Bi-polar mom of 2, Approx 150lbs to lose. weigh in updates!

Options
Hi all!

I am 34 yrs old and I have struggled with my weight since I was probably 8 yrs old. I am currently at my heaviest (372.8lbs). I was diagnosed in June with Bi-Polar depression disorder and have been on a medication called Latuda ever since. It is suppose to be a weight friendly med (i was told almost all anti-psychotics cause weight gain).

I have been lucky (so far) in that I havent had any weight related complications. HOWEVER, my most recent blood work shows my fasting blood sugar is higher than normal. Not prediabetic but very close.

I have two boys (5yrs and 3yrs) my five yr old is awaiting assessment for autism. So I have a LOT of stress factors going on in my life.
I have tried portion control and calorie counting previously with some success, but than became very discouraged when the dietician told me I was doing it all wrong. That was a year and half a go. Since then I put back on the 25lbs i had lost and gained an additional 30lbs on top of that.

I started using Myfitnesspal app on thursday and as of today (tuesday) I am down 8lbs! I have a caloric allowance of 2090cals per day currently and will "Offically weigh in" on thursday mornings. My ultimate goal is 225lbs (I am quite tall and have never been thin and so I feel this would be a comfortable weight for me). But I have set a series of mini goals along the way. My first being 350lbs then 325lbs and of course 300lbs.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any encouraging words ypu may have!

Replies

• mindierae1
    mindierae1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Today is weigh in day!!! I had a great first weigh in. I lost 10lbs!

Starting weight 372.8lbs
    Goal weight 250lbs

WEIGH INS

Week 1 362.8 (-10lbs)
  • Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Awesome job.
  • hmoss619
    hmoss619 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • foxamanda1986
    foxamanda1986 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • Paleodiet4beginnersdotcom
    Options
    Hey there. You will definitely do it.

What diet are you on?

What worked for was the Paleo diet.

I share my experiences on my blog and I am happy to help.

Alfie
  • mindierae1
    Options
    Not on a diet per say. I am just watching portions and calories.

I try to plan my whole day in the am so that i am not stressing about what to eat. I usually saved my biggest calorie load for supper time. As I am a night time eater.

I am increasing veggie intake and trying to decrease carb intake.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Keep posting. When your weight loss slows, tighten up your calorie counting and don't get discouraged. This is s marathon, for life, not a quick sprint diet. Make calorie counting a habit and logging a requirement. You'll get there!!
  • dangerouscurvs
    dangerouscurvs Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are AWESOME! And I can relate to you in a few aspects. I'd like to be your friend and see how you progress.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Great job! You're clearly on a mission!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what is working for you. :)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Great job on your loss so far!
  • mindierae1
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • mindierae1
    Options
    Hi all. Today is weigh in day!!! This past week has been a real struggle for me. I madr very poor choices and had lots of stressful situations going on. Anyways my choices resulted in a gain. This coming week is a new week and so i will get back on track and make better choices!

Starting weight 372.8lbs
    Goal weight 250lbs

WEIGH INS

Week 1 362.8 (-10lbs)
    Week 2 368.9 (+6.1lbs) (Total loss is 3.9lbs)
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    mindierae1 wrote: »
    Not on a diet per say. I am just watching portions and calories.

I try to plan my whole day in the am so that i am not stressing about what to eat. I usually saved my biggest calorie load for supper time. As I am a night time eater.

I am increasing veggie intake and trying to decrease carb intake.

This is what I have been doing also! I could have written that myself! It works for me! I have lost 117 pounds so far. I had a big "light bulb moment" when I realized that carbs make me hungrier! Since then, (about a year and a half ago) I have focused on eating more protein and healthy fats, I stay full longer and so I am able to stick to my calorie goals.

Just work on figuring out what works best for you and embrace it. Learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward. Acknowledge each little victory along the way. Those are the things that will give you confidence and make it easier.

I think you are off to a great start!

• mindierae1
    Options
    Sorry guys! Christmas and new years really did me in! Holiday stress and such. I really fell off the wagon. I havent weighed in at all so this coming thursday will be my first weigh in in like two weeks. :( i anticipate a sizeable weight gain.

I have also set a new goal. 3lbs per week for 24 weeks. I want to shed 70lbs by june. I think it is a healthy lose frame and can be done!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    You go girl!
  • seells
    seells Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started at 390 July 5th, 2015 and today (January 3rd, 2016) I'm down 60lbs. I fell off the wagon a bit after thanksgiving and was able to maintain and not gain but I'm disappointed I didn't lose. I think 70lbs in 6 months is completely reasonable with your weight, it was for me! I eat at about 1500-1600/day. Started at 2000 then slowly dialed it down. I do OKL Keto (low carb, moderate-high protein, moderate fat) and I love it. It can get boring occasionally but it definitely helps me stay on track. Feel free to add me if you want! It's hard to find women who have started at our weights and I love adding people who understand the struggle of losing weight at over 300lbs.
  • JanuaryGingersnap
    Options
    Hi! We're very similar. I started at 380 pounds ( with a little boy on the spectrum and all that entails) and am now down to around 320 (lowest at 309 but have had a setback). I too have a goal of 250 because that is where I'm comfortable. This site has helped me tremendously in keeping up with what I eat. It can be difficult with a child on the spectrum, but they can also be your biggest motivator. For me, my son will need me for a long time and he has inspired me to take better care of myself so that I'll be around for him. He also copies what I do so we are relearning how to eat healthy together. For activity, children on the spectrum get a tremendous benefit from afternoon (or anytime really) activity - it helps them to settle down before bedtime and help with focus and attention needed for any homework, so my son and I either take a really fast walk or have a dance party together. It's not much, but it keeps us going and I find our walks are getting easier and easier. We've also started going on nature walks on the weekends at a local state park. Those first 50 pounds are going to make you feel SO much better and exercising will become much easier as your weight melts off. Keep going and good luck!!!
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good job and good luck!! If you want you can friend me. I'm glad that you didn't let any holiday set backs keep you from you goals. You can totally do this.