Tracking macros

Options
I just get confused, can someone please just explain to me how exactly to track macros and things I should know or buy or whatever please!!!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    You'll need a scale primarily for accurate measurements of food, and configure your macros and calories based on your goals(:
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly recommend trying to lose weight without tracking at first and see if your able to just by cleaning up your diet. This is just my opinion, but tracking gave me anxiety and almost (pretty much did) a food disorder. I stopped tracking for sanity lol and became mindful and intuitive with my food(:
  • jademboyer
    jademboyer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly recommend trying to lose weight without tracking at first and see if your able to just by cleaning up your diet. This is just my opinion, but tracking gave me anxiety and almost (pretty much did) a food disorder. I stopped tracking for sanity lol and became mindful and intuitive with my food(:
    Well I'm actually not trying to lose weight! I really would just like to maintain my weight, and I really just want to get a better understanding of how to track macros! I already eat super healthy and workout 6 times a week so I'm just curious! And I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad your better now!!

• elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to achieve the very best muscle building and fat burning results possible, accurately keeping track of your bodybuilding diet each day is key. This will ensure that you're maintaining a proper calorie surplus or calorie deficit that lands in the proper range based on your goals, as well as an effective macronutrient breakdown to optimize body composition. Although you don't HAVE to count calories or track macronutrients in order to get into impressive shape, it's definitely going to be the most effective route. "Winging" your muscle building or fat burning diet simply leaves too large a margin for error.

If you're going to begin doing this, you need to learn how to count calories and how to count macros properly in order to ensure that you're being accurate with your daily totals. In almost all cases this requires the use of a food scale. This is because measuring cups are intended to measure volume and not weight, and a food scale is the only accurate way to make sure that you're getting the precise amount of each food item you're aiming for. Depending how hard you press, how you pour or how finely you cut a specific item, a measuring cup can end up giving you calorie amounts that range quite a bit. Take 1 cup of brown rice in a measuring cup (which should be 195 grams) and weigh it on a food scale, and you'll usually find that it's quite a bit off. This holds true for most items, such as oatmeal, pasta, fruit etc.

So if you truly want to track calories and macros properly to ensure that your nutrition plan is really nailed down, invest in a basic food scale. It's just as easy as using measuring cups and the last thing you want to do is accidentally sabotage your results simply because you didn't measure out your portions properly.
  • Scarking0134
    Scarking0134 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight while maintaining muscle, what should your macros look like?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight while maintaining muscle, what should your macros look like?

Muscle is weight and just like Fat you can't lose one without the other. keeping your protein at .8 x body weight and Fat at .4 x body weight has been shown to preserve muscle but you must workout hard to keep big muscle big..