Should you eat all of your calories each to lose you can you leave some

Options
I met with a fitness trainer and he told me I need to eat all of my calories everyday or I won't lose weight. Is this true or should I have calories left at the end of the day?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No, this isn't true at all.

However, if your goal is set to put you at a reasonable calorie deficit, there's no good reason to eat less and many good reasons not to eat MUCH less. Bigger deficits aren't better -- we need to eat enough to ensure that we maintain our health and energy.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You will still lose weight, but the question is would you be eating enough to fuel the workouts and get enough nutrition for your body to keep healthy. (which is exactly what Jane said)
  • legsbumsandtums
    legsbumsandtums Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Never go below 1200 cal for a women ! Even if you want to lose weight, you need to consume these and then exercise - msg me any time for more information
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I met with a fitness trainer and he told me I need to eat all of my calories everyday or I won't lose weight. Is this true or should I have calories left at the end of the day?

Your calorie target on MFP is not maintenance...that's why you put in your stats and goals so that MFP can calculate your calorie target which includes your deficit to lose weight...that's why it says Goal.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I honestly DO see my weight loss slow when I under eat. I know it sounds crazy and there's no science I can site but my body really does lose more efficiently at ~1500 calories in versus 1200. So it's about what works for you. If you're not hungry for the whole goal, try less. If you're extra hungry try more. See what your body does and watch for a pattern to learn more. It's all veeery individual.
  • beckykvreeland166
    Options
    Thanks for your sharing