Question about Greek yogurt????

Options

Replies

• ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek almost every day for lunch. Of course, I have the kind with fruit in it. (Dannon Oikos is my favorite.) I add about a fourth of a cup of Grape Nuts to give it crunch, stir it all up and... tastes yummy to me! I love it. I never noticed a "sour cream" flavor at all so, either the blueberries or strawberries, banana, peach or toasted coconut killed the flavor or... maybe I'm just naturally a sour puss!! :p
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, Fage denies that their yogurt is different in the US:

http://usa.fage.eu/news/fage’s-state-art-us-plant-0

Interesting, the milk will be different of course but "In fact, our Johnstown plant replicates the manufacturing processes of our yogurt facilities in Greece. Some of our U.S. employees are also trained in Greece to ensure that yogurt production in these two countries is completely uniform and adheres strictly to our family recipe."

Chobani lost a UK court case about calling their product "Greek" as it was sourced in the USA.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Blah I've tried plain yogurt and regular Greek yogurt and I had to add so many extras to cover the sour taste, it was pointless in the end.
    I just get the vanilla Greek yogurt or Chobani now
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Add some fresh fruit like berries to it. It's delicious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Fage yoghurt is the same everywhere, i'm pretty sure.
    It's pretty nice and creamy but my favorite one is from delta, i think they are exporting to USA but i'm not 100% sure (under vivartia's brand name). If you ever see delta's small family farms yoghurt, get it! It's AMAZING.

That's how they look like
    http://www.vivartia.com/?page_id=3648&lang=en

I will definitely look out for it. You've made me want to try it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Interesting, the milk will be different of course but "In fact, our Johnstown plant replicates the manufacturing processes of our yogurt facilities in Greece. Some of our U.S. employees are also trained in Greece to ensure that yogurt production in these two countries is completely uniform and adheres strictly to our family recipe."

Chobani lost a UK court case about calling their product "Greek" as it was sourced in the USA.

Is that related to the EU requirements about geographical designations? We tend to ignore such things in the US, although we finally did bow to the pressure of Champagne about 10 years ago. Well, mostly: http://blog.wine.com/2013/01/inaugural-california-champagne-controversy/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Here in Australia they're only allowed to call it "Greek yogurt" if it's the real thing, otherwise it's Labelled Greek "style".
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I can eat Fago 0% plain. Taste the macros...yum.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I cannot have Greek yogurt unless it's used as sour cream, or for homemade popcicles. If I have Greek yogurt, I get the choplai (sp?) flip.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I do give my dog plain Greek yogurt on top of her food sometimes
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Is that related to the EU requirements about geographical designations? We tend to ignore such things in the US, although we finally did bow to the pressure of Champagne about 10 years ago. Well, mostly: http://blog.wine.com/2013/01/inaugural-california-champagne-controversy/

The UK case was under consumer protection labelling legislation ie a typical consumer expects Greek yoghurt to come from Greece.

We do have the EU PDO rules too for things like Champagne, Camembert etc
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I add chocolate sauce and pb2 to my greek yogurt. It is like...my absolute joy. One of my favorite things to eat ever. When I hear people say they don't like greek yogurt I just don't get it
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I wonder if Greek yogurt in England is different from Greek yogurt in the states, and by extension yogurt in Greece ?

yes it is Yogurt and Greek Yogurt are different in the US
    It is sweeter overall

Yogurt and Greek yogurts in the UK are more sour tasting.

btw so for milk it taste different and butter.
    And i tried a lot.

Now i must say that i love some Irish butter and you can buy that here too but never tried if that is the same.

All diary here are good for weeks...they dont know the daily fresh thing like Holland ( diary is mostly only a couple days in the store as a max)
    Here you buy milk today and it stays good till January lol How....my guess is conserving chemicals whatever.
    And the diary tast more like the UK and Dutch Pasteurized diary.
    It took me some time to get used to it specially the yogurts. I was not used to the sweet taste of things...btw bread too is sweeter. But i do remember that UK bread was also sweeter than Dutch bread.

95069916.png

Depends on the brand, for example Yoplait and Chobani has fillers... such as Kosher Gelatin, Pectin, Locust Bean Gum that aren't present in other brands. It changes the flavour.

But I find major brands like Fage taste close to UK flavours.
    German or French yogurts? OMG.
  • RainbowInTheDark
    RainbowInTheDark Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt is supposed to be a bit sour. It's very healthy for dogs aswell, and they love it. Greece's products arent overly processed, so if you want to go by which one is healthier, i'd choose brands that are Greek and not Greek-american. Fage is a very good option, here in Greece they're one of the top companies. There are better ones ofcourse, but i doubt they export.

You can add honey and nuts, it's a traditional way to eat greek yoghurt, very tasty aswell.
    I'd stay away from artificially flavored ones and just mix it with fruit or anything else i want my self.
    Or you can go full Greek mode, mix it with some garlic, shreded cucumber olive oil and vinegar and here you go, tzatziki! Or skip the garlic and just have a very refreshing side dish that goes with everything and doesn't give you bad breath, hehe

If you like chicken nuggets, marinade them in greek yoghurt and mustard and then cook them. I swear that makes the most tender and tasty chicken nuggets i've ever cooked!

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light and Fit is the best (in my opinion).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Finding full fat Greek yogurt in a supermarket around here is kind of like spotting a unicorn. I think I saw it once out of the corner of my eye.

I'd love to try it.

I can find it around here, although it is sometimes a challenge. However I've found that the 2% has substantially more protein than full fat (24g per cup for the 2%, only 9g for full fat - WHY??). I put it in my oatmeal, use as a sub for sour cream, top it with berries & honey - it's awesome.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    I eat Greek almost every day for lunch. Of course, I have the kind with fruit in it. (Dannon Oikos is my favorite.) I add about a fourth of a cup of Grape Nuts to give it crunch, stir it all up and... tastes yummy to me! I love it. I never noticed a "sour cream" flavor at all so, either the blueberries or strawberries, banana, peach or toasted coconut killed the flavor or... maybe I'm just naturally a sour puss!! :p

You're right, the sour taste is masked by the fruit (and sugar and fructose).

http://www.oikosyogurt.com/greek-yogurt/traditional-greek-yogurt/strawberry
    167a0293ac9461a98d33476c38da6f1c.png
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I don't notice a sour taste, but it never crossed my mind to think of sour cream as sour either (despite the name), so maybe I'm just tolerant toward such tastes.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Skyr all the way! I love melting a bit of pb then mixing it with the yogurt and honey. It tastes like pb cookie dough sort of, and is quite filling!