Back at it again

Options
Thanks for letting me into your community, I'm hoping to draw and give support. Weight loss is an ongoing battle for me since 2012 when I realized I was up to almost 500lbs. I walked and walked and walked, dropped regular soda, changed up my eating habits and I made it down to 420lbs. But I got stuck. So I started lifting weights and switched to a ketogenic lifestyle. The weight flew off, before I knew it I was down to 363! I felt better than I had in years, I was stronger than I'd ever been before (even started competing in Highland Games), and most importantly I was back to doing things with my family. And then, the holidays hit. I fell into the "you deserve a treat" trap and got completely derailed. Soon I was back up to 400. So I started back to the gym in 2014 and started back to keto. The weight came off and life was grand. Then the holidays hit again and I caved again (I mean really there is only so many times you can turn down pecan pie).

Start of this year (2015) I was back up to 420 and feeling like poop. I thought surely a Highland Games was all I needed to get motivated again. But spinning for the open stone (shot put) I landed on my knee wrong and that was the end of it. I kind of sank into a depression. I wasn't in the gym, I wasn't eating right, I was miserable.

Finally I decided enough was enough. This Thanksgiving, I ate a moderate plate of food and one small dessert. One meal only to prove to myself I could do it. After that I was amazed at how easy it was to turn down things I would normally turn to, like pizza (a whole large pie to myself) and ice cream. I still had some things but in moderation instead of indulgence.

Finally I got back under 400lbs two weeks ago. I decided I was going to do keto again since I react really well to it. Big difference this time, my family is attempting it with me so I'm not alone in this fight. My mom is even going to tailor the Christmas feast around my dietary needs. First week back on I was down almost 8lbs but more importantly I don't feel bloated, I don't feel lethargic all the time, I'm not getting tension headaches.

We'll see if I can hit my goal 280-300 by this time next year (and 10 solid pull ups).

Replies

• ciindii
    ciindii Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just wanna thank you for opening up and sharing your story. I'm here to be a friend if you need me.
  • PeteLincoln291069
    PeteLincoln291069 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As above, thanks for sharing. If you need a buddy on here, just add me