Thank you Walking

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Nice progress, OP. Did you make any other significant changes to your lifestyle? Have you tried incorporating any other types of cardio or explored strength training?

Yes. I started biking and kayaking in the summer, but mostly just walking. I recently got a Weider version of the Total Gym which I am starting to do a couple times a week for muscular exercise.

Nice. I used to stick with only cardio and didn't realize what I was missing with the strength training. I can't say enough good things about it. What about nutrition? Did you change your diet at all when you started increasing your physical activity?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Congrats! The only exercise I do is walking. I walk around 20kms/12miles every day.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was going to blow off my walking today because it's misty and cold out. You've convinced me to put on my shoes, an extra sweater and get out there. Thank you for the inspiration!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Nice progress, OP. Did you make any other significant changes to your lifestyle? Have you tried incorporating any other types of cardio or explored strength training?

Yes. I started biking and kayaking in the summer, but mostly just walking. I recently got a Weider version of the Total Gym which I am starting to do a couple times a week for muscular exercise.

Nice. I used to stick with only cardio and didn't realize what I was missing with the strength training. I can't say enough good things about it. What about nutrition? Did you change your diet at all when you started increasing your physical activity?

I agree with this @tincanonastring I used to do a bunch of cardio myself but one day realized that I was just a smaller version of myself. My body wasn't changing in the ways I had hoped. So finally I began strength training and that's when the real changes happened ! Good bye flab, hello abs !
    I'm not knocking anyone for their choices of exercise, anything is better then just sitting on the couch. But I do love strength training the best.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Good job. I like walking when I just need to clear my head but other than that I get bored with it too easily.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    well done I am walking loads to at the moment .. or cycling. I am getting more and more into exercising outside.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

When I first started I had to lay down for an hour after walking 1 mile at a slow pace, I was so out of shape, I couldn't even get a training effect, so I had to log all my food because I was not burning all that many calories. After months of paining my way to being able to get a training effect I was burning a lot more calories because I could do it faster and longer, so at that point I just started ball parking my calories. Now I am training myself to eat right without logging. I had a couple lb. hiccup but am back on track with losing a lb. a week without logging.

I have always liked nutritious foods, and just keep the treats to a minimum. Over all I eat more now than I used to, and don't have to feel hungry all the time.

I take the army approach... stay fit... eat a variety of food (to get all your body needs)... and you will be healthy and maintain a healthy body weight.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    Ok, I was going to blow off my walking today because it's misty and cold out. You've convinced me to put on my shoes, an extra sweater and get out there. Thank you for the inspiration!

You just inspired me for inspiring you, so I just went out and did a mile and a half at a walk/jog... :)
  • Christine_72
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Good job. I like walking when I just need to clear my head but other than that I get bored with it too easily.

I'm the opposite. For me, Weight lifting or going to the gym is mind numbingly boring.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    Congrats! The only exercise I do is walking. I walk around 20kms/12miles every day.

HOLY COW!!!

You're kicking my butt!

AWESOME!
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    westln wrote: »
    I lost 100 pounds of pregnancy weight in 11 mo.10 years ago and have kept it off. Walking and strength training was my method as well and I maintain my weight because I am like Forrest Gump. I haven't stopped walking. I started out doing 8 miles a day.

WOW!

You did great!

WALK FORREST... :)
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm a walker too! Am curious to see how well I do this winter. I'm near Boston. It was 60 today, but that won't last.

You never know, the el nino has really effected Michigan's regular weather with warmth... but the winds, ugh
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    well done I am walking loads to at the moment .. or cycling. I am getting more and more into exercising outside.

I know what you mean about outside. I bought an elliptical and every minute on that thing felt like an hour. I gave it to my Daughter. I would rather walk outside naked in the freezing cold for an hour than go on that elliptical for a single minute... :)
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I'm a walker too! Am curious to see how well I do this winter. I'm near Boston. It was 60 today, but that won't last.

You never know, the el nino has really effected Michigan's regular weather with warmth... but the winds, ugh

I hate the wind too. I was walking around this lake last week and the wind made it so unenjoyable. I toughed my way through it, but was glad when that walk was over. But it does make the nice walks that much nicer.
  • Christine_72
    Options

HOLY COW!!!

You're kicking my butt!

AWESOME!

Haha It's become somewhat of an addiction :open_mouth:
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »

I hate the wind too. I was walking around this lake last week and the wind made it so unenjoyable. I toughed my way through it, but was glad when that walk was over. But it does make the nice walks that much nicer.

Yeah, for me it gives me ear aches. I go with my dog who gets chronic ear infections (because she hates me and wants to see the vet all the time), and high winds are bad for her ears too :( When it's windy and cold, though... CANNOT DO ITTTT lol! You did awesome, though, congrats on your results :D
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing everyone. Walking is the only exercise I have been willing to do so far. I walk about an hour and 20 minutes every day doing laps or treadmill. 10k-12k steps 6 or 7 days a week. Working on speed walking now. Would like to build more endurance.

When I started this summer I could only go 10 minutes at a time. Walking has made a huge difference in how I feel. Love being able to run up the stairs without feeling like a heart attack waiting to happen.
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    I love walking, too, but am happy when I do my 2.5 mile trek around town. I dread the winter in PA, not only the temperature, but the early darkness really interferes with my walking.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Way to get it!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am a walker too and I do not let weather keep me from it (unless it gets to about 20° below 0° F ). Just know how to dress and get to it. I live in Wisconsin and am enjoying the current mild weather, but am really itching for snow so I can break out my snowshoes.