Favorite healthy fast-food items?

Options
What's your favorite healthy fast food item? I'm in love with Panera Breads Roasted Turkey Avacado BLT

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Panera Bread Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
    Wendy's Asian Cashew Chicken Salad

Oh, and a Quarter Pounder. It is loaded with protein and also has fat, which my body needs. I prefer it without the stuff they call "cheese" on it. I just have to make sure I fit it into my calorie goals for the day.

Maybe a better way to look at it is "favorite lower calorie fast food items." Food is food - it offers nutrition either in the form of protein, energy, vitamins, minerals - some food is just more nutritious than others. :)
  • Rebecca_MT
    Rebecca_MT Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very true! I love the Big Mac but other then the protein it doesnt have much nutritional value! Lol
  • eskimohugger
    eskimohugger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken Gyro from Pyramid Cafe

Cheeseburger from McDonalds (Very processed but serves as a source of energy for a quick snack before the gym)

Krystal sandwich - low calorie and cheap
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Rebecca_MT wrote: »
    Very true! I love the Big Mac but other then the protein it doesnt have much nutritional value! Lol
    Um, yes it does.
    Potassium - 396mg (11% DV)
    Calcium - 25% DV
    Vitamin A - 8% DV
    Vitamin B-12 - 31% DV
    Iron - 24% DV
    Magnesium - 11% DV

Sure, its high in sodium (1007mg) and fat (33g), but it isn't devoid of nutritional value.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    1 food item can't be healthy or unhealthy, that describes the diet on the whole.

My favourite takeaway food is cauliflower bhaji, I could eat it all the time and the calories aren't too high either.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by healthy?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    garden pita from pita pit with all the veggies,olives,pickles, hummus & babaganoush
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Rebecca_MT wrote: »
    Um, yes it does.
    Potassium - 396mg (11% DV)
    Calcium - 25% DV
    Vitamin A - 8% DV
    Vitamin B-12 - 31% DV
    Iron - 24% DV
    Magnesium - 11% DV

Sure, its high in sodium (1007mg) and fat (33g), but it isn't devoid of nutritional value.

YES!

When I order fast food burgers I do not eat the cheese because I don't like the way it tastes - so that saves calories and fat (but also takes away the calcium, oh well...) and I also make sure I have just ketchup on it and not mayonnaise or the "Special Sauce" - again, because I hate the way they taste - and it saves a BOATLOAD of calories/fat. I have a hard time meeting my minimum fat goals anyway so the high fat burgers don't bother me. It just has to taste good and fit into my day.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    As others have said, "healthy" is subjective. Unfortunately, a single fast food meal could easily put me over daily calorie goals. Even reasonably sized fast food meals bring me within 200-300 calories of my total daily goal.

Unless I want to over-eat for the day, "fast food" means I get a chopped salad at Subway. At times, I even can fit enough calories to add cheese in it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    quarter pounder no cheese + large unsweet tea
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    As others have said, "healthy" is subjective. Unfortunately, a single fast food meal could easily put me over daily calorie goals. Even reasonably sized fast food meals bring me within 200-300 calories of my total daily goal.

Unless I want to over-eat for the day, "fast food" means I get a chopped salad at Subway. At times, I even can fit enough calories to add cheese in it.

Same here, which is why it is nice to be able to pick and choose what you want rather than ordering the full meal-deals. Good example is what @jemhh just said. Get the quarter pounder, no calorie drink and no fries. Then it's much more doable to grab fast food every now and then.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Chipotle - my go-to low calorie fast food. Brown rice bowl with chicken and pinto beans with hot and mild salsa comes out to 545 calories. The brown rice has a little more calories than the white but I think it's tastier.

I am going to try Southwest Moe's which has a similar menu. Good alternative until Chipotle gets their act together and stops making people sick.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Today was Chick Fil A grilled market salad. Yesterday was Burger King double cheeseburger with added lettuce, tomato & onion.
  • pchrysta
    pchrysta Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I have enough cals and don't want to cook... McDonald's hamburger, small fry and snack size Oreo mcflurry = 620 cals. B)
  • wizzybeth
    edited December 2015
    Options

A quarter pounder without cheese is about 440 calories. It is filling for a lunch for me - coupled with a bottle of water. If I want a small fries (229) and/or small coke (140), then we're closer to 600-800 calories.

I stick to 1300 calories a day and my breakfast is often only about 285 calories. That's got me at 1085 calories with a little less than 300 for dinner, unless I walked the dog and/or went to the gym that day so I may have an extra 250-300 calories there.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    A Wendy's large chili has become my go to fast food meal. Loaded with protein, filling, yummy and even with w/cheese it's still under 400 calories before adding crackers.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My fav's are Wendy's chili no crackers(sometimes with cheese) getting a small is filling enough. Sometimes I opt for the spicy caeser salad but with the dressing on the side and no croutons. I think fast food is a given in our society today. Especially considering how many people travel and commute everywhere. Not to mention the kids aspect of it all! LOL :) Happy eating~
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

A quarter pounder without cheese is about 440 calories. It is filling for a lunch for me - coupled with a bottle of water. If I want a small fries (229) and/or small coke (140), then we're closer to 600-800 calories.

I stick to 1300 calories a day and my breakfast is often only about 285 calories. That's got me at 1085 calories with a little less than 300 for dinner, unless I walked the dog and/or went to the gym that day so I may have an extra 250-300 calories there.

I envy anyone who says that a quarter pounder is filling. I'm hungry even when eating my salad, and I'm almost never satisfied with my 1,620 daily calories even when filling up with foods that are not calorie dense at all..
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Water helps me feel full. Are you eating enough protein and fats?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Water helps me feel full. Are you eating enough protein and fats?

Yes, I just have an insatiable appetite. On days where I've logged but not restricted, I rarely eat fewer than 10K calories, and sometimes more than 20K. Part of it could be that my body does not make amylin.

Anyway, just wanted to make the point that fast foods are rarely filling for some people... the nutritional / healthy aspects are debatable, though. I'm not trying to elicit additional responses off-topic from the thread.