Cut-off time for eating??

Options
(I see myself becoming obsessed with posting here, nothing better than people with experience to get advice from)

I was just wondering what cut-off time you all give yourself for what time to stop eating for each day (if any). I had always heard that a good rule is 6pm. For me that's kind of tough because I don't usually get home until then and my kids haven't had dinner etc. Also, I tend to stay up late some nights, too. Should it be a certain amount of hours before you usually go to bed, the same time every night?? What do you do??

Replies

• nicole716
    nicole716 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I normally try not to eat after 7pm. however, it really depends on what time you go to bed. I've heard that it's best not to eat 3 hours before you go to sleep. so if you normally go to bed at 11, you shouldn't eat after 8pm. That's just what i've heard. hope that helps :)

- Nicole
  • mojox2003
    mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Iv hurd the whole dont eat after 7 as well I try not to eat big things after then but there are the days where I have been out all day and have to have something,
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't have one. A lot of people swear by a "don't eat after" rule and it's not a bad idea, but really, our bodies are 24/7 shops and if we need to eat at 9 PM, there might be a reason for it. If you want to enact the rule, do so; if not, try it and see what happens. This is all a trial and error process and what works for one, will not work for another; and may need adjustment later on even.

I exercise later in the evenings a lot and have a snack afterwards. If I had a cutoff time, I'd be one mad lady. :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    One of my main fails when i was gaining weight was id eat my big evening meal around midnight, then go straight to bed...

...i know now, ofc...

Basically, they say 3 hours is the rule, so make sure you have you evening meal at least 3 hours before bedtime. Not sure how that applies to the odd minor snack...i just try to keep dinner earlier, that's the big thing for me.

Also, times arent really relevant, as we all go to bed at different times. Simply make sure you eat your "evening" meal more than 3 hours before you plan to go to bed.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    seven it should be but most times its eight and some times later no control on my part
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating anything heavy after 7p. I may have a snack of frozen or fresh fruit but I don't like to eat after 8p.
    Same for liquids, I don't want to drink after 8p or I may be in and out of the bathroom during the night.
  • Palache
    Palache Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    6pm for me! :)
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. If I'm hungry before I go to bed and I have the calories to spare, I have something to eat! Now granted this is more along the lines of a smaller snack rather than a big meal but still, hunger means eat!
    I just don't really believe the whole 'don't eat before bed thing' - as a nurse I've looked at plenty of X-rays and NEVER seen a timer on anyones digestive system!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The whole myth of not eating after a certain has been completely busted. You burn calories all day long and eating right up until bedtime isn't going to hurt your weight loss. I've had many a night that I didn't get home until right before bedtime, had a small something to stop my tummy from grumbling and hit the hay. It's hard to fall asleep when you're hungry and there's no reason you should have to, as long as you still have calories left in your plan.

The only time I would hesitate to eat too soon before lying down is if you suffer from acid reflux or persistent heartburn.
  • zumbariffic
    Options
    I agree. some nights I need a snack at 8...becasue I did not get my cals in for the day. :)
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The whole myth of not eating after a certain has been completely busted. You burn calories all day long and eating right up until bedtime isn't going to hurt your weight loss. I've had many a night that I didn't get home until right before bedtime, had a small something to stop my tummy from grumbling and hit the hay. It's hard to fall asleep when you're hungry and there's no reason you should have to, as long as you still have calories left in your plan.

The only time I would hesitate to eat too soon before lying down is if you suffer from acid reflux or persistent heartburn.

I agree with this, aside from indigestion or in my case sweets give me strange dreams. I think it's more important to regulate what you're eating prior to bed rather than if. In terms of energy usage eating a big o plate of pasta prior to sleeping is probably about the worst time you could do it. On the other hand I've had pretty successful results with supplementing protein prior to sleep, especially if in a phase where I intend to increase lean mass.
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    I don't have a cut off time for eating. If I'm hungry before bed then I will have a snack. I still lose weight. I've tried the cut off thing in the past and didn't lose any more weight per week then I do now without a cut off.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    whew 6 pm?? I don't go to bed until 1030- that would equal some horrible late night snacking! My cut off is usually around 8-8.30 when dinner ends. I realize this is late for some but to fit in a workout and all the random tasks that pop up in my routine, I don't usually get to eating until like 7.30! Unfortunately I wait tables one night a week--those nights I don't get dinner until 1030 :ohwell:
  • PrettyScenery
    PrettyScenery Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I try my best not to eat at least 2-3 hours prior to going to bed so 7 p.m. is my cutoff time.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I don't. I watch *what* I eat, but not *when*. If I'm hungry- I eat!
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Perfect post.

*MEAL TIMING MEANS NOTHING - YOUR BODY DOES NOT CARE WHEN YOU EAT*

The end.
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I read something interesting not to long ago about eating before bed.....it said to not have any carbs at least 3 hours before bed so that your body had time to digest them all and switch back to fat burning for the sleeping hours, otherwise you stayed in carb burning mode all night. I don't know if this is true or not but it was interesting. :flowerforyou:
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Perfect post.

*MEAL TIMING MEANS NOTHING - YOUR BODY DOES NOT CARE WHEN YOU EAT*

The end.
    Not true! If I have a full meal RIGHT before going to bed, I'll have tummy issues for a long, long time after I wake up.

That said, a little snack shouldn't hurt, regardless of time.

It really depends, though. My mom has diabetes, and she needs to eat something within 1 hour or so of going to bed to make sure her blood sugar doesn't drop dangerously low by morning.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    No cut off time. I eat when I'm hungry.
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    A friend of mine is a personal trainer and has today me never to go to be hungry. 1 of the main reasons to eat is so your body has fuel to repair while you sleep. IF you don't eat it feeds off your muscles. I eat about 1 hr before bed. My favorite late night snack is 1/2 c cottage cheese
    1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/4 unsweetened apple sauce
    1/2tsp of cinnamon

mix and enjoy. It sounds strange but it's really tasty!