morning after pill/plan b contraception

Options
Has anyone gained weight from taking the morning aftef pill? How much? How long did it last?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    You would gain about as much as you would gain on a period, so, however long that lasts. I hope you're not considering that in your decision to take it or not.
  • SSAHM
    SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No ive already taken it a few days ago. Just noticed an increase in my weight (i know a million things can cause this) even though ive been busting my *kitten* in the gym. Ive just come off a 3kg weight loss ans 3% decrease in body fat in my fortnightly weigh ins and i have pretty big goals before xmas. Just read some horror stories on google about people gaining alot of weight
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    It should only have an effect that lasts about a week right? So it's not really gonna be that big a deal in the long run!

Don't always trust horror stories. People like looking for excuses!
  • TCamardella
    TCamardella Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 7 years, even straight through my period time (doctors orders). It has not "made" me gain, though I do retain more water, so I have to drink more. That's it, no real fat being packed on.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    SSAHM wrote: »
    No ive already taken it a few days ago. Just noticed an increase in my weight (i know a million things can cause this) even though ive been busting my *kitten* in the gym. Ive just come off a 3kg weight loss ans 3% decrease in body fat in my fortnightly weigh ins and i have pretty big goals before xmas. Just read some horror stories on google about people gaining alot of weight

So you took it once, and your weight has increased from that one dosage?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for around 8 years now. It has never directly impacted on my weight. I gained weight whilst taking it due to over-eating. Perhaps my weight fluctuated when I first went on it (hormonal watery reasons, I imagine) but it was quickly lost again. Too much food causes fat gain.
  • SweetMsMara
    SweetMsMara Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm and OBGYN nurse. It may cause sligh bloating much like when you have a period but it does not cause you to gain weight the way daily oral contraceptives will because it is a short burst of hormones in your system vs. a low does continually being maintained.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you didn't exceed your calorie goal by thousands the past few days, it's just water weight. Don't worry about it.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    I dunno if Plan B causes weight gain but not taking it might. So there's that.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I dunno if Plan B causes weight gain but not taking it might. So there's that.

LOL. Point.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 7 years, even straight through my period time (doctors orders). It has not "made" me gain, though I do retain more water, so I have to drink more. That's it, no real fat being packed on.
    I've been on the pill for around 8 years now. It has never directly impacted on my weight. I gained weight whilst taking it due to over-eating. Perhaps my weight fluctuated when I first went on it (hormonal watery reasons, I imagine) but it was quickly lost again. Too much food causes fat gain.

You guys have been taking Plan B for 7 or 8 years? I don't think that's the way it's meant to be used.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »

You guys have been taking Plan B for 7 or 8 years? I don't think that's the way it's meant to be used.

:D I was thinking the same thing!

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I've taken it on several occasions but I've never really noticed a change in my weight. More so my mood and appetite. Im sure its just water retention from recovering from your workout and partly some caused by the pill. I wouldnt sweat it
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

:D I was thinking the same thing!

Me too! lol
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I only got bloated, but nothing uncomfortable. It always went away.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

So you took it once, and your weight has increased from that one dosage?

It basically induces a period, causing the same amount of bloating or more since it's artificially induced. Any weight is water! It's not in your system for long, your body just needs processing time.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've taken it a few times and each time I felt nauseous and had really bad cramps which are usually only related to my period. I didn't notice any weight gain however I was also drinking heavily at the time and alcohol is a diuretic (I know, I used to live a really healthy lifestyle of unprotected sex and heavy drinking..) Anyways, I wouldn't be too worried, if it is due to the plan B pill, it'll only be temporary.
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I took it once and it caused me to be hungrier than I've ever been! I talked with my obgyn and she said the pill will cause an increase in appetite bc it screws with your hormones. The pill alone doesn't cause you to gain weight but giving into the cravings. The only other thing might be some water retention. Up your protein intake dramatically to feel more full through out the day. Cut sugars out completely until the cravings are gone. It'll pass, I promise :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

They don't mean that they took Plan B for years, but were referring to the regular BC pill.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

They don't mean that they took Plan B for years, but were referring to the regular BC pill.

Yeah...We get that. But it's not what the thread is about.