Christmas time, don't panic!

Options
124»

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You all think Christmas is bad? My twins (turning ten) have their birthday on the 21st, so birthday dinner, cake, all the hoopla and then of course, Christmas eve and Christmas days, we have special foods and for fun, I have a daughter whose birthday falls on the 27th, so another birthday dinner and more cake.

It's a week of FOOD.

Actually, eating it doesn't freak me out and even if I eat at maintenance, I know to just jump back in after that last birthday dinner but it's exhausting!

In case anyone thinks I'm guilty of poor planning, those three birthdays so close, my twins were actually due on Valentines day but had to be delivered 8 weeks early.

Ha, my boyfriend's birthday is also the 21st :smile:
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I agree that saying it's "one day" of feasting and treats in December is a bit short sighted. I'm not limiting myself to one day of indulgences and special occasions around the holidays. But I will practice some higher/lower calorie days, which is pretty much how my eating in maintenance falls anyway.

If it doesn't even out, there's always January and reducing a few pounds.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Can we at least agree that it is not ONE DAY of overeating? I mean, I've already had two attend two work parties with gobs of food, and have two more scheduled before we finally get a break. Then I have to celebrate several Christmases--with Mom, then with Dad, then with my sister and her husband. And of course there are tons of leftovers. So it's not really ONE DAY of overeating....

As I mentioned earlier ... I'm taking a 2-week diet break starting on a day yet to be selected just before Christmas. so no, it won't be just one day.

However, prior to that (right now), I'm keeping my intake within my allowable calorie limit. Exercising lots helps.

And during that diet break, I won't log and I will eat what I want, but I may not end up going too crazy ... I don't feel like stuffing myself anymore on occasions like this like I used to do + there will be a whole lot of exercise.

But it doesn't matter ... I took a 1-month diet break in June, and did pretty much what I'm planning to do this time. I ate whatever I wanted ... but surprised myself that I just couldn't eat as much as I thought I would. And I exercised a lot. The day after I got home, I weighed myself and I had 2 kg. Shrug shoulders ... about 2 weeks later, it was gone. I've continued with the diet plan and have lost an additional 10 kg.

So I might gain 1 or 2 kg over Christmas, but I don't care. I'll just lose it again in January. :)

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I agree complete - so no bash from me. This is a lifestyle, not a diet. I plan to enjoy those things I love and Christmas foods are right on that list. I'll just sort it out and keep at it
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    For me - Christmas isn't just 'one day' of over-eating. Morelike around 5. Still - no big deal. Back on track once the fun and games are over :)
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to lose what I can in the next two weeks, and then give myself a week off... I know I can lose it again in January. I joined MFP in mid-October with the intention of losing as much as possible in preparation for Christmas!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    So I'm one of the people who is continuing to be very cautious up until Christmas... partly because it ISN'T "just one day" ...I thought it was the norm in this day of diverse families to have a number of Christmas celebrations? In just Dec 24-Dec 28 I have three Christmas celebrations. Going overboard 3 times in a week is setting myself up for a massive backslide. I know I'll be ordering Chinese on New Years Eve (so 4! times in a week) and that will be my big indulgence, but otherwise I plan to stay within my calorie goals or at maintenance, but not over.

Wow, I thought I was the only one. Pretty much half of the days between december 24th and January 15 are filled with lots of food, then 6 birthdays between jan 25th and march 21st. If I let myself loose I'm looking at a potential 10-20 pound gain in a very short period of time. With that said, I always plan my calories to gain 5 pounds during this period. A month of working off a once a year thing is reasonable, but 4 months is not.
  • Twincle1970
    Twincle1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    pfft you got it easy, my LAST week of insanity ends 26th December :smile: I dont imagine me doing cardio workout xmas day, and hardly doing a lot boxing day with a food/alcahol hangover, so thats going to be 28th December finish now with new Max Recovery Christmas non Workout Pliyo Days!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Eat and enjoy yourself, but get off your behind and stay with your exercise routine between get-togethers!
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've lost over 100 pounds this year having regular pig out "cheat" days once a week. It's only recently that I stopped doing that and started following IIFYM instead. One day of excess won't make you gain fat if you are on track the rest of the time.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Last year I went completely insane over Christmas, and I gained 6lbs.
    I intend to do similar this year, but maybe with *some* restraint if I can.
    I really struggle with leaving food (being brought up to clear your plate doesn't just go away) so when we visit my parents and the in-laws is going to be the worst time - they have no idea what a reasonable portion is.
    But, it's once a year, and it's awesome. I'm going to have Bailey's for breakfast with my pancakes, and cheese and crackers, and all the things I don't have the rest of the year.
    And then back on it in the new year.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    This chick does not worry about any holiday overeating as I simply know when I've had enough or a sample of something decadent is enough to satisfy. (wasn't always that way though! obviously!)

I also am a firm believer in moving as much as possible, so there also will be lots of good walks throughout the holidays :smile:

Happy Christmas everyone :smile:
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm nervous but I will just be watching my caloric intake up until christmas eve and then try and portion as much as I can on christmas eve, and on Christmas I won't be tracking because like everyone else said I just want to enjoy the day.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A few years ago when I started logging food (on another weight management website) every day and wouldn't allow myself any indulgences, on Thanksgiving I decided I wasn't going to worry about logging and would eat whatever I wanted. I made it to the end of the day, got all twitchy, actually got up out of bed and wound up logging my 2000 calorie meal. After that, I lightened up and no longer worry over special occasion foods and meals. The thing with me now is I just can't seem to eat as much as I used to. As soon as that full feeling starts in, I have to stop eating. Back in the day, I would have finished what was on my plate and probably had seconds!
  • rkit03
    rkit03 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    So I'm one of the people who is continuing to be very cautious up until Christmas... partly because it ISN'T "just one day" ...I thought it was the norm in this day of diverse families to have a number of Christmas celebrations? In just Dec 24-Dec 28 I have three Christmas celebrations. Going overboard 3 times in a week is setting myself up for a massive backslide. I know I'll be ordering Chinese on New Years Eve (so 4! times in a week) and that will be my big indulgence, but otherwise I plan to stay within my calorie goals or at maintenance, but not over.

You are so right! I have to be cautious, too. There are so many get-togethers with family and extended family that the holidays last at least a week with rich indulgent food present for all of it.