Fellow runners - shin splits?

Options
Looking for advice from fellow runners - have started to experience pain in my left shin during and after running. I ran 5k at lunchtime and it's still hurting now. This started a few weeks ago and has been on and off ever since.

I'm gutted because I ran my first 10k last month and am really getting into it. But today was so bad I wanted to walk home (I didn't - I kept running through the pain!)

How long do I need to take a break from running? I also swim and do spin so was thinking of concentrating on these activities for a while. I'm also wondering if I need new trainers - I've never had proper, expensive running shoes.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Looking for advice from fellow runners - have started to experience pain in my left shin during and after running. I ran 5k at lunchtime and it's still hurting now. This started a few weeks ago and has been on and off ever since.

I'm gutted because I ran my first 10k last month and am really getting into it. But today was so bad I wanted to walk home (I didn't - I kept running through the pain!)

How long do I need to take a break from running? I also swim and do spin so was thinking of concentrating on these activities for a while. I'm also wondering if I need new trainers - I've never had proper, expensive running shoes.

I just bought a pair for $70 so they're not all horribly expensive. Really they're not any more than other athletic shoes. I'd start with the new shoes and some rest. Ease back into the miles and if it hurts while you're running then stop. You're done until it heals. You're just making it worse at that point.

Keep up the swimming and spinning in the mean time.

#YNBQ
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

There are a number of different potential causes, but it sounds like you've identified at least one candidate yourself.

Generally something from:
    • Shoes are inappropriate for your running gait, or worn out. There is some conflicting opinion on the value of shoe fitting, but there does seem to be a weight of evidence behind the value. Equally shoes have a life of between 300 and 500 miles.
    • Your gait is placing excessive torque on your lower leg - Take a short pace with your leading oot landing under or only just in front of your centre of mass.
    • Too much, too soon - Trying to increase your distance or pace too quickly - No more than 10% increase per week in either distance or pace.
    • Congenital issues - See a physio

What I'd say now is you need to rest from running until it goes away.

I have an opinion on the alue of running through the pain. I'm not gong to tell you what it is as it may upset you.

Spin may make the problem worse in the near term.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    a) rest.
    b) get fitted for shoes. if you want, ask if they have last years model in your size
    c) go slow, take rest days
    d) RICE
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Thanks...I do take rest days, only training 5 days a week currently. Not sure why spin would make it worse though? Doesn't hurt when I spin and impact is on upper legs rather than lower.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's about stress on the lower leg. Shin splints are essentially microfractures in the shin bone and tearing in the muscle of the lower leg pulling it ff the shin bone.

Cycling, particularly at higher resistances/ lower cadences stresses both above and below the knee, so exacerbating the problem and slowing down healing. If you're pedalling in circles, as you should be, you're working both the calf and the shin muscle.

Cycling is a very good cross training activity, particularly where clipped in as it helps balance the muscle development in the shin and calf. But until the injury is healed it'll slow recovery.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great advise above, try yin yoga:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3haRNn-5I

Also, be careful that your "shin splints" are not really a sign of a stress fracture coming on.

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-doctor/ask-the-doctor-shin-splints-or-stress-fracture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEA3pz73xBg
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use to suffer from them a lot.
    My advise, along with the other things that have been posted above.. Go to a running store, not a generic fitness store, and get fitted for good shoes. They should watch you run on a treadmill, many of the stores video you running then play it back in slow motion so you can watch how your feet hit the ground, they also look at how you walk barefoot. It makes such a big difference when I got the correct shoes !
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

if you're going to run, you need the right gear, and nothing is more important than proper shoes. you should go to a running store and get fitted...they will analyze your gait to see if you are neutral, pronate, or supinate and fit you accordingly. they should bring you out a few different brands to try as well. they don't have to be outrageously expensive either...my first pair was $120 at the store and since i now know what kind of shoe i need and like, i can usually find deals on-line...i haven't spent more than $90 in quite awhile.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Thanks everyone....definitely need proper shoes, having just been running in generic trainers up til now.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Follow the advice above- and buy kinesio tape to help speed up the healing process. You can buy it at any drug store and there are multiple methods on youtube to apply it.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    ICE!!! Last time I had shin splits I was icing two or three times a day (I had one pack on the source of pain, and a second around my knee). Also, for prevention, strengthening the calf muscle really helps.