Weight loss while on birth control?

Options
Now, I know we've all heard the stories of extreme weight gain while under birth control pills, depo shot and nuva ring among other forms of birth control. Some doctors claim for it to be a myth, others say weight gain is unevitable due to water retention and appetite increase. I've read countless stories of women who say they work out 5-7x a week for an hour or two, eat healthy, cut down on sodium and still manage to gain weight. It's disappointing to hear this.

I have never been on birth control. I recently got the pill prescribed to me. I haven't been able to start it yet, being that I have to wait to get on my period. But now I'm contemplating if the pros outweigh the cons. I fear my weight becoming a factor out of my control. I fear dedicating hours exercising and a healthy diet and coming to no avail. I'm not even at my halfway goal. My goal is to lose 40lbs and I've barely lost 17.

What I really am wondering is if its possible to lose weight while on the pill? I'm asking you, my fellow MFP friends. I have made myself a bit paranoid and feel that the pill will affect me for the worse. I know it has different affects on each person, but weight changes seems to be a common sideaffect. Haven't read of a person saying they didn't gain any lbs. I really would like some personal responses. This is stressing me out, I'm unsure if to even try them out.

Replies

• mixmastermel_b
    mixmastermel_b Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    17 lbs is a great accomplishment so far! congratulations!

you are right-- every single medication has different side effects and the degree can really vary. from personal experience i've been taking the pill form of birth control for 11 years and have not had weight gain be one of them. i've even taken different brands over the years and still nothing drastic. i do not believe the pill is the reason is for my weight changes... i've been able to lose weight before and am currently progressing along nicely.

good for you for taking control over your repro organs!
  • leahdanbury
    leahdanbury Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've been on BC since December and before i started working out i was at a constant weight, no gain or lose. I've been working out and eat right since the beginning of the month and have dropped 6 lbs...it is possible!
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    Options
    Im on the contraceptive pill as well (Microgynon 30) and Ive never gained any weight on it. I do however gain a few lbs exactly 1 week before Im due on but within a few days the extra weight has dissappeared again. It just must be water retention.
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 13 years and have lost large amounts of weight several times while on it. I also know that my weight gain over the years had nothing to do with the pill and everything to do with my lifestyle.
  • 90poundsoflard
    Options
    I've been on the pill for almost 2 years, and I've lost 41 lbs. in the last 9 months. Prior to that I had not been trying to lose, but I had not gained. The worst thing for me is that I am now prehypertensive - before I went on the pill my B/P was consistently 128/72.
  • dlafarga
    dlafarga Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all! I really appreciate your responses. I feel much better about this whole situation now. :)