Best HRM...?

I feel comfortable with the estimates of my jogging calories burned (I have an iphone app that usually agrees with a calorie burn website). However, I feel MUCH less confident estimating calories burned while doing fitness videos. For that I guess I need a heart rate monitor.

Do any of you have a heart rate monitor that you love that costs less than $100?

Replies

• Waynes_World
    Waynes_World Posts: 333
    I would go with a polar HRM if you can find one !! Love mine
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    I just ordered a Polar Ft4 on Amazon for 60 bucks or so. I've heard good things about them. Wish I could tell you my experience, but it'll be here in 2 days. :-)
  • alisont91
    alisont91 Posts: 54
    I'm not sure if it's just in my area, but heart rate monitors are on sale this week at Target. It's worth checking out, at least, if you are near one. I'm going to pick up a Polar brand one today! Not sure which model, since my dad is buying it for me.
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Hi,

I have posted this message in the past, but I am a big fan of Polar (one of their Ambassadors) and they have a wonderful line of HRM's. I have been using their products for about a year and a half.

I started with (and most recommend) the FT7 - about $90 to $105, but after 8 months, I graduated to the FT80, which gave me GPS, Fitness Tests (VO2max), a visual display of my HR, Strength Training detail (add you entire lifting routine into the watch) and a great online community that supports me through challenges (uploading through a Flow Link accessory). I use it for the elliptical, tennis and weight lifting.

Online the FT80 lists at $349. I have seen it as low as $250 (with a Flow Link) at heartratemonitorusa.com.

See the results:

http://www.polar.fi/en/polar_community/polar_people/Andrew

Polar also has a really great line of basic HR monitors. The FT4 (about $70 online) will count your calories and store the info. When you step up to the FT 7, FT40 FT60 & FT80 they can all upload results to polarpersonaltrainer.com...each adds a feature up the line and you should select a monitor that matches your lifestyle/budget.

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/
  • dietnfit
    dietnfit Posts: 9 Member
    I use the Timex Zone trainer...it retails about 99..but you can find them on ebay or amazon cheaper. I think mine was about 60.
    It has a stopwatch, chrono timer, laps, etc. Tracks calories, average/peak heart rate..

My husband uses the Timex Personal trainer...doesn't have the stopwatch option, but will calculate calories during the duration of your activity, average/and peak heart rate. That one retails for about 89..but have seen them on ebay and amazon as cheap as 38-40.
  • Thanks, y'all! That was super quick and VERY helpful. :happy:
  • lam072
    lam072 Posts: 13 Member
    I love my Poar FT40. I can upload all my results online and enter challenges to keep me motivated. It's easy to use and numbers are big and easy to read.