water consumption

I have heard people say they try to drink 2 or more gallons a day. Others say 8 cups a day is to much water and that is not healthy because you could get water intoxication. I have been drinking 4 cups a day over the course of 1-2 hrs in the morning to start my day. How much water do you think is healthy to drink in a day? and per hr? Thanks!

Replies

• Shelle58704
    Shelle58704 Posts: 25 Member
    2 gallons seems like a lot! I've heard that one fluid ounce per pound of body weight is a decent bench mark to strive for. I get right around one gallon.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I drink a glass of water with each meal and then just drink to my thirst level. My urine is very pale so I'm plenty hydrated.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/dehydration-myths_n_3498380.html
  • I was always told you should drink half of your body weight in ounces. I'm 250 pounds, so I should be drinking 125 ounces
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I just drink when I feel thirsty. I've added it up and I drink quite a bit of water (north of 128 oz per day.) (Yes, I've been tested to be sure I don't have diabetes.) As @Lounmoun wrote, I wouldn't worry about hitting a specific goal.
  • amandabeaulne1
    amandabeaulne1 Posts: 7 Member
    If you're thirsty- you're dehydrated.

I drink 8 cups a day. I find that I'll only drink water if it's out of a bottle.... I always drink a bottle before my meals. To right there that's 6 cups (since a bottle is 500mls). I drink the last bottle usually throughout the day, or in the evening.

I'm never thirsty, and my urine is also pale- so for me this seems to be doing the trick. Plus it's pretty easy once you get in the habit of doing it. :) I have over 90lbs to lose, and I think the two cups before a meal is helping with my overall hunger throughout the day too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I drink between 2-3L of water a day and that's not including milk or the water that's present in food.
    It's summer here now, so I'm drinking more. I probably only get around 1-1.5L a day in winter.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    If you're thirsty- you're dehydrated.

Another sign of chronic dehydration is NOT being thirsty though. Like me. I know I'm not drinking nearly enough, but I'm just not thirsty. I'm trying really hard to drink more water but I have no desire for it. :/
  • ngasto
    ngasto Posts: 1 Member
    You should drink 2litres per day and you shouldn't drink during the meals. It is better to drink after o before meals not during.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    There's no set amount. Drink enough water to satisfy you. 8 cups is fine, 2 gallons...that's a bit overboard unless you train religiously, IMO.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    ngasto wrote: »
    You should drink 2litres per day and you shouldn't drink during the meals. It is better to drink after o before meals not during.

Unless there's a specific medical condition to watch out for, it does not matter when a person drinks. Many people need to wash down a meal so they don't dry-choke.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    ngasto wrote: »

Unless there's a specific medical condition to watch out for, it does not matter when a person drinks. Many people need to wash down a meal so they don't dry-choke.

And just see if you can convince a server you don't need a glass of water with your meal.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    ^this. I just let me give me one. Then they look all puzzled when they come back to refill.
  • xo_laurajane
    xo_laurajane Posts: 8 Member
    2 gallons sounds outrageous. I second that comment that said have your body weight in ounces. I also weight 250 and aim to drink 125oz a day. That does the trick while I'm in weight loss mode. Once I'm maintaining I will be happy with about 64oz a day.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited December 2015
    The overwhelming majority of people will be perfectly fine trusting their thirst. We have it for a reason. ;)

I find self-imposed water intake goals, especially the downright outrageous ones (two gallons?) to be very similar to eating disorders. It's mostly about a need to feel in control.

If I felt the need to monitor my fluid intake (I never have and barring a medical condition that necessitates doing so highly doubt I ever will), I think some formula of "x amount of water per pound/kilogram of body weight" makes the most sense. Blanket recommendations of "x amount per day" make no sense, given that it's highly unlikely that a 100 pound female needs anywhere near the fluid intake that a 250 pound male needs. Even a formula based on so much water per pound of body weight is just a rough estimation. Fluid intake needs will vary with activity level, heat and humidity.