Workouts with arthritis?

Options
Hey I'm katelyn and I'm 21 and I have super duper bad arthritis, but I still want to be fit. I take shots in my stomach every two weeks that make the arthritis not as bad. I love going to workout, and during my workouts it's not too painful, but after my workouts I'm having extremely bad pain. Any suggestions on what to do for arthritis after a workout ( it is mainly my knees and elbows). I don't want to just take Tylenol or ibuprofen. If anyone has arthritis and deals with this problem, what's something you do besides a warm bath or heating pad or medication? Help please!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What does your dr recommend? It is something you should discuss with your dr and a physical therapist, they should be able to come up with a plan that will help you.
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've found adding epsom salt to a warm bath, physical therapy and staying active to be the most helpful, but you should really talk to your doctor.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the Epsom salt. A little goes a long way.

Yin Yoga also has some great poses for taking pain out of the legs and back, but it's more for muscles, not bones. See a doctor, I think.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    talking to the dr aside (and definitely talk to the dr), i do yoga to help maintain mobility. I find aerial yoga is great to decrease the affect gravity has on my joints(myalgia). yin and restorative yogas also help tremendously
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I take shots for my arthritis too. And I discussed my exercise plan with my doctor. I'd suggest you do the same.

I personally am a big fan of warm showers, but I need one before exercising. I get stiff from inactivity. Moving around helps my joints.

Do you have RA? That might be different than my condition, I have psoriatic arthritis.

At any rate, you should check with your doctor to see if the forms of exercise you're doing are okay to do with whatever you have. I have a laundry list of some things I just should not do from my rheumy, for example.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kat8194 wrote: »
    Hey I'm katelyn and I'm 21 and I have super duper bad arthritis, but I still want to be fit. I take shots in my stomach every two weeks that make the arthritis not as bad. I love going to workout, and during my workouts it's not too painful, but after my workouts I'm having extremely bad pain. Any suggestions on what to do for arthritis after a workout ( it is mainly my knees and elbows). I don't want to just take Tylenol or ibuprofen. If anyone has arthritis and deals with this problem, what's something you do besides a warm bath or heating pad or medication? Help please!

I deal with Rheumatioid arthritis so my entire body is in pain and swollen daily not to mention my joints are disfigured from the disease.
    While its not a bad idea to ask your doctor, remember they can be 100% wrong. Some of my doctor's advice crippled me for two years, when another doctor ignored obvious signs of cancer, and yet another doctor failed to tell me my kidneys were failing. My doctors are now documenting how I am succeeding while doing the exact opposite of some of their "orders".
    You can PM me here on MFP or DM on my instagram account(ska_tissue) and I can help you with ways to go about pain while lifting heavy or activities. I've been happy to help a lot of people do something today that they couldn't do yesterday.