"RECOVERY AND WEIGHT LOSS"

Options
rmullins1981
rmullins1981 Posts: 8 Member
edited December 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hello, my name is Richard. I am a recovering functional alcoholic and food demon... I came to the thought that my drinking and weight gain go hand in hand.. Now listen I am not saying everyone is like this. This is just me and my demons that I fight..

With my addictions my brain would say "Richard, you don drive when your drinking, get mad, you don't miss work, your not like those people on the streets, or go out clubbing" drink that drink.. That was my addiction talking..Which would start out with a beer and end up being a whole pint of rum, even going back to the store for more.. And after I had my fill of alcohol, then it was time for Jack in the Box or something of that nature.. I would order all kinds of stuff. I calculated out one time.. $23 just for myself at the fast food joint..

So, with that being said. I printed out 3 months of credit card and bank statements.. I only highlighted when I went to the store to buy alcohol and going out to eat with the family and food binges.. WOW................................. $2050 on trips to the store and $1300 on trips to fast food or eating out.. It hit me like a ton of brinks, right to the face.......................... I decided that something had to change....

I am the cook in the house (which makes this easy). I invested in a dining room table and started the family sitting down and eating a homemade meal.. There is just an intoxicating happiness that happens when families come together for those little 20 min and laughs and talks about their day.. I am truly blessed and have forgot how I was raised at the table also...

So, I start having each family member pick something out for dinner on pinterest and I went to work. Since I am the cook, I am talking their favorite dishes and making them more healthy (without telling them). I went a week with their dishes and the next started putting healthier ingredients. They don't know the difference.

I start out weighing 350 pounds..... And after making the changes I am 330 pounds in a little 2 week period.. I know that it is easy to be motivated now. I am starting this message board in order to help other people that are going thru the same thing that I am and also help myself out by putting my demons on blast.. This is a hard thing for me to do.. My mind says "You are a man.. You work out in the oilfields and do man stuff".. Well its time to tell that brain to shut its mouth and trying something new.. Because this isn't the first time I have tried to lose weight..

I hope this helps.. To those of you reading this and that need help.. There is nothing wrong with asking for help. Chances are everyone already knows but you.. No Shame, No Gilt, and looking at yourself now and feeling bad.. Rejoice in that "Today is the day that I take my-life back" Make that chose and if you fall then don't beat yourself up. Just get up and try and try and try like hell not to do it again.. No sense on beating yourself up.. We are human and we all mess up.

I am just going to do what I can everyday and in my mind, that is good enough...

Please leave comments. I am going to start posting on this everyday on how it is going for me. The tough and good times.. I hope to hear from you...

Peace be with you all......

Replies

• jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow! It's awesome that you have been able to take a step back and look at yourself and your lifestyle so honestly, and are now making positive changes. I love that you looked at your credit card statements (and it terrifies me to even think about what mine would look like if I did the same thing!) You know that some days will be tough, but it sounds like you're in the right frame of mind to take control of this. Keep up the good work and great choices! I'll be rooting for you and look forward to your updates!
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Richard. I am a recovering functional alcoholic and food demon... I came to the thought that my drinking and weight gain go hand in hand.. Now listen I am not saying everyone is like this. This is just me and my demons that I fight..

With my addictions my brain would say "Richard, you don drive when your drinking, get mad, you don't miss work, your not like those people on the streets, or go out clubbing" drink that drink.. That was my addiction talking..Which would start out with a beer and end up being a whole pint of rum, even going back to the store for more.. And after I had my fill of alcohol, then it was time for Jack in the Box or something of that nature.. I would order all kinds of stuff. I calculated out one time.. $23 just for myself at the fast food joint..

So, with that being said. I printed out 3 months of credit card and bank statements.. I only highlighted when I went to the store to buy alcohol and going out to eat with the family and food binges.. WOW................................. $2050 on trips to the store and $1300 on trips to fast food or eating out.. It hit me like a ton of brinks, right to the face.......................... I decided that something had to change....

I am the cook in the house (which makes this easy). I invested in a dining room table and started the family sitting down and eating a homemade meal.. There is just an intoxicating happiness that happens when families come together for those little 20 min and laughs and talks about their day.. I am truly blessed and have forgot how I was raised at the table also...

So, I start having each family member pick something out for dinner on pinterest and I went to work. Since I am the cook, I am talking their favorite dishes and making them more healthy (without telling them). I went a week with their dishes and the next started putting healthier ingredients. They don't know the difference.

I start out weighing 350 pounds..... And after making the changes I am 330 pounds in a little 2 week period.. I know that it is easy to be motivated now. I am starting this message board in order to help other people that are going thru the same thing that I am and also help myself out by putting my demons on blast.. This is a hard thing for me to do.. My mind says "You are a man.. You work out in the oilfields and do man stuff".. Well its time to tell that brain to shut its mouth and trying something new.. Because this isn't the first time I have tried to lose weight..

I hope this helps.. To those of you reading this and that need help.. There is nothing wrong with asking for help. Chances are everyone already knows but you.. No Shame, No Gilt, and looking at yourself now and feeling bad.. Rejoice in that "Today is the day that I take my-life back" Make that chose and if you fall then don't beat yourself up. Just get up and try and try and try like hell not to do it again.. No sense on beating yourself up.. We are human and we all mess up.

I am just going to do what I can everyday and in my mind, that is good enough...

Please leave comments. I am going to start posting on this everyday on how it is going for me. The tough and good times.. I hope to hear from you...

Peace be with you all......

Congrats on the progress so far. Keep going, man.
  • rmullins1981
    Options
    Thanks guys..

This weekend it hit me a bit but not too bad..

When I stopped smoking, every time that I would have a craving, I would stop and sit back and ask myself why do I want this... I have started using that same thinking with my drinking and eating.. It has helped so much.. It got me thru the craving this weekend and it only last for about 5 mins.. Also, the elliptical works wonders...

I needed to change the way I thought... From thinking every morning that I didn't have enough sleep and then I don't have enough time to get ready.. Why so we do these things to ourselves? I am going to replace it with I have more than enough of everything.. That has worked very well..

Gratitude is the way to get want you want... I what I want is to be Happy and healthy..

Progress on the start of week 3:

1" around the neck
    1" around the stomach
    1" around the hips
    Down to 326- 24 pounds to date.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Good job Mullins. I also ask myself "why do you want this?" Often it's because it's just a habit and I think I should eat enough candy to feel stuffed and almost sick, rather than just wanting a little bite of that yummy candy that's so filling because I love how it tastes. When I remember to savor the bite and the taste the craving usually disappears. Usually because it really does any taste that good after all.
  • rmullins1981
    Options
    Changing a life (for the better) is addicting.... I like that...
  • rmullins1981
    Options
    What are your guys' goals for today?? Doesn't have to be for weight. Just an open forum..
  • krstang89
    krstang89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am an addict in long term recovery and I recently celebrated 3 years clean. I finally became willing to deal with the unmanageability food was creating in my life about 2 months ago. I feel amazing! Working out and eating healthy is just one more piece of my recovery now. :)
  • lx3tx
    lx3tx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like what you had to say about gratitude! For the past few months, gratitude has been my mantra. I find it completely changes my outlook.
  • rmullins1981
    Options
    krstang89 wrote: »
    I am an addict in long term recovery and I recently celebrated 3 years clean. I finally became willing to deal with the unmanageability food was creating in my life about 2 months ago. I feel amazing! Working out and eating healthy is just one more piece of my recovery now. :)

That is great.. I used to feel so alone in my habits, but going to meetings and dealing with my issues I have found that I am not alone..
  • rmullins1981
    Options
    lx3tx wrote: »
    I like what you had to say about gratitude! For the past few months, gratitude has been my mantra. I find it completely changes my outlook.

Yes, mine too...