Question's about Workout Routines.

Options
I’ve been going to the gym for a bit now and am trying to get more into it.
I have been trying out some of the machines and have successful done 2 sets of 12 reps each on the following machines @ 15lbs (to start)

Leg Press
Hip Adduction/Abduction
Bicep Curl
Shoulder Press
Abdominal

I have also been doing Cardio.
The Treadmill as well as the Recumbent Bike both of which I have gradually been increasing the speed and length that I am doing it.

I have read many places that you should alternate leg day & arm day to give your body time to heal.
(The gym I go to is a basic gym with some equipment but a lot of cardio machines)

My questions to you fellow fitness fans is
1. Are there other machines I should try (& yes I have heard the Hip abduction machine isn’t very good)
2. Should I put the Abdominal Machine under Leg Day or Arm day? (By the looks of it I currently have two on each day)
3. How many Sets should I be trying for and at what interval should I increase the weight’s I am using

My ultimate goal as well as losing weight is to improve my health and increase my stamina.

Thanks in Advance

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I would add as much weight as I could... till you feel the burn in 5 reps then back off a notch and do 8 reps 3 sets.

as a new gym goer I dont think you need to worry about "leg day" arm day just go.. do everything rest repeat
  • heartkermit
    heartkermit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would add as much weight as I could... till you feel the burn in 5 reps then back off a notch and do 8 reps 3 sets.

as a new gym goer I dont think you need to worry about "leg day" arm day just go.. do everything rest repeat

Thanks
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spin bike? Other than treadmill and swimming, I use the spin bike about 2-3 times a week. I've downloaded a few 30-min spin bike routines off Pinterest.

As for abs - I'd incorporate them as part of a either legs or arms day. Abs are a category of their own and have a special place in hell :p

My sets are usually 3 x10reps, with an alternating exercise. I will only increase the weight if I feel the current weight is too easy for me/I need to be more challenged. When that happens, I increase the weight by 1-2 kgs for arms, 2.5-5kg for legs.

I hope this helps!
  • heartkermit
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • Steve_PB
    Steve_PB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can split training days into upper and lower but as said above as a beginer just try to incorporate everything. As you pregress then look as splitting. As for Abs, you can put them anywhere. i usually do them on a cardio day or at the begining of any day thats doesn't include squats or DL.
  • heartkermit
    Options
    Thanks Steve_Pb