FRUSTRATED

Options
I started my new weight loss program last Monday. I weighed my self and I was 142. My calorie goal was 1200 and I excerssised faithfully for an hour for at least five days. I went to the gym and did 40 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of strength. Sometimes I would do the Zumba Dvd I have at home in the mornings. On Thursday I weighed myself and I was 141. I was happy and continued what I was doing but today I weighed myself this morning and I'm 143 pounds. I'm so disappointed why did I gain weight when I did everything I was suppose to???

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Just water weight, I'm sure it will be gone next time you weigh yourself. Keep it up, sounds like you are doing great!
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    1st: Are you eating back your exercise calories?
    2nd: Watch your sodium
    3rd: Drink LOTS of water
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It's probably just water retention. Do you have your sodium on your tracking page? I did that and it really helps to control water weight. Don't stress, just keep doing what you're doing and you will see results!!
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    PS a little advice that I think works is even if extra calories get added onto your daily allowance because you worked out, DON'T eat them. I think it helps to just stay to the regular calorie goal instead of giving yourself those extra allowances.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You may need to up your total caloric intake per day as well.
  • nouh220200
    nouh220200 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    by the way it happens in some weeks that we would gain couple of pounds before it goes down gain so dont worry it depends on lots of factors and it does nt have to be that u gained fat , it can be water or muscles it happens to me and I felt the same way before I know the truth about it it so keep on the good work you r on the right track
  • nouh220200
    nouh220200 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    by the way it happens in some weeks that we would gain couple of pounds before it goes down gain so dont worry it depends on lots of factors and it does nt have to be that u gained fat , it can be water or muscles it happens to me and I felt the same way before I know the truth about it it so keep on the good work you r on the right track
  • dborba80
    dborba80 Posts: 6
    Options
    Don't sweat it. Keep doing what you are doing. Weight can flucutate a lot. I have had that happend to me and if I weigh again in a couple of days it will be back down.
  • daisymaegreen
    daisymaegreen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So i'm offering no help in the least (sorry), but wanted to tell you you weren't alone in your current misery. and we all know misery loves company. i've been counting calories for the last month, of which the last week was on MFP, exercing faithfully, and generally being very healthy. and nada. nothing. so frustrating. i feel your pain. my immediate reaction, of course, was to want to give up and dive into a box of oreos. mint, of course.
  • skinnyrache
    skinnyrache Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    SAME HERE! AAAHHH! I started 10 days ago and have worked harder than I have in months. It is hard to stay within 1200 calories, but even if I go over it is by a small amount and my food choices are so much better than they were before. I've been working out faithfully all week, but instead of going DOWN, the scale went UP! So so discouraging! I'm trying to remind myself to be patient and that a change won't come overnight and that I need to stick with it, but I could really use seeing the scale move in the right direction!
  • Treed79
    Treed79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was losing 1 pound a week consistently for a couple months and then all the sudden I stopped. I had lost like 1 pound over 3 weeks time. So added like 200 hundred calories to my intake and then I started losing again. Also I always eat back my exercise calories. The way fitness pal is set up is, when you start your program they give you an amount of calories to eat to lose weight. That means even if you don't exercise you will lose weight eating that amount. So if you exercise you need to eat those calories back to stay at that amount that they gave you. If you eat too few calories your body will stop losing weight and start storing calories. Good luck and don't be afraid to add those calories. It was hard for me, but it worked. :smile:
  • wonderwoman1974
    wonderwoman1974 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So...this is what I thought was right too...clarification. We should really only take in the amount of calories alloted per day?

I am allotted 1310 a day but with exercise it is adding between 500-900 calories back. Should I simply ignore when it adds on and stay at the original calorie amount for intake?

Thanks!! I am new to this!
  • gdelg732
    gdelg732 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks all for your support I will weigh myself again on Monday again lets see what happens hopefully I will lose some weight lol
  • maxzorro
    maxzorro Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! Keep going and the weight will come off. Take some of the advice given below and you will see that next week will be better :)

I am the exact weight as you and I keep going one step forward and two steps back but I keep at it. That's all we can do :)
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    SAME HERE! AAAHHH! I started 10 days ago and have worked harder than I have in months. It is hard to stay within 1200 calories, but even if I go over it is by a small amount and my food choices are so much better than they were before. I've been working out faithfully all week, but instead of going DOWN, the scale went UP! So so discouraging! I'm trying to remind myself to be patient and that a change won't come overnight and that I need to stick with it, but I could really use seeing the scale move in the right direction!

Same here. I work hard to stick to my goal, and even if I go over the 1200 (plus exercise calories, where necessary) it's unlikely to be more than by 200 extra calories.

And yet, I lost 10lbs in the first three weeks and my scale claims I've gained four back. No idea how that's possible when you've been eating less than your body even requires to get by, and it's damn annoying!
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your support I will weigh myself again on Monday again lets see what happens hopefully I will lose some weight lol

One thing I will say, weigh yourself naked, first thing in the morning, after you've used the bathroom (and I'm not talking about washing hair, here).
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Along with what everyone else said...also don't forget that women tend to retain water during certain times of the month. I know I will see the scale go up a pound or two right before...then the next week it's back down again.