I'm super unmotivated to exercise at home... HELP!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm 23 years old, 5'2" and weigh 129lbs. Before I started dating my boyfriend (2 years ago) I was around 112-115lbs. He is a couch potato and doesn't like to leave his home, whereas I love to take walks, rollerblade, ice skate, swim, etc. Unfortunately his laziness has reflected onto me :(. I used to be really fit. I did weight training, zumba, dance, and aerobics all before I met him (and before I worked).
Anyway, I cannot afford a gym membership right now as I am still paying off student loans, so to compensate I have just downloaded exercise apps on my phone. The problem is, I do them for like a week then I get bored. I tried dance fitness from my laptop which I really love, but I just want something more intense, such as bootcamp. However it is very hard so me to get motivated when there is no trainer or people around me. It just gets boring. I also feel like the exercises aren't doing anything, which unmotivates me even more.
I have changed my diet cold turkey with no problems. I like eating healthy anyway because I have a sensitive digestive system.

Has anybody else had this problem? I really don't know what to do.. I wish there more stimulating phone apps, or apps that actually made me feel like I had a hardcore workout.
If you could offer me any advice that would be great.

Thanks!

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I like the DVDs that have music and a very structured program and a trainer/coach leading. I'm doing a lifting one now and did T25 for 3 months. They're expensive enough that if I buy them I'm committed to finishing them. I've also bought some of Jillian's DVDs which are a lot cheaper and a little older, but haven't used them yet. I like that every four weeks they change up some exercises. At the end of one DVD I'm ready for a new one.

I've also done some online exercise programs but only as "fillers". Lots of great stuff out there. You could try YouTube workouts till you find one you like. Stick with it got s month then change. After awhile you'll be in the habit of working out and what the workout is wont matter much anymore. Once you become a "workout junkie" it'll be a lot easier and you won't care who else is a couch potato.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can also check out your local school or community center. They often have classes or activities that may just be enough to jump start you into a better pattern. They are usually free or just a small fee.
  • ernyvonnr
    ernyvonnr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dance fitness with Jessica on YouTube is pretty intense. I always wake up the next day with my legs sore :)
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You need to get your mind in sync with your desires to get fit. Makeup your mind..do you want to get fit or not? If so, then do it!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Y in town? Most offer subsidized memberships.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I live in a tiny rural town with no gym what so ever! My partner has never lifted a weight in his life! We have only lived her for a couple of years before that I had a gym membership and it was easy! This time it's taken me a few start ups and slip ups before I found my rhythm again! It was the short 7-10min cardio apps that got me going again and a good 20 weight session (I have a home gym now) it's been 6 months now and I've never felt or looked better!! Best thing is I've found my happy medium between life and training and I still have a beer or 5 with my partner on weekends!......but best thing is the change in my body, and energy levels has actually got him talking about wanting to get healthier :smile: stick with it girl!! Add me if you would like!
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fitness blender videos and there are SO many pilates options too! I truly enjoy pilates so it's one I always feel motivated to do so long as I have privacy. I also have a wii, I have the fit games and the balance board. There is NO STOPPING me once I get the Hula hoop game going. There's also an obstacle course game that involves walking in place and semi squats to 'jump' so that's a good burn. Running in place game gives me something to look at while I run which helps me finish a few levels.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    I enjoy fitness blender videos and there are SO many pilates options too! I truly enjoy pilates so it's one I always feel motivated to do so long as I have privacy. I also have a wii, I have the fit games and the balance board. There is NO STOPPING me once I get the Hula hoop game going. There's also an obstacle course game that involves walking in place and semi squats to 'jump' so that's a good burn. Running in place game gives me something to look at while I run which helps me finish a few levels.

I'm challenged by Fitness Blender's routines. You can work at your own level. There are many, so variety is not a problem. Getting yourself to do the work is something you'll have to work on. If you want it, you'll do the work. If you don't...
  • nictiffss
    nictiffss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help everyone! I love fitness blender and dance fitness by jessica. The only thing is, I don't have a lot of room in my room to workout, and the rest of the house is always full of people :(. Its really hard to do workouts with such little space!
    I do have a Ymca about a 20 minute walk from my house, so maybe I'll get a membership there. Its $58 which isn't too bad compared to most gyms.

• Kathamo
    Kathamo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you would really enjoy FitnessClass, a subscription service that you can use with your computer, ipad, or android device. For $10 per month you get unlimited streaming of hundreds of fitness classes ranging from yoga to intense strength training and dance workouts. You may benefit from Cathe Friedrich's workouts; her "STS" series is a challenging strength training program geared toward women (but is great for men too); it requires some hand weights (I use 2 and 5 lbs and combine them for 7 lbs) but not a lot of room. There are tons of classes that require no special equipment whatsoever, and plenty of variety whether you want intense cardio or just a fun dance class.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like the YMCA membership idea. The twenty minute walk to and from is an added bonus. I think you are a social person so I say work with your temperament and find the things that really gets you jazzed. It's OK to have a partner who is a homebody. Opposites attract and all that. I worked out on my own for a couple years before hubby got interested. I do what I need to for my health and when he's ready he tags along.

You might consider joining something like a softball league or ballroom dancing if you really like being fit in a social setting.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    ITA you-tube and fitness bender has been my go to-I LOVE even looking up the older Jillian micheals dvds- orsometimes I do leslie sansome walking dvds-might consider amazon.com has some good used dvds which are pretty cheap.
  • shavauns1
    shavauns1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really love step aerobics from home. Its fun and you really work up a serious sweat. All you need to do is buy a stepper. Jenny Fords step workouts are the greatest and she has alot of videos on youtube which is free. When you want to do some weight training just buy a few sets of weights and there you go. You have a home gym and you never have to pay for a gym membership...I love it and I work out everyday. I also bought a jump rope. FYI you can burn 190 calories in just 10 minutes of jumping rope. Good luck and reach out to me if you need more tips.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Are there fitness or running Meetup groups in your area? Or some running or Lululemon stores often sponsor free classes to get people into their stores.
  • AmandaTucker127
    AmandaTucker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm basically in the same situation as you except I'm losing baby fat. My husband doesn't have any kind of motivation to even so much as take a 30 minute walk with me. I've been using the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and love it!! It gets challenging the after the first 2 weeks. Feel free to add me, we have close to the same stats! And if you ever do Jillian Michaels Body Revolution let me know, it would be nice to have a partner to follow along with them :)