Christmas Cookie Recipes...

amillenium
amillenium Posts: 281 Member
I opened the thread in the Food section and expected everyone's favorite cookie recipes. Sadly, it was not....
So I wanted to get some new cookie ideas (we do a lot of baking for various pot lucks). Don't have to be "healthy" just have to taste great :)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I know exactly what thread you're talking about, lol.

I made those last year (after asking for a recipe here) and they turned out really well (even though the dough was odd and I probably messed up somewhere)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10402/the-best-rolled-sugar-cookies/
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I like where this thread is going....(bookmarking)
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    My family loves these. I use milk chocolate chips. Easy and yummy.
    Chocolate chip blondies
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-blondies
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    My favorite are ginger creams and ritz peanut butter sandwich dipped in chocolate!
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    I plan on trying these for my daughter's 3rd grade party:
    http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/12/03/candy-cane-kiss-cookies/

Because...sprinkles.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, softened + 3/4 cups butter, softened
    2 cups white sugar
    1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup sour cream (full fat please!)
    6 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Icing:
    8 oz softened cream cheese
    1/2 icing sugar
    2-4 Tbsp milk as needed

1. Cream 1 cup of butter and white sugar in a large bowl or stand mixer (paddle attachment) until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, and sour cream until well combined. Add flour, baking soda and powder, and salt until just mixed.
    2. Form into two discs, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for about an hour.
    3. One at a time, roll disk onto a well-floured surface creating a large rectangle/oval about 1/4 inch thick. Cover each with half the 3/4 cup softened butter, then sprinkle with half the brown sugar and half the cinnamon.
    4. Roll dough lengthwise into a log, ensuring the end is well-sealed with the butter mixture. Slice each into even rounds (between 1/2 and an inch thick depending on how big you want your cookies.)
    5. Lay each round out onto a parchment-paper covered baking sheet.
    6. Bake in a 350F oven 12-14 min.
    7. Cool on a baking rack until completely cool, then ice.

Cream-cheese icing:
    1. Combine cream cheese and icing sugar with a hand or stand mixer until light and fluffy. If you plan to drizzle the icing, you'll need to also add 2-4 tbsps milk until the consistency is thin enough. If you're using a pastry bag to pipe on the icing, you might only need 1 tbsp.
    2. When cookies are completely cool, drizzle icing with a spoon or pastry bag across each cookie.
  • peleroja
    Raspberry-almond linzers

2/3 cup almond flour
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 cup unsalted butter, softened
    1 large egg
    1 tsp vanilla

(icing sugar)

With an electric or stand mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, then turn the mixer to low and add gradually, mixing until just combined. Wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 350F. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness then cut into shapes of your choice (rounds are easiest.) Cut an additional shape out of the middle of half of the cookies (I did a snowflake. Reroll and cut scraps as necessary.

Place all the whole cookies on cookie sheets and use separate sheets for the hollow cookies (they need a little less time to bake.) Bake until the edges are just golden, 10-12 minutes. Cool on a baking rack.

Sift icing sugar onto the hollow cookies.

Place about 1 Tbsp of your favourite jam (or if you want to make your own filling, let me know and I'll give you my simple raspberry recipe...pretty much any thickened pie-filling type recipe will work fine though) onto the centre of the whole cookies and sandwich with the hollow ones.

When I make my raspberry jam-type sauce I always add a tiny bit of rosewater to make it super aromatic.
  • peleroja
    Rose-cardamom shortbread

1 1/2 cups white rice flour
    3/4 cup icing sugar
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 large egg
    1 tsp rose water
    about 1 Tbsp black sesame seeds (or poppy seeds)
    1/2 tsp ground cardamom

With an electric or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add egg and rosewater and beat again until well-combined. Slowly add flour and cardamom and mix until just combined. Cover and chill for at least six hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 300F. Roll level tablespoons of dough into balls and place on parchment-line baking sheets 1 1/2 inches apart. Use a fork to flatten balls to 1/4 inch thickness. Sprinkle cookies with seeds.

Bake until firm but pale, 20-25 min. Cool on wire racks.
  • peleroja
    Here's a photo of the linzers and cinnamon roll sugar cookies (there's a ginger cookie on there too):

yp0qssjqxyb6.jpeg
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    peleroja wrote: »

2 cups white sugar
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    6 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Icing:
    1/2 icing sugar
    2-4 Tbsp milk as needed

1. Cream 1 cup of butter and white sugar in a large bowl or stand mixer (paddle attachment) until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, and sour cream until well combined. Add flour, baking soda and powder, and salt until just mixed.
    3. One at a time, roll disk onto a well-floured surface creating a large rectangle/oval about 1/4 inch thick. Cover each with half the 3/4 cup softened butter, then sprinkle with half the brown sugar and half the cinnamon.
    4. Roll dough lengthwise into a log, ensuring the end is well-sealed with the butter mixture. Slice each into even rounds (between 1/2 and an inch thick depending on how big you want your cookies.)

Cream-cheese icing:
    1. Combine cream cheese and icing sugar with a hand or stand mixer until light and fluffy. If you plan to drizzle the icing, you'll need to also add 2-4 tbsps milk until the consistency is thin enough. If you're using a pastry bag to pipe on the icing, you might only need 1 tbsp.
    2. When cookies are completely cool, drizzle icing with a spoon or pastry bag across each cookie.

these sound delicious, but I wonder what happens to all that butter (spread on the dough before rolling and cutting) when you bake the cookies? does it ooze out and make a mess? or do the cookies actually turn out like little flat cinnamon rolls?
  • peleroja
    edited December 2015

2 cups white sugar
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    6 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Icing:
    1/2 icing sugar
    2-4 Tbsp milk as needed

Cream-cheese icing:

these sound delicious, but I wonder what happens to all that butter (spread on the dough before rolling and cutting) when you bake the cookies? does it ooze out and make a mess? or do the cookies actually turn out like little flat cinnamon rolls?

Are you able to see the photo? It works exactly like cinnamon rolls :) You need the butter to melt with the brown sugar to make that gooey filling like in a yeasted cinnamon roll.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Here's a photo of the linzers and cinnamon roll sugar cookies (there's a ginger cookie on there too):

yp0qssjqxyb6.jpeg

Oh man. Yum. Wish I wasn't too lazy to make them!
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member

2 cups white sugar
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    6 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Icing:
    1/2 icing sugar
    2-4 Tbsp milk as needed

Cream-cheese icing:

Are you able to see the photo? It works exactly like cinnamon rolls :) You need the butter to melt with the brown sugar to make that gooey filling like in a yeasted cinnamon roll.

ah, yep! those look great. thanks for sharing :smile:
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/glazed-orange-almond-cookies/60de6c67-0f78-4a90-a0e3-b8a704b9d3b9

I just finished making a double batch of these cookies for a cookie exchange at work tomorrow. They are a little putzy, but a really delicious cookie and very pretty, especially if you like almond flavor. Luckily, I have them all packaged up, otherwise they would be very tempting to lure me off my 1 cookie limit.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    I'm making these for a cookie exchange this weekend (and made a test batch last weekend- delicious).

http://www.cookincanuck.com/2011/12/nutella-sea-salt-stuffed-sugar-cookie-recipe-oxo-baking-giveaway/
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Wait sorry I lied, it's this recipe:

http://www.handletheheat.com/nutella-stuffed-peanut-butter-cookies/

Basically just peanut butter cookies stuffed with Nutella. I'm sure the sugar cookies with sea salt are good too.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    ald783 wrote: »
    Wait sorry I lied, it's this recipe:

http://www.handletheheat.com/nutella-stuffed-peanut-butter-cookies/

Basically just peanut butter cookies stuffed with Nutella. I'm sure the sugar cookies with sea salt are good too.

OMG!!! I am so making these!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    *sigh*
    I really need to buy a mixer.
  • LeWahnderful
    LeWahnderful Posts: 65 Member
    Good ole' chocolate chip but with shortening.