Those last 20 lbs...

Options
Ellensays
Ellensays Posts: 10 Member
I'm new here but not new to dieting or counting calories or anything. I used to use LOSE-IT and loved that program but when I got a droid and realized MFP scanned barcodes I was sold. It makes tracking things so much easier.

I have lost 90 lbs and have 20 left that I'd really like to lose but at 180 (where I've been for 6 months) I suppose I could be happy as I am if my body won't cooperate.

I tried WW and only gained weight on it. So went back to counting calories instead of points. But I do best when I eat as little carbs as possible. And it seems I have to eat 1200 a day or less to lose weight at all. Sigh...

Just here for the additional support.

Replies

• Robynnegg
    Robynnegg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm also doing 1200 calories, and am not losing very quickly.
  • Butterfly310
    Options
    I also have to eat very little carbs and no more then 1200 cals to lose weight. You can do it. With the persistance and motivation you can do anything. WW didnt work for me either - ended up gaining weight. Keep up the good work!!
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    you can add me. I'm on the home stretch but I realize it could be another 3 months. I've done herbalife, ww, and now mfp. All were successful but like you said I like this best
  • asmt1010
    asmt1010 Posts: 7
    Options
    Ellensays hang in there girl! I'm pretty new here too (week+half) and I really enjoy this program. My advice is to just find some friends (me! and others) because the peer support really helps even when I don't know people at all. It is hard to loose weight (been working on it for a year and a half plus some) and it is easy to get burned out. I've got 20 more to go also. You can do it, just give yourself plenty of time and exercise is the key. I've also discovered drinking all my water a day helps to. Anyhow, keep trying, we're all here to help each other!
  • kerenvaknin
    kerenvaknin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi! :) Welcome to the MFP community! :)

WTG on you loss!! 90 lbs is amazing!!! I started a new technique of zigzagging calories, you can see on my blog:
    http://gettinginshape3.blogspot.com/

Also, if you want to use this technique here's a nice calculator for calorie shifting:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Good luck! :)
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm new here but not new to dieting or counting calories or anything. I used to use LOSE-IT and loved that program but when I got a droid and realized MFP scanned barcodes I was sold. It makes tracking things so much easier.

I have lost 90 lbs and have 20 left that I'd really like to lose but at 180 (where I've been for 6 months) I suppose I could be happy as I am if my body won't cooperate.

I tried WW and only gained weight on it. So went back to counting calories instead of points. But I do best when I eat as little carbs as possible. And it seems I have to eat 1200 a day or less to lose weight at all. Sigh...

Just here for the additional support.

It scans barcodes? Where is this option?
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issues as well. I'm also on the WW program and gained weight since they redid the program..... Too much fruits and veggies... I tried going back to the old program but didn't help.

Another thing to Robynnegg, I'm having the same issue as I using the 1200 calories but not losing any weight....

Does anyone have any advices for us???
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So what if you are not losing quickly? The longer it takes to come off the less likely it is to go back on because it makes you realise how hard it is to lose weight. I'm happy if I lose half a pound in a week it's in the right direction so I don't see that as a problem.
  • LastTen2Win
    LastTen2Win Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Robynnegg, ladies,

i am on the 1200 calories too. At first I was challenged by this limitation but previously I did weight watchers and i learned how the foods that I eat work in my body. On the 1200 calories here is something you ladies can try for 2 weeks and I guarantee it will work:

#1: Don't count your green/yellow veggies:
    lettuce(any kind), tomatoes, cucumbers, non-fried okra, squash, cauliflower, broccoli (get the picture)
    Do of course count starchy veggies like potatoes, rice, pasta

#2: Burn and Earn
    The calories they give us are for healthy selections such as backed, broiled, and grilled foods, not sauces, dressings, or processed carbs.
    earn the extra calories for things such as croutons, fried foods, chips, sweets, dressings, creams, and processed carbs like pretzels.
    Even if you have the calories, don't use those for the treats, earn more to accommodate the indulgences.

I hope this helps. It has truly helped me. I actually take in 200 or so more calories this way but this method puts your body in BURN mode

!!
  • kerenvaknin
    kerenvaknin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I really recommend the zigzagging method, It works amazing!
  • Ellensays
    Options
    If you have the app on your droid, from the screen where you would search for a food, just right of the search bar is a little icon that looks like a barcode. You press that and then hold it up to the barcode of what you're eating and it finds the nutrition info from an online database. I've only had it be wrong once.
  • Ellensays
    Options
    I've bounced between 180-185 for the past 6 months. So... that's the problem. Losing slowly would be great at this point.
  • Ellensays
    Options
    Hi! :) Welcome to the MFP community! :)

WTG on you loss!! 90 lbs is amazing!!! I started a new technique of zigzagging calories, you can see on my blog:
    http://gettinginshape3.blogspot.com/

Also, if you want to use this technique here's a nice calculator for calorie shifting:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info on this. I've heard of it before. I do have a question though: when it comes to the calories per day you're working with, is that gross or net? It would be easy for me to stay at 1400-ish net calories per day (i.e. really about 1700 cause of exercise) but say I burn 300 in exercise it's a lot harder to stay at 1400 if we're talking about gross. So which way do you do?