Favorite leftover roast chicken ideas?

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,669 Member
I'm getting a little bored of my easy leftover roast chicken recipe.

Chopped chicken. Jar of commercial salsa, A chopped avocado. Very quick and tasty chicken salad.

Any other ideas for leftover roast chicken?

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    white chicken chili, put in with some veggies and crumbled bacon for a chicken blt salad, any pasta dishes
  • PirateJeni
    PirateJeni Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Dip it in caramel, hot fudge, sprinkles and . . . oh that's left over marshmallows : ( I hope you have a sense of humor, our Accountants just put out tables of delicious desserts for a holiday treat and I was off course yesterday so none for me. I too am interested in creative ideas for left over chicken. Thank you for asking, I am anxious to see the replies.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    It's not really diet friendly, but it's amazing. This is how I use use up leftover roast chicken.
    Google "the girl who ate everything chicken and spinach stuffed shells"
    One of the best internet recipes I've ever found.

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I make soups, salads, tacos, etc. Warm with a little bbq sauce and stuff into a baked sweet potato.

I do soup the most.
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/rotisserie-chicken-soup.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/10/chicken-cacciatore-soup.html
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I like to sauté onions and peppers in evoo, add chopped chicken and salt and pepper, and serve over leftover rice.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of buffalo chicken. Mix with wing sauce and some low cal ranch or blue cheese (I use Bolthouse), then put on a sandwich or eat over greens as a salad.
  • SaharahEllers
    SaharahEllers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out Pinterest for recipes. I saw a recipe for a sandwich with all kinds of yummy veggies and some chicken. I have a few boards on recipes. The one that is Paleo is the best for health foods...https://www.pinterest.com/saharahtreasure/paleo-recipes/ good luck
  • lucy16076
    lucy16076 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love to make a hearty chicken soup with veggies, Start with veggie or chicken stock, add in 1 tsp Italien seasoning, diced chicken, carrots, a bit of minced onion & garlic, maybe some celery and/or spinach & if you have the space in your diet, orzo pasta....is super yummy on a chilly day! Simmer for 1/2 hour & should be good to go!
    Chicken quesadilla's also easy! Spray pan with a little EVOO & add in one whole wheat shell, chicken, low fat cheese & salsa, diced onions & put the other shell over....allow to heat to melt cheese & flip....enjoy with avocado or a bit of no/low fat sour cream ;)
    Also love to have a chicken ceasar salad with a low in sugar dressing :) !!
    Chicken is so versatile...maybe add in some avocado, tomato, salt, pepper & make an open faced chicken salad sandwich.
    Getting hungry......mmmmmmm
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. My favorites are definitely a pita/tortilla/flatbread pizza (BBQ or Thai peanut), quesadillas, enchiladas, stuffed peppers, zucchini boats, and chicken chili (white or red).
  • acpgee
    Options
    Thanks for the nice suggestions so far. Tonight we ended up making a salade nicoise with tuna replaced with leftover chicken.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Stovetop rice casserole: Cook rice in chicken bouillon over sauteed onions, red sweet peppers, and garlic. (If you have a lot of calories for the day, you can add a bit of sausage if you have some.) 5 minutes before it's done, toss in the torn bits of chicken to warm up as the rice cooks.

Or: with zucchini and garlic, over rice (or pasta if you like it).

Or: in a pita with tzatziki and sliced onions & tomatoes. Tzatziki: diced cucumbers, garlic, bit of oil, dill mixed into Greek yogurt.

Or: in a flatbread with pesto, roasted peppers or mushrooms, zucchini, bit of cheese, maybe a small slice of proscuitto.

Or: tossed in a sauce of soy, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger, over rice, with boiled or steamed greens. (Add some pre cooked frozen shrimp if you want.)

Or: chicken salad sandwich: mayo & chopped green onion & celery on a bread you like.

Or: in a kind of chicken pie - shredded, over smashed potatoes and brussel sprouts, with a red wine/garlic sauce, and baked. Or same sauce with the chicken just heated up, with some boiled new potatoes quickly sautéed in garlic and butter and some greens.

Or: just warmed up in a pan after you cook some asparagus and cherry tomatoes (that one's a jamie oliver recipe iirc).
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I strip the meat from the carcass and chop it up. Make a stock with the carcass and then use that and the leftover chicken in a risotto with lots of vegetables. All in one meal but does come out at about 5-600 calories per serving once the parmesan cheese is added
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You could chop or shred it into this recipe

I made this for dinner tonight. Turned out pretty amazing.

1 can sweet corn
    1 can sweet creamed corn
    250 grams diced russet potato (about 1.5 cups)
    32 grams diced sweet yellow pepper (about 1/4 cup)
    104 grams diced yellow onion (about 1/2 cup)
    128 grams (about 1) chicken breast boiled/shredded
    8 oz milk
    16 oz water or chicken stock
    chicken bullion (unless using stock)
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tbs butter

Saute onions in butter until translucent
    Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a slow boil. Reduce and simmer until potatoes are tender. Makes about 6 cups 204 calories per cup. (if you go by the above weights.)
  • acpgee
    Options
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/avgolemono-352269

Add shredded chicken indeed. Serve with some roasted veg or salad and call it a balanced meal.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    007Aggie wrote: »
    I eat a lot of buffalo chicken. Mix with wing sauce and some low cal ranch or blue cheese (I use Bolthouse), then put on a sandwich or eat over greens as a salad.

This seems delicious! I like the Bolthouse dressings too. Over greens in a salad it will be o:)
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A makeshift schawarma in a whole wheat wrap!

-make your own spice combo from a recipe (or buy schawarma spice ready made)

-The ends of all the salads in your fridge!

-if no salads handy, I like cucumbers or celery - to offset the dryness of white meat I've roasted and now reheated

-Top with tahini (or curry-mango sauce)

-Grab a napkin, and enjoy
  • abertrand87
    abertrand87 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i buy tiki masala or vindaloo indian sauces and put a jar of that, chicken and frozen peas in there and serve it over rice.

or I make quesadillas. tortilla, 1/4 cup grated cheese, some fajita seasoned chicken and salsa. fold over and bake (350 degrees) for 10 minutes, flip and cook for another 5.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am making Chicken Cacciatore right now. My only mods are dried mushrooms for the canned, crushed garlic for the powder, red wine vinegar for the wine, no gravy browner, and no sugar. Jean Pare's recipes (Company's Coming), when you can find them, are all winners.
  • gettinfabnfit
    gettinfabnfit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Chicken noodle soups, egg noodle casserole w/chicken, chicken chile, chicken sandwich