Calorie Goals

I just signed up and have a question about the calorie goals that MFP set for me. I'm a 260lb guy, I selected sedentary (I'll add exercise later), and hoping to lose 2lbs/wk. MFP set my calories to 1560. That seems too low for a 260lb guy, doesn't it? I was thinking it should be more like 1800-2000? Thoughts/Opinions?

Thanks.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    It would be more helpful if you gave us not just your weight and sex, but you height and age.
  • CabinFeverNY
    CabinFeverNY Posts: 3 Member
    5'9" and 48 years old.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    It would be more helpful if you gave us not just your weight and sex, but you height and age.

This and keep in mind MFP is a NEAT calculator. It expects you to log exercise and eat those calories back. So if you do any activity, you will likely be closer to 1800-2000.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    edited December 2015
    Based on that, the number sounds reasonable when taking into account a 1000 calorie a day deficit for 2 pounds per week goal.

EDIT:

I entered your numbers in another calculator and it gave 2682 calories to maintain your weight. Take of the 1000 and you get to pretty much the same number 1682. That is using a slightly different formula and would allow a little over 100 calories more. So as I said, the number from Myfitnesspal is right in the range.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Also keep in mind that for the MFP calculations, "sedentary" means basically only the minimal activity associated with personal hygiene and grooming, non-labor-intensive meal prep, and a desk job that you get to with minimal exertion.

If you try 1560 and you don't like it, you could add another 250 or 500 calories to cut your weekly loss to 1.5 or 1 lb, respectively. Pick a number, stick with it for several weeks, and reassess: How fast are you losing (bearing in mind that the first week or two might reflect water-weight loss as well as body mass loss)? Is it as fast as you want? Is it too fast? Do you want to lose more slowly in exchange for more food every day? Do you want to lose more quickly in exchange for less food (or more exercise)? What is your energy level like? Are you too tired to exercise? Is your hunger interfering with concentration or sleep?