What (frozen) vegetables to eat?

Options
Hello everybody!

I eat a lot of frozen vegetables everyday because I can only afford fresh ones every now and then (at least where I live, frozen ones are WAY more affordable). My question is... What kind of vegetables should I be consuming on a daily basis to get the most benefits? Should I eat a blend of vegetables or focus on one or a few (I heard before that broccoli has more benefits than all other vegetables combined but idk if that is true, for example)?

I never had the habit of eating vegetables in my life before so now I'm a bit confused as I try to learn about this new world, lol. I basically want to know what kind of vegetables or blend I would benefit the most from, I don't really care about the taste, I'm thinking health-wise and what would aid the most with my weight loss. Suggestions of specific brands or blends would also be very welcome! :)

Thank you in advance

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Whatever vegetables you like the most… They are all beneficial to your health.

Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Green beans
    Peas
    Corn
    Potatoes
    Zucchini
    Squash
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    There are so many vegetables and they all have nutritious benefits. You need all colours - white, green, yellow, orange and red. Where I live [UK} all colours can be bought frozen.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My dietitian suggested getting a variety of the deeper colored vegetables, both orange and dark green. The richer the color, the more vitamins are to be had.

For the orange, there are carrots, yam, squash. (Contain zeaxanthin, flavonoids, lycopene, potassium, vitamin C and beta-carotene, which is vitamin A.) - source

For the dark green there's the spinach, kale, peas, broccoli and romaine lettuces. Frozen spinach can easily be added to omelets and casseroles. (Contain folate, and carotenoids. These vegetables also contain vitamins C and K and the minerals iron and calcium.)

I like edamame seed pods because their macros are balanced and for a vegetable, relatively high in protein.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    We do tons of O Organics California style veggies- They contain Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Carrots, occasionally we add in a bag of mixed veggies that comes with lima beans, peas, corn and carrots...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    broccoli & cauliflower.
  • Likichina
    Likichina Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your insights, seems like a good variety is the way to go then, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again! :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I can't believe Brussels Sprouts haven't been mentioned yet.

BRUSSELS SPROUTS!!!

[ETA:] Not because there's anything magical about them. Just 'cause they're delicious.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Likichina wrote: »
    Hello everybody!

I eat a lot of frozen vegetables everyday because I can only afford fresh ones every now and then (at least where I live, frozen ones are WAY more affordable). My question is... What kind of vegetables should I be consuming on a daily basis to get the most benefits? Should I eat a blend of vegetables or focus on one or a few (I heard before that broccoli has more benefits than all other vegetables combined but idk if that is true, for example)?

I never had the habit of eating vegetables in my life before so now I'm a bit confused as I try to learn about this new world, lol. I basically want to know what kind of vegetables or blend I would benefit the most from, I don't really care about the taste, I'm thinking health-wise and what would aid the most with my weight loss. Suggestions of specific brands or blends would also be very welcome! :)

Thank you in advance

I just try to rotate through as many veggies as I can for variety. They're so great stir-fryed, marinated, steamed and seasoned with onion/garlic/black pepper. I like creamy avocado as an addition, and also the broths from the meats I'm eating.
    I aim for 454g of them daily.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

BRUSSELS SPROUTS!!!

[ETA:] Not because there's anything magical about them. Just 'cause they're delicious.

If I had the option to choose between fresh and frozen brussels sprouts, I'd go for the fresh all the time. They're so much tastier when split in half and roasted. I don't think frozen ones would do well if I tried to roast them.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    All types! Can do medley blends which some supermarkets and marts offer.

But usually broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, kale, spinach, peas, corn.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some taste better fresh but frozen often have more nutrition because they are flash frozen near the farms. Broccoli is my favorite. :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I eat a variety of vegetables. Each one has a different balance of nutrients. One way to get a lot of them in one dish is to make a vegetable soup, with several kinds of frozen vegetables, canned tomatoes, and if you want complete protein, canned beans and dry rice. I also like roasting vegetables: toss them with a little oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them in a hot oven until they're done.

It's worth splurging on a few dried herbs and ground spices to season your veggies, too; a little goes a long way.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

BRUSSELS SPROUTS!!!

If I had the option to choose between fresh and frozen brussels sprouts, I'd go for the fresh all the time. They're so much tastier when split in half and roasted. I don't think frozen ones would do well if I tried to roast them.

I have tried roasting them frozen before, does not taste good! Lol