Loose skin

Options
Shull_rachael
Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
edited December 2015 in Getting Started
Im just starting my weight loss journey and I so afraid of how my skin will look. I have about 130lbs to loss. Anyone else with weight to loose have this fear? Or even went through this?

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I thought about it but didn't let it stop me from dropping the weight. No regrets at all. It was the best thing I've done in a very long time. Lose it slow, drink your water, work out. You're young....I carried my weight for decades & I feel very lucky to not have a lot of saggy/excess skin. Only thing that bothers me is 'batwings' but I'll gladly take that vs the 150 lbs I was carrying.

24197508.png
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    airangel59 wrote: »
    I thought about it but didn't let it stop me from dropping the weight. No regrets at all. It was the best thing I've done in a very long time. Lose it slow, drink your water, work out. You're young....I carried my weight for decades & I feel very lucky to not have a lot of saggy/excess skin. Only thing that bothers me is 'batwings' but I'll gladly take that vs the 150 lbs I was carrying.

24197508.png

EXACTLY!!!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I think about it, but I dont focus on it. I will see what happens when I am to a weight that I am happy with.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm down 90 lbs from my heaviest, and no loose skin.

From what I've read there's a few things that determine whether you get loose skin as you lose weight:
    • Your genes -- no control over that. :(
    • How fast you lose weight -- slow loss equals less loose skin
    • How much you exercise -- building muscle leads to less loose skin
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm down 90 lbs from my heaviest, and no loose skin.

From what I've read there's a few things that determine whether you get loose skin as you lose weight:
    • Your genes -- no control over that. :(
    • How fast you lose weight -- slow loss equals less loose skin
    • How much you exercise -- building muscle leads to less loose skin

Thank you for the info! I'm hoping I don't have any!
  • bgmoses
    bgmoses Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on that, have that worry also but there comes a point when you can't let that stop you.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    That's a problem for Future Paul. I mean, there's no good worrying about a problem I can't really do much about. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it; in the worst case I can afford the surgery if I really end up looking bad because of it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    airangel59 wrote: »

24197508.png

^^This! 120 lb lost, 30 left to goal. I don't think I'll have too much. Most of what people call loose skin is actually excess fat.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Im just starting my weight loss journey and I so afraid of how my skin will look. I have about 130lbs to loss. Anyone else with weight to loose have this fear? Or even went through this?

I will say, I've been on this site now 2-3 years.....have lost 104 lbs now.....and I have no loose skin.....I believe it's WHAT you eat, HOW you eat, and most importantly how much WATER you intake.....I was told back in High School, in our physical education/health class, the body is made up of a HUGE percentage of water.....if you sweat and sweat and sweat it out working out, and don't keep that water replenished, your body loses it's skin elasticity.....by keeping hydrated, the water stays "hydrated" and keeps it's "elasticity" (think of like an elastic yoga pants or something.....)

I typically aim for MINIMUM half of my CURRENT body weight (179 lbs) in Fluid Ounces of water PER day....for me, that magic number is 89.5...that sounds like a lot......yes, 11 CUPS of water.....but if you are drinking throughout the day, it comes easy......I typically drink 2 glasses of water upon waking.......2 glasses before breakfast.......2 glasses before my lunch, and 2 glasses before dinner.....the rest come in throughout the day, when I'm working out, I'll easy go through 6 cups of water (which is only 2 "Shaker Bottle" worth of water)......

My designated water bottle of choice is the Shaker Bottle ;)
    61j_C_v6qn_UL_SL1500.jpg

Find one you like, and roll with it, I say ;) They are kinda expensive...but I've even seen them on Wish and Geek for like 3$ + shipping......