    I have a home kit , it works but its quite slow almost done my underarms , bikini line next ouch!

You can do laser hair removal at home? Yourself???
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

Its not FUN but it is more hot than anything else it certainly isn't unbearable. I don't stay red for too long after... as a matter of fact I havent told anyone that I am having it done (and its not like I can hide it...) and I go shopping right after.

It seems to get easier each time too. I just had my second one and it was not as bad as the first. Hope that helps
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    For me, it didn't work. I did the bikini and I did the 6 or so treatments. I thought it was very painful, like being snapped with a very small, very hot rubber band for each hair follicle. I am fair skinned, I didn't think the hair was fair, it wasn't blonde but not black, either, I guess and now when I get waxed I tell them I did laser hair removal and they say, you have to keep doing it. Well, it is expensive and I might as well do a bikini wax if nothing is permanent.
    I also had redness and small scabs (I know, real attractive) but for awhile, it was like a brazilian, smooth for a couple of weeks, then another treatment, and so on, but after the last treatment results did not last and I have been waxing for swimsuit season and vacations.
    My vote: Not worth it!
  • AmberM6912
    Options

It doesn't hurt, but it can be uncomfortable. My doctor prescribed a numbing cream that was applied about 20-30 minutes before my session. That definitely made a difference and i couldn't really tell anything was going on. Depending on the settings your doctor or technician has the laser set on, you may or may not be red. I've had sessions where I've had little red circles from where the laser hits that look similar to a sun burn. They were gone after a day or two.

Hope this helps!
  • AmberM6912
    Options
    Does it hurt? Does it work well? I am fair skinned with thick dark hair. I am told I am the perfect candidate! Basically, is it worth the expense?
    [/quote]

I TOTALLY would do it. The sessions are quick, so if it is a little uncomfortable for you, it doesn't last long. The darker your hair, the better.
  • christinabgsu
    Options
    I did a small area when a friend got the system in her office and needed a guinea pig...I had decent results, definitely a reduction. And that's the term they will force upon you...laser hair "reduction" not "removal". It wasn't bad, they ice it before and after, redness for me was more because of the icing and went away quite quickly, like completely gone within two hours. I will get my armpits done as a reward for weight loss, even if it does leave a few stragglers! I have very dark hair and pale skin--the perfect combo for the treatment, and have a few hairs left to pluck. The laser will only get hairs that are actively growing, so it is hard to get them all, and that is why you do at least four treatments four weeks apart from each other--to catch as many growth cycles as possible.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    How much does it cost??
  • AmberM6912
    Options
    How much does it cost??

It really depends on your location. I got my sessions through Groupon and Living Social. Half Off Depot also offers them sometimes. They have them pretty frequently, so if you're patient you can often get 3-5 sessions for about $100. This is usually small areas (underarms, bikini line, upper lip) but some places also let you pay to upgrade to larger areas if you like. That's how i've done mine!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I had it done on my face and neck. It truly changed the way I feel about myself. I was so self conscious, but not anymore. My only regret is that I did not do it earlier. SO worth the money and the slight discomfort. Do it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!