when people criticize eating habits/exercise..

Options
I dont think so! This is my way of life now its not a diet nor a fad, my family criticizes me for not wanting to eat with and making my meals separate, that we need a little of everything to be healthy. I totally took milk out of my life, processed meats, no salt on anything i cook, haven't scooped sugar on anything in years, no soda, mainly fruits veggies, fish and chicken. I dont see what the big deal is, why do people specially family criticize this change, im not suffering nor starving im so very happy and my body feels great. So does anyone else have similar stories and if so how do you deal with it.

Thanks

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you preaching to them about how you eat now? Are you asking them to make you special meals? Sometimes friends can be put off by that.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    My family tends to think I eat too much food. I'm a very small guy, so from that perspective I shouldn't be eating that much food. And while my intake is a little more than what some calculators suggest, I'm not gaining weight (and my waist size is/always has been about as small as it gets for a guy). They know that, but still insist that I'm eating more than I need. I do lift weights and ultimately am trying to slowly build muscle (they also know that). It doesn't help that a couple months ago I significantly increased my activity level, so I'm eating even more now than I used to. Basically, I tend to think that their perception of how much I should be eating is a little flawed.

It's not easy sometimes, but it is what it is.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a boring diet but to each their own. I'd find it hard to bite my tongue, but I would.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Eating together is important, IMO. If my diet was alienating me from family I'd seriously reevaluate my diet -- and attitude.

That presumes your family is preparing reasonably balanced home cooked meals though. If your family diet is truly poor to the point you didn't know how to eat vegetables or drink water and had to learn as an adult -- like I've read about here -- I'd cook enough proper food for everyone and share that as much as possible without being obnoxious about it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I agree that not being able to eat with people would be a concern, and I can see why it might bother them. You can eat somewhat differently and still eat with people too. When I was first doing this I tended to make a common protein and veg and then make myself extra veg and a starch (which I'd skip or eat only a bit of) for others. Now I do that less (since I usually eat some of everything), but I still vary portion sizes.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Eating together is important, IMO. If my diet was alienating me from family I'd seriously reevaluate my diet -- and attitude.

That presumes your family is preparing reasonably balanced home cooked meals though. If your family diet is truly poor to the point you didn't know how to eat vegetables or drink water and had to learn as an adult -- like I've read about here -- I'd cook enough proper food for everyone and share that as much as possible without being obnoxious about it.
    I agree. In my family I generally still eat the same foods so this isn't really an issue.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think I've had one person who criticized my diet, and she did so because she is a big believer in the need for a veggie heavy diet. I know her heart was in the right place.

Most people in my life start questioning what I am doing because of my better health and weight loss. I've improved a few health conditions and lost 35-40 lbs in the last 5 months, so I am almost at my goal weight. It is noticeable and people are curious. If anything, I've had a few people move their diet in a similar direction after they ask what I'm doing.

I seem to only get criticism from internet strangers. LOL
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    No one has criticized me but have had people say they couldn't do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    salt is an essential electrolyte....too little salt can be just as unhealthy as too much salt.

personally, I eat very healthfully...but I don't let that alienate me from sitting down with my friends and family and enjoying a meal even if it's not something I would have on a regular basis.

maybe find some balance.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My family are being very supportive but I have to admit that I do find it difficult sometimes to sit down to eat a meal with them. I generally have a smaller portion of food, and may be skipping somethings to stay within my calorie goal for the day, or because I've earmarked some calories for a snack during the evening. That's my choice, it's cool, but it can be hard seeing (for example) some lovely naan bread out for general picking on curry night and know it's not my list of day's food. Also my parents eat super slowly so when I'm having a meal with them it can be a bit torturous!

But yeah, they've been great, very supportive. My only complaint would be when my father tries to push some extra food on me because 'I'm doing so well'. He means well and just wants me to share something he's enjoying. But ack! *grin*
  • FunSizeSandy
    FunSizeSandy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Never ment to sound obnoxious about it, the issue is that my family tends to overeat and eat processed food, and i don't want to. My diet is not boring at all at least not to me.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Unless you are hypertensive, there is no need to avoid salt. In fact, table salt is a major source of iodine. Without it, you are more apt to develop an issue like a goiter.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I tend to struggle with the fact that nearly everything in life is a special occasion, its always someones birthday, or I'm meeting with someone I haven't seen for a while, sitting with family I made a long trip to visit with - I think it is situational. There are times where I think it is good to be polite, control your portions and eat with whoever you'er eating with, but I also think that it is absolutely fine to set boundaries and be adamant about maintaining your lifestyle, because there is always someone else to please out there, gotta please yoself!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I am the main cooker person in my family so mwahahahahaha they ask eat healthy now. We eat the same foods. If they don't like it, they're more than welcome to make their own foods.

As for people dissing my food choices? Omfg all the time! It's generally at work and 98% of the time it's by people saying "omg you can't eat that! You'll get fat! You should try <insert diet fad of the week here> that's so much better for you"
    Then I try to explain that I've allowed for my foods in my diary to them. "oh that's disordered eating!"
    No, well I don't think it is. It's eating what I like. Jest budgeted for
  • FunSizeSandy
    Options
    Unless you are hypertensive, there is no need to avoid salt. In fact, table salt is a major source of iodine. Without it, you are more apt to develop an issue like a goit
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    I am the main cooker person in my family so mwahahahahaha they ask eat healthy now. We eat the same foods. If they don't like it, they're more than welcome to make their own foods.

As for people dissing my food choices? Omfg all the time! It's generally at work and 98% of the time it's by people saying "omg you can't eat that! You'll get fat! You should try <insert diet fad of the week here> that's so much better for you"
    Then I try to explain that I've allowed for my foods in my diary to them. "oh that's disordered eating!"
    No, well I don't think it is. It's eating what I like. Jest budgeted for

Yes yes exactly thank you!
  • FunSizeSandy
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    I tend to struggle with the fact that nearly everything in life is a special occasion, its always someones birthday, or I'm meeting with someone I haven't seen for a while, sitting with family I made a long trip to visit with - I think it is situational. There are times where I think it is good to be polite, control your portions and eat with whoever you'er eating with, but I also think that it is absolutely fine to set boundaries and be adamant about maintaining your lifestyle, because there is always someone else to please out there, gotta please yoself!

I'm glad I'm not the only one .have to stay focused. Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I can see why your family would be upset that you don't want to eat with them any more.
  • FunSizeSandy
    Options
    I can see why your family would be upset that you don't want to eat with them any more.
    Why.
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to my lifestyle change and I had a "cheat" day, due to my family having a pizza/beer night. I instantly regretted it, my stomach is not happy and I will not be partaking in cheat meals anymore. MY family and friends make comments that I'm starving (which im not) or that I cant avoid good food forever (which im not). So yeah I am familiar and its common, not everyone will understand.