ATTN Runners....do you get through without the urge....

Options
So I have a weird question/issue. Seems like every time I go running lately I can't get through it without having the major urge to use the restroom. I go right before I head out. I don't take water with me on the trail (even though I should) and still before I can get through my run I have to pee. I usually run 3 miles a day and at 2.5 I am dying to go to the rest room. What's with that?!

Anyone else experience this? Are there any solutions....I'm guessing no since it's Mother nature calling the shots. I was just curious if any one else dealt with this same issue.

Any thoughts, advice or comments welcomed. Thanks!

Replies

• chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    BUMP for real! i have the SAME PROBLEM, SO ANNOYING!!!! I try go before i leave the house, and then when i get to the gym and still have the urge to go. can't wait to see what the runners say.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Maybe have something a little salty 30-60 minutes before running would help you retain the water, then flush with water when you get home. Works on an airplane, thats why they give you pretzels or peanuts, they want you to stay in your seat haha.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what causes it but the thing I've found most useful is 2 hours before you are going out drink LOADS. Then stop 1 hour before. You'll pee a fair bit before you get out and properly empty your bladder.

I
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    not sure...but I have a similar issue only worse...I run on the treadmill so I am close to a bathroom (lol)
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    haha i thought this was just me, craziness like this always comes knocking at my door, but guess not. bump, i would like to know whatandwhy as well.
  • DisneyAddict23
    Options
    I don't have the urge to pee (although sometimes on longer runs, the trots get me), but one of my running partners has this issue. She's older than I am and has had kids, so we know this plays a part. The only thing she does is makes sure she goes right before we head out, and then when the urge hits, she runs through it. It's never been so bad that we've had to stop so she could go. Have you tried perhaps slowing down for a bit until it passes? Sorry I don't have any "real" advice! :)
  • veggievixen
    veggievixen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I average 20-30 miles/week. Sometimes I stop and go if I REALLY need to on long runs, which is rare 2-3 times in the past 5 years. I usually just make sure I go immediately before I head out the door or getting on the treadmill, but you're already doing that so, I'm not sure. If it's occasional, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's every time, I would go see your Dr.
  • sweetpeaga7
    Options
    Glad to hear that at least I am not the only one dealing with this. I haven't ever had kids either so not sure what the deal is. Thanks for the comments for sure though. :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're drinking too much water.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    Do pelvic floor exercises or get a toner of some love eggs or something. Regardless of whether you've had kids it's likely to be because of weak pelvic floor muscles.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'd be concerned if it's that bad you may need to talk to your medical care provider. I have "leaking" issues, but am able to run without any problems. Its always good to get a medical opinion in instances like that.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My body is well trained to "take care of business" every morning before I run. On days where my stomach is acting up, I take half an imodium before I run. Before longer races (halfs & fulls) I usually take a whole imodium just to be safe.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Try this:

Stop drinking 2 hours before your run, then right before you head out, drink a cup of water. Not drinking for two hours before running will ensure you will have emptied your bladder completely before you head out. Then the cup right before you start running will help you start out refreshed but will be sweated out during the run. Make sure you are sufficiently hydrated, though. Drink plenty of water, just stop drinking for 2 hours before you go. HTH
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i get this. Running is quite hard on the pelvic floor so you might be feeling the urge but not actually need to go as much as you think you do.

Take up trail running in the country somewhere so noone sees you if you have to nip behind a tree ;)
  • cecrossley
    cecrossley Posts: 46
    Options
    Have you had kids? That is one of the unfortunate side effects that many moms have to deal with... it can be embarrassing to talk about, but as I have, I've realized it's much more common. It's not that I always feel the URGE to go, but we just don't HOLD things as well. I run with a pad to prevent any unfortunate problems.