Goal Weight?

Options
How do you know what your ideal goal weight should be? I do not have the resources to test my body fat %. I do know what my weight was when I was in really good shape but that was years ago and I'm sure I'm built much different now. Is there a science behind it?

Replies

• Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I took BMI combined with the frame size thing https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm

I have a small frame and I'm 5'4 so my "ideal" weight is 114 - 127 lbs. I'm shooting for 120-125, right in the middle of that range.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    when you're happy with the way you look and feel. also, your body tends to let you know...my happy place is about 180 Lbs which puts me at about 12% BF...it's easily maintainable for me without having to get crazy religious with my diet...i just have to eat well for the most part and exercise regularly.

i can and have dropped below that, but it requires me to be overly strict (religious) with what i'm doing and it's simply not worth it to me given that my goal is ultimately to just be a healthy and fit guy...i'm not going to be modeling underwear anytime soon and i'm not concerned with having a visible 6 pack or anything like that.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My weight when I got out of the USMC was 185 pounds. I set my goal weight at 190, close enough for government work. I know that the current 191 is not the same as the old (1977) 185 but I had to pick something. I really don't care what BMI says. I'm 5'10".
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with how you look now then thats your goal 'weight', its not about an number on the scale as everyone is different....
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just make your goal to look like you look earlier, if you are happy with your weight and body is your goal.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I understand being happy about my weight but I am asking about being healthy. Is there any information other than body fat percentage?
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If you get to a weight you're happy with but still have concerns about your overall health I'd imagine a checkup/physical from a MD would be needed.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    you can get an idea of healthier weight range by calculating your BMI - there are several calculators online where just basic info is needed...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I did a combination of BMI, and the old formula of 100Lbs for 5' and 5LBS an inch after that. So for me, 5'6.5" put me at just a bit above 130. That was a good BMI and I had previously looked good at that weight. So I went with that.