when you're just starting out and feel you can you eat an cow. HELP

Options
I just started this lifestyle of eating better food choices. It's really tough not easy. RIght now I feel like eating and eating. Today I ate 2 bananas already. Love those suckers but they are to sweet as well. However, I need to give myself credit that I haven't ate fast food or junk food. I have tried to keep it clean. Right now I feel like eating so much. I need to learn how to educated myself . I guess this is part of the process. Not easy I can say not easy . I need all the support and motivation in the world. Not something easy for an overeater person. Going to drink 16oz of water and take my mind of this. How did you handle the phase when you feel you can eat and eat and eat but yet you know your not suppose to ?

Replies

• ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to figure out what fills you up longest. Lots of trial and error. I find if I slice up a banana put it on bread with peanut butter it makes a much more filling snack then a banana alone.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that maybe your food choices and calorie intake may be playing a role in this?
    Two bananas are a healthy choice, but not a great choice to fill you up and keep you full.
    People often tend to cut back way too drastically when they start to diet and often end up choosing lower calorie but less filling foods. There has to be a balance of cutting calories but still achieving satiety. For example, fat keeps us satiated but people often choose low fat foods when dieting. Adding a little fat back in often goes a long way in keeping people full. I find it is pretty common among people who try to eat "clean" as well.

It's hard to say if this may be your issue since your diary is closed. What is your calorie intake at?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You may be starting out too aggressive. You really shouldn't be hungry all the time, it's too hard on the mind and body, and usually a sign you're eating too little overall. Also, there's no need to cut any of the foods out of your diet to lose weight. All you need to do to lose weight is maintain a consistent calorie deficit.

Also, just 'cause I really wanna know...what's wrong with bananas?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You may be starting out too aggressive. You really shouldn't be hungry all the time, it's too hard on the mind and body, and usually a sign you're eating too little overall. Also, there's no need to cut any of the foods out of your diet to lose weight. All you need to do to lose weight is maintain a consistent calorie deficit.

Also, just 'cause I really wanna know...what's wrong with bananas?

This.
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it takes a bit of time.. Example I ate 1/2 cup of egg beaters, 2 slices of 45 calorie wheat bread, 1 tablespoon of butter and thinly slice of pepper jack cheese.. It was 388 calories and I'm stuffed! Just experiment a bit.. You'll figure it out, just don't give up!
  • MarisolSol76
    MarisolSol76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that maybe your food choices and calorie intake may be playing a role in this?
    Two bananas are a healthy choice, but not a great choice to fill you up and keep you full.
    People often tend to cut back way too drastically when they start to diet and often end up choosing lower calorie but less filling foods. There has to be a balance of cutting calories but still achieving satiety. For example, fat keeps us satiated but people often choose low fat foods when dieting. Adding a little fat back in often goes a long way in keeping people full. I find it is pretty common among people who try to eat "clean" as well.

It's hard to say if this may be your issue since your diary is closed. What is your calorie intake at?

How do I open diary?
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    If you eat high protein lean meats, you will get satisfied for longer (not to mention they are very low in calories). It also helps to get your water intake to 14+ cups a day. You can also eat a ton of veggies. You don't have to be hungry. Just try changing your food choices around. Good luck!
  • eat4dathealth
    eat4dathealth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but an apple with peanut butter seems to keep me full for a really long time. Just be careful not to overdo the peanut butter I suppose for calories sake. I usually eat about 1 tablespoon of peanut butter per apple.
  • itsflaccoi
    itsflaccoi Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Say this to everyone that is having problems with Keeping there self together dy6nozs5gl4y.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    What @Ninkyou said in the pic above is great advice.

You should not be hungry all the time. You might have your weekly goal set too high.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

You don't need to avoid "fast food" or "junk food" completely. All food nourishes.

You will find it much easier to stick to your calorie limit long enough to lose the weight if you don't deprive yourself.

• MarisolSol76
    Options
    If you eat high protein lean meats, you will get satisfied for longer (not to mention they are very low in calories). It also helps to get your water intake to 14+ cups a day. You can also eat a ton of veggies. You don't have to be hungry. Just try changing your food choices around. Good luck!
    Thanks :) I have been craving liver so much these past days. ....I am avoiding junk food because that's what I don't want to keep doing. I need to learn that real food is out there and cook or make healthier. I'm not really craving junk food anyways. But there where times I felt hungry during the day. ....
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with two bananas and I don't understand the "too sweet" comment? Don't complicate this. You may not be eating as few calories as you want right now, but are probably consuming less than you did before

This is where you open your diary, you can set it to "public" here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight AND keep it off, you need stick to habits that will mean you can keep at your calorie limit for life.

Changing your diet and restricting foods you love isn't sustainable in the long term. Most people usually play "catch-up" and gain it all back when they end their diet.

The only change I've made is to eat at my calorie limit. I still eat things I love, or "crave", if you will. I just eat less of them. I don't diet. That's how I've lost 25 kg since April.

Hope this helps.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating bananas. They are a highly nutritious and beneficial food. Please do not eliminate nutritious food that you enjoy from your diet. It is not necessary or helpful to do so.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Making better (not 'healthier') food choices can leave you feeling fuller for longer. Some people find spreading their fat intake out over the day really helps, some find the same for protein, or both.

No need to feel bad about the bananas, for weight loss it's just the calories that matter. You say you're avoiding junk food, but I must ask: Are you going to never have another pizza or burger for the rest of your life? That's what all this is about, permanent lifestyle change. I know personally that I set myself the rule 'No more pizza ever!' then I am going to fail at some point, and setting myself up for failure is not something I consider a good move.

If you want junk food, have junk food. Just make sure it fits into your calorie allowance (and if you are going for being healthier in addition to the weight loss, make sure if fits into your macros too!). The best diet is the diet that you can stick to forever without it feeling like deprivation.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Open diary by going to settings.
    Change your goals to lose one pound a week.
    Drinking a lot of water does not help lose weight unless it is something you like to do. I drink 4 to 6 cups of fluid, depending on what other foods I am eating and how much I sweat in my work outs.
    You can eat bananas and other sweet things. You also do not have to eat CLEAN. Do eat enough protein. Try to eat enough fat/oils.
    Get a scale. Weigh your food in grams. Log foods the day before (pre-log)
    Focus the first two weeks on using the diary. After two weeks you will mostly have the hang of this.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ragenhay1 wrote: »
    It takes a while to figure out what fills you up longest. Lots of trial and error
    +1

You definitely don't have to eat clean, but are you comfortable with and used to cooking, or did you mostly eat out before you started this diet? You can eat out and lose, but it's cheaper to cook and easier to control things. Or maybe a bit more of a structured approach would help kick you off. What are your favourite foods?

Basically though, you'll probably be ok for fullness if you make your lunches and dinners look like this:
    - 4-6 oz of protein (meat or a protein substitute) - or a bit more, depending on your allowance for the day or the meal. I usually have more like 6-8 oz
    - ~1/2-3/4 cup (or 1 cup, again depending on your allowance) of some kind of carbohydrate (potatoes, rice, pasta, or beans or legumes, which also give you a bit more fiber + some extra protein)
    - 1-2 cups of your favourite veg
    - a serving of fat (~0.5-1 tablespoon, depending on your allowance)

(I find cooking veg for breakfast to be slightly more work than I'm up for, so I just have eggs and toast with maybe some tomatoes. Plus coffee, sometimes yogurt if I'm still hungry. But I do that because I like yogurt and the Greek kind gives me extra protein.)
  • MarisolSol76
    Options
    [quote="ultrahoon;34811480"

Are you going to never have another pizza or burger for the rest of your [/quote]
    To your question ....No. that's not my plan. But being a person that almost ate out everyday. To actually cooking and looking what goes into my body it's a huge step and change. I am sure they are going to be days where I am going to eat a slice of pizza. But right now I am trying to not have them. I am to addictive to these kind of foods and I need to make changes to my own bad habits.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    It's ok to be hungry, we are all hungry a lot of the time, especially if we are working out to create a larger deficit........BUT it's also ok to eat pizza!! Do what it takes to make Marisol happy....have a slice of pizza, but not 4....have a yummy burger with cheese, but only have it once this week! When I have weeks that I just can't stop eating, I make sure to buy a bag of almonds, a bag of apples, grapes, strawberries....anything little that I can pop in my mouth if hunger shows up when it's not invited. 5 little almonds will fill that little hungry spot for another hour until it's time to actually BE hungry again....And if you eat a little more of those snackies than expected, at least they were healthy, and contribute to your macros....YOU CAN DO THIS! Don't question yourself too much, relax a little, and let yourself fall into your plan. One day at a time. xo