help - Eat Smart Morrisons Spray Cream

Options
chels1605
chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
Hi All

Morrisons have a spray cream in their "Eat Smart" range which is 25kcals per 55ml....

Now, you spray 55mls of cream into a bowl.... its LOADS - it FILLS it up..... how can it be only 25kcal!!

So my question am I weighing it wrong? I put my bowl on my digital scales, turn it onto "ml" (it says water next to where it says ml), I reset it to 0 and spray away..... HELP!!!!!

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Milliliters is a volume measurement, not weight, that's why it's off.

My best example for this is mini marshmallows. Say a recipe calls for one cup (8 oz by volume) of mini marshmallows. If you measure out one cup of mini marshmallows, you'll have used approximately 1/5 of the bag.

But say you were to use that 8 oz "conversion" as a weight instead and you weigh out 8 oz of mini marshmallows. You will have used approximately 4/5 of that same bag of marshmallows.

So it's always important that you're using the proper method of measuring for serving sizes. :)
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    How many servings are in the can?

Is 55ml a serving?

There is a lot of air in spray cream - even a bowl full will be mostly air.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It does sound low, but then you never know! - It is from the eat smart range.

You could always get a measuring jug that does smaller increments such as every 5 or 10ml, and measure it that way, can't go wrong with that :-)
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Milliliters is a volume measurement, not weight, that's why it's off.

My best example for this is mini marshmallows. Say a recipe calls for one cup (8 oz by volume) of mini marshmallows. If you measure out one cup of mini marshmallows, you'll have used approximately 1/5 of the bag.

But say you were to use that 8 oz "conversion" as a weight instead and you weigh out 8 oz of mini marshmallows. You will have used approximately 4/5 of that same bag of marshmallows.

So it's always important that you're using the proper method of measuring for serving sizes. :)

I'm confused!!! So am I better to weigh it in grams??? why does my scales have "ml water" on it if it's not a weight???
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a scale with ml on it. But if it specifically says "ml water" then it's likely been calibrated to convert water weight to accurate ml. But since water is one specific density and weight, you wouldn't be able to use it for other items. Your whipped cream is much lighter, so you're getting more than you should. If you were to use it for something like a pure maple syrup, that is denser and heavier than water, you'd get less.

You should be using a volume based measuring for the whipped cream. Either measuring cups or measuring spoons. Unless your can label specifically has a weight measurement on it as well, in which case, set your scale to that unit of measure and weigh it that way.
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    i agree, use a jug just to be on the safe side. i mean, if you need 400ml of milk then you use a container not scales, right? so just find a container with 10ml or 20ml increments and use that instead.