Triathlon training for 1yr from now

Options
Hi! I've decided to set a goal of participating in a triathlon next June!!! I'm so excited! I plan to lose an additional 100 lbs between now and then, while ramping up my training slowly to prepare. I've always wanted to compete in a triathlon, and now I'm going to DO IT!

Anyone else out there want to join me in this goal? Anyone have resources, suggestions and ideas to help along the way?

I'd love to hear from others out there about this and maybe have some friends join me in the goal. :~)

Replies

• Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Check beginnertriathlete.com if you haven't. Great resources.

Good luck! I think this is an amazing goal!
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    My boss has competed in several triathlons... I would get on Twitter and follow those who are in training or are coaches there seems to be a ton of info out there on shoes, gear, training, etc.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I just did my first sprint triathlon this past weekend and LOVED IT!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I just did my first sprint triathlon this past weekend and LOVED IT! I had set the goal one year ago and went out and watched the tri I would be competing in this year. It was kind of intimidating seeing all of the fit people out there, but there were clearly some who just wanted to finish. That was my goal this year, just to finish. My hardest part was the bike because it was the one I was least familiar with. It took me until March just to bike 11 miles (the race distance) on flat land. From April until June, I did hill repeats whenever I could. Just up and down some huge hills by my home to get my legs used to it. Last summer, I set a goal of running a 5K in the fall since the run race distance was 3 miles. I ended up doing 3 5Ks between last fall and this spring leading up to my tri. Swimming was not that hard for me since I had been a competitive swimmer most of my life, but prepare well for open water...swimming in a lake is BRUTAL compared to the pool, but nothing you can't practice and overcome. Good luck & feel free to add me as a friend as I continue to train for more tri's!
  • jnickersonx2
    Options
    Susan,

Where are you doing the Triathalon? And When? I've wanted to do something like that for a long time, and used to be good enough to do it, but not anymore. I'd love to train along with you and compete. If you'd like a partner. Talk to me and we'll figure something out.

Jessica
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Me too! I want to do the SheRox series, sprint tri's for women with a woman mentor program. I can run and bike, but swimming is where I would need some help. Plus, I always wanted to know how you switch from one sport to the next? And how do I get my bike back when I'm done LOL!
  • cinmoore
    cinmoore Posts: 4
    Options
    WOW! Awesome goal. I would love to join you on this journey! I have registered to try a triathalon which is a shortened and more manageable version of the triathalon. I go do it on August 21, 2011. I have been excercising like crazy since March28th. I was worried that once I reach this goal that I would lose motivation. If I extend the goal for a full triathalon next year then perhaps I will maintain my fitness level. I have never felt healthier! I would like to lose about 90 lbs in total in the next year or two. I currently swim and bike on the same day but I have not tackled a bike and then run. This is my plan in the next week or two. I have just googled some training tips. It says to combine 2 of the 3 sports and do them as a training cycle. I also go to a boot camp class to amp up my fitness level. I am going to request you as a friend.

Cindy
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Start small and win big! Tri's are super fun. You'll definitely have a blast!! Good luck :)
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Me too! I want to do the SheRox series, sprint tri's for women with a woman mentor program. I can run and bike, but swimming is where I would need some help. Plus, I always wanted to know how you switch from one sport to the next? And how do I get my bike back when I'm done LOL!

Swimming as always the most nerve racking. If you don't have a swim background I would look into getting some private one on one coaching. maybe just a couple lessons to see what you're starting with and how to proceed to refine your stroke. Remember its easy to get into bad habits. And if you ever want to do longer swims it much easier to start with great form than to break those bad habits.

There is a transition area when you go from one to the next where you can set up your "area". A good way for you to learn would be to volunteer at some this year so see how they work, so next year you have a much better understanding of how they work.
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Susan,

Where are you doing the Triathalon? And When? I've wanted to do something like that for a long time, and used to be good enough to do it, but not anymore. I'd love to train along with you and compete. If you'd like a partner. Talk to me and we'll figure something out.

Jessica

The one I am thinking of is near my home in South Jordan, UT. That could change at this point, but that's what I'm thinking right now. I'll send you a friend request. :~)
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Swimming as always the most nerve racking. If you don't have a swim background I would look into getting some private one on one coaching. maybe just a couple lessons to see what you're starting with and how to proceed to refine your stroke. Remember its easy to get into bad habits. And if you ever want to do longer swims it much easier to start with great form than to break those bad habits.

There is a transition area when you go from one to the next where you can set up your "area". A good way for you to learn would be to volunteer at some this year so see how they work, so next year you have a much better understanding of how they work.

Those are questions I hadn't even thought about! I am definitely going to watch and volunteer at some triathlons to get a feel for it. What a great suggestion! Thanks!!
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Thanks for the great advice. Very good idea. I have access to a swimming pool at my community college and they offer lots of swimming activities (I have my kids is swimming there). Great idea, thanks. I will take a trek to see the one coming to my neck of the woods.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing a triathlon next summer as well! I turn 40 in June, and I want to do something big. I'll send you a friend request; maybe some of us can band together for motivation, tips, and support...
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I've just been thinking about this too. I'm already a runner and a biker, so I figured adding some swimming in might be a natural progression. I picked out a Triathlon for next July and I'm excited to start training for it. I'm hoping the fact I don't have a lot of swim experience might help me, was planning on taking private lessons to learn proper technique and such.