Low Calorie Oatmeal recipes?

Options
LUHAN27
LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
I making oatmeal, but I don't want to just add a bit of milk to it? Or eat it plan with minimal sugar? Any ideas to spice up my oatmeal? Low-calorie please.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of zoats? You can bulk up oatmeal with grated zucchini, barely adds any calories and you can't taste it. I add protein powder and whatever toppings...sometimes a crushed up oreo. I've made a cherry pie one with low fat reddiwhip, a 90 calorie brownie, and lite cherry pie filling. Google.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    pb2 and cinnamon. My favorite is overnight oats: 1/3 cup each unsweetened almond milk, plain greek yogurt, and oats. add a drop or two of your favorite extract. Make up to 4 days in advance, refrigerate and enjoy...cold or hot!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    cinnamon, baking cocoa, extracts, fruit
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Second the zoats. Small amount of oats and lots of grated zucchini plus I mix through frozen mixed berries, which are also low calorie for a decent quantity. Some cinnamon to taste and top it with 0% fat greek yogurt and chocolate or vanilla protein powder.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    Second the zoats. Small amount of oats and lots of grated zucchini plus I mix through frozen mixed berries, which are also low calorie for a decent quantity. Some cinnamon to taste and top it with 0% fat greek yogurt and chocolate or vanilla protein powder.

Yeah! I've gone as low as 30g of oats with 300g of zucchini. So good. They're fun too because you can be creative.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thank you for the quick replies everyone! Since I already ate, I'll try these recipes next time! :) also, feel free to add any more recipes. I love new ideas.
  • leahannhorton
    leahannhorton Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like to make savory oatmeal :) So instead of using milk or water to boil the oats, I use chicken or veggie stock then add things like peas, feta, asparagus, etc.... Turns out like risotto with a LOT less work :)
  • Regallily
    Regallily Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow...these are all very interesting. How do you know how much zucchini to add? I eat oatmeal almost everyday...one serving of oatmeal, 3 tsps unpacked brown sugar, 1/4 cup raisins (or craisins), and 1 tbsp of some kind of nut (crushed pecans, crushed walnuts, sliced almonds). I tend to eat breakfast mid-late morning so it really becomes kind of a brunch for me. I saw an idea above to make overnight oatmeal...you can also add some whole grain type cereal to that...I've got a great recipe for that and typically use Grape Nuts.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Regallily wrote: »
    Wow...these are all very interesting. How do you know how much zucchini to add? I eat oatmeal almost everyday...one serving of oatmeal, 3 tsps unpacked brown sugar, 1/4 cup raisins (or craisins), and 1 tbsp of some kind of nut (crushed pecans, crushed walnuts, sliced almonds). I tend to eat breakfast mid-late morning so it really becomes kind of a brunch for me. I saw an idea above to make overnight oatmeal...you can also add some whole grain type cereal to that...I've got a great recipe for that and typically use Grape Nuts.

I only add around 100 grams of zucchini as I tend to add more water.
    Whilst it seems Arditarose adds more zuchinni and less water.
    I guess you can experiment around but since it doesn't really add taste (only bulk) I doubt you can add too much of it.
  • threepeasinmn
    threepeasinmn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat my oatmeal concoction almost every morning. I combine one third cup old fashioned oats, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 2/3 cup of frozen berries, 2/3 cup of water, dash of salt, stevia powder or stevia liquid in a glass bowl. Heat in microwave for 2 minutes. At that point I usually put the lid on drive my half hour to work eat at my desk. I think it is tasty and filling. Mixed berries with cherries in it is my favorite I also like frozen peaches in my oatmeal.
  • pichu318
    pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Cinnamon tastes amazing X3

Any type of jam and milk tastes good too.

I often make my own cereal of oats, quinoa, cinnamon (sugar), chocolate whey protein, chocolate chips, macadamia nuts, seeds, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, and coconut. Tastes good heated with hot water or hot milk. It also tastes great dry or with cold milk.
  • melachey
    melachey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use water instead of milk plus PB2 and wheat germ.