Need some help figuring this out.

Options
Hiya,

Hope i posted this in the right place.

Recent ex Weight Watcher member from the UK here, so a bit overwhelmed with the sheer amount of info in this community and trying to find the answers i'm looking for.

I am Female
36 years old
5 foot 5 inches
and weigh 211 pounds

I want to be able to lose a pound a week.

I have a fitbit charge, and i average around 10,000 - 14,000 steps a day.

I added my stats into MFP and said my activity is light. The app states i have 1810 calories daily to eat, which seems like a lot, but i'm mot so sure at this early stage.

What is confusing me most is when i start earning calories via my fitbit. Am i supposed to eat these? eat some of them? leave them? Also the Fitbit dashborad is saying i'm under budget.

Any advice and support would be greatly received.

Thank you,

Emma :smile:

Replies

• TheKetoCabbie1
    TheKetoCabbie1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Worry about your intake and as long as it's under your burned you will lose, depends if you go under your burned like 500 or 750 under, don't eat your calories back if you are set at light you may change it to sedentary and it will lower you intake,
    Hope this helps
  • emmaharris1979
    emmaharris1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

So i have set my activity to sedentary and MFP is giving me a goal of 1570 and i will earn calories via fitbit.

1570 + Calories earned from fitbit - Do i eat all those or am i supposed to keave a 500 cal deficit via MFP or has that already been calcuated in those numbers?

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have set your profile to lose weight the deficit in already included.
  • emmaharris1979
    emmaharris1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Excellent thank you. Yes i have :)

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Calories from exercise are NOT included in your base goal on MFP. Exercise calorie estimates are ususlly overstated, do most people recommend that you add back about half of those cals, then adjust from there based on your results.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What is confusing me most is when i start earning calories via my fitbit. Am i supposed to eat these? eat some of them? leave them? Also the Fitbit dashborad is saying i'm under budget.

You should set MFP up to sync with the Fitbit and enable negative adjustments (or put yourself down as sedentary). Assuming you stay as lightly active, what should happen is that when your actual activity is less than that it will take away calories, when you are lightly active it will stay steady, and when you do a bit more than lightly active (which I'd expect with those steps), it will give you more. When you do non step based activity log it and make sure the time you enter is correct so it doesn't double count (and depending on what this is you might want to dock the calories some, as some types of exercises usually do have overstated calories from MFP).

Then yes, eat the calories it gives you (work up at first if you want). When I was using my Fitbit I found that it was extremely accurate in predicting my calorie burn for the day such that when I looked at my results over a month what I'd lost was precisely what the FB would have predicted (you need to log food accurately, of course).
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You could always try not eating back your exercise calories, and see if you're reasonably comfortable and energetic, and are happy with the rate of weight loss for a week or two. You can adjust later if you are finding the squeeze too tight.